1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Sprint] Could somebody give me some tips?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by windsorclarenc, Jan 9, 2013.

1. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    Male
    Windham, OH
    My parents recently updated from their Evos to the Galaxy Nexus. I unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP. SOOOO much easier than my Evo LTE was. I have a few (possibly silly) questions:
    1. What is a good stable solid ROM? My mom hates when anything at all goes wrong and it scares the heck out of her.
    2. What is a snappier ROM with some bells and whistles? My dad likes shiny and new.

I installed JBSourcery for the time being.

3. Are there any issues with kernel compatability? Like the Evo's Sense kernels and AOSP kernels. Or will all kernels work with all ROMs of the same Android version?
    4. Are there any kernels to help speed?
    5. Any cool tips or pitfalls to avoid for someone new to this phone?

Advertisement

2. AARONONE

AARONONE Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2010
    Male
    Los Angeles area
    I think that sorcery is very stable/snappy and you shouldn't have any problems. Best ROM out IMO.

As for kernels, it is phone specific. With that being said, I like the stock sorcery kernel that comes with it. I think most use Franco, lean, trinity, or air. All are very good (I am partial to Trinity). Kernels should be specific to the version of android.

Pitfalls to avoid are the 4.2 change in file system (probably already aware) but once you flash a 4.2 ROM, make sure you are using the latest twrp (preferred recovery). Otherwise, it will be hard to nandroid back to a 4.1 (not sure why one would want to go back).

Hope I got everything.

windsorclarenc likes this.
  3. slyd

slyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Female
    Land Surveyor / Mechanical Engineer
    San Diego
    Mmuzzy 4.2.1 is a very stable rom if you like the stock experience and your parents might appreciate that. And The stock kernel is great. Same can be said about maddoggin. Great battery life and everything works. Volumes that are too soft can be an issue with the Gnex but I found maddoggin solved it. Like Aaron said just make sure you are on the latest twrp (2.3.3 I think) BEFORE you flash the 4.2.1 rom.
    Edit - maddogin has a few more mods too that are really nice, not many but what he has are sweet.

windsorclarenc and AARONONE like this.
  4. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    Male
    Windham, OH
    Awesome, thanks for the tips! They seem pretty happy with JBSorcery at the moment, but I'm glad to know there are other options if they're unsatisfied. Everything seems pretty straight forward as far as flashing things is concerned.

PS I'm so jealous of that lock screen customization. I can't get that on my Evo LTE.

5. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Sourcery is insane. Codename android used to be the gold standard for customization but it can't hold a candle to the options in sourcery.

Tags: