• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] CM-10.2 UNOFFICIAL Samsung Galaxy Victory

CM-10 will be the most stable. chairshot is pushing commits to that on a regular basis. I don't own this device any longer. I plan on getting the kernel working with the most recent patches from d2 kernel upstream, then I'm done unless someone sends me the device, which I'm NOT asking anyone to do. The files will stay on the host and if anyone does want to pick this up I'll give them access to the file server also.

Sweet...definitely would like to check out the kernel.

As far as CM10 goes...it looks good, but since I do take pictures with a camera app every now and then, the no-camera bug is what keeps me away from using the CM10 build as a daily driver.

Upvote 0
You can't even use a non stock camera? Something from the market?

Negatory.

I have tried CameraZoom FX, Camera ICS+, sideloaded Camera JB+. All three will force close. FX does what the stock camera does though, it'll freeze and then close.

On ICS and JB+, it will say "Camera not detected." On JB+, it's that and worse...it will also freeze and I have to do the battery pull and restart.

My suspicion is that even third party camera apps still need access to base camera .so and libs for it to work.

Upvote 0
Got brave. Manipulated the updater-script in the 9/17 build to detect the MC1 bootloader.

Bad idea. It went into a bootloop every 60 seconds.

UPDATE: Tried it again. This time I got rather OCD and wiped dalvik+cache after flashing the ROM and once again after flashing Gapps.

Looks OK. Will report after a few hours.

Needed to underclock, the max freq is 1.5 ghz, but it made the phone move so fast that it froze and rebooted. Twice. So needed to bump the min to 486, max is down to 1242. CFQ scheduler is a mess. Went back to ROW, which apparently is specially formulated for Samsung devices since the SIII came out.

UPDATE 2: That went swimmingly well. Almost everything would cause the phone to reboot. Something must be missing...

Upvote 0
Any news on this 4.3 build. The source code now has entered the stable phase as CM has moved on to dev'ing CM11...so 10.2 is as stable as it gets outside of the occasional M-build.

I thought about trying it out again, but if I wanted to, how would I downgrade my MC1 back to LH1 or LJ9. Manipulating the updater-script by swapping out the VM MG5 string for the MC1 string did not seem to work all too well.

Link

Upvote 0
So is development on this more or less halted? It looks like after Interloper lost his device, it has been just folks taking shots in the dark (and more-or-less not getting anywhere), right?

I mean, I could be missing something, but the lack of activity in the thread isn't all that enthusiastic either. :)

The device is relatively cheap on ebay now (average around $55), that's actually why I'm likely picking one up. If enough people are interested in getting a device back into Interloper's hands, it could be a few bucks per person. Maybe even less (I'm having a hard time judging how many users there actually are for this currently).

Just figured I'd throw that out there, hoping this device still gets shown some love after I get it!

Upvote 0
But if you somehow ended up with a device, do you think it could progress further?

Definitely. But, I can't make any guarantees. The guys who did the apexqtmo and expressatt are much better kernel hacks than I am. If the community could live with cm-10.2 that would be much more likely since it's a closer API level than cm-11.0.

Upvote 0
Definitely. But, I can't make any guarantees. The guys who did the apexqtmo and expressatt are much better kernel hacks than I am. If the community could live with cm-10.2 that would be much more likely since it's a closer API level than cm-11.0.

Honestly, it would be cool to see any version of CM working on this hardware personally. I don't care if it is the latest and greatest as long as it would work.

I like options that are removed from Samsung's stock UIs. :)

As far as getting a device, I just caught wind of this:
Free Samsung Galaxy Victory no contract 10-22-2013 - Page 244 - Slickdeals.net

Apparently some folks picked up some pay-as-you-go phones during some special deal (months ago) and later realized they don't know what to do with them. They now have unused Victorys collecting dust. They appear to not work on Sprint service currently (likely ESN related since they bought the phone and left), but I'm assuming they are the same hardware as any other Sprint GV.

Upvote 0
Honestly, it would be cool to see any version of CM working on this hardware personally. I don't care if it is the latest and greatest as long as it would work.

I like options that are removed from Samsung's stock UIs. :)

As far as getting a device, I just caught wind of this:
Free Samsung Galaxy Victory no contract 10-22-2013 - Page 244 - Slickdeals.net

Apparently some folks picked up some pay-as-you-go phones during some special deal (months ago) and later realized they don't know what to do with them. They now have unused Victorys collecting dust. They appear to not work on Sprint service currently (likely ESN related since they bought the phone and left), but I'm assuming they are the same hardware as any other Sprint GV.

I got two of them from that deal and they work on Ringplus just fine. I suspect most of the people from that thread are doing the same, or using Ting.

Upvote 0
I got two of them from that deal and they work on Ringplus just fine. I suspect most of the people from that thread are doing the same, or using Ting.

Yes, but look at the posts at the end of that thread (yesterday/today). There are a few people who bought a bunch of them and are now collecting dust- they are literally asking for suggestions re: what to do with them! I think one guy said he has 7 of them...

Not going to help with virgin Roms. You need a virgin mobile victory to build from
I wouldn't flash a virgin ROM on a non virgin victory

:: points to Sprint section::
That's exactly why we're discussing NOT getting a VM one! The whole point Mr. Madbat, is to try and get some more support for Sprint here. You guys in VM are literally having a ROM party compared to what's going on here. :/

I understand the hardware is slightly different between these carriers, which is why I'm specifically looking to source a Sprint one!

Upvote 0
They are sprint pay as you go phones. I assume same rom and hardware as their post paid options.

That would be affirmative. Been running G60's CM10 build since November. Good thing I held on to my old VM Optimus V since the camera isn't working on the GV CM10 build.

But I'd be game to test out future cm10.2 builds that would boot and is relatively newer. I tried my hand at the original 10.2 build by manipulating the updater-binary to take the MG5 bootloader, it works, it boots.

Except any higher-level function, like even Google sync causes it to reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones