1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint/Cricket] error installing cm11

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bankudo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

I am trying to install cm 11 on my Samsung s3 sprint variant, and i keep getting a ( E; Error executing updater binary in zip '/external_sd/twrp/cm-11-20140210-snapshot-m3-d2spr.zip). im really lost at this point, and as a new user i cannot include pictures, so anyone who is willing to help i'll send pictures via private message or if mods allow i'll post them here. thanks in advance for everything.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hatredg0d

hatredg0d Well-Known Member

Thats the wrong rom first off, they now use unified builds. You want D2LTE, then you may need to flash an apn fix or your data/mms may may not work.
    Secondly you may want to check and make sure you are on the latest version of philz recovery (or whatever one you use) before flashing as using an older version can also result in errors. Look at the upload dates for philz recovery the newest are at the bottom!

One more thing, some roms only support the newest bootloader/modem. If you ever need to do this you will need to flash the newest stock tar via odin, then re-root. Flashing an older one or attempting to downgrade the bootloader or modem later will result in a hard brick.

Mikestony and Bankudo like this.
  3. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

OK i'll try that, thank you for replying so soon, im not used to getting answers so quickly, im just getting into flashing phones with custom recoveries, so im trying to learn my best from others. will post back if more errors or success. :)

4. hatredg0d

Make sure you always do a backup before flashing anything. Safe practice to have a backup on your computer too just incase. What can go wrong will.

You said sprint variant so that could be a few different carriers. I will gladly help you more if need be, but it is probably best to post any further problems in your model/carriers all thing root section. Here is a list of root sections for this phone for convenience;

1. Sprint/Cricket
    2. AT&T
    3. Boost mobile
    4. Cricket
    5. International
    6. MetroPC/CDMA
    7. MetroPCS/GSM
    8. T-Mobile
    9. US Celluar
    10. Verizon
    11. Virgin Mobile
    12. S3 4G LTE International

Bankudo likes this.
  5. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

OK, so after following your previous advice it worked wonderfully :), i cannot thank you enough, and sorry if i posted this in any wrong section, im not too familiar with forums. the phone has two proper back-ups one sitting on a pc and the other on the phone itself, just to cover myself. but cm11 now runs on the phone, and works well :)

Mikestony and hatredg0d like this.
  6. hatredg0d

Just a heads up, my gps is currently not working using the 9/28 nightly build. If you like CM I highly suggest you try Liquid smooth. I am actually flashing back to LS in a few mins because my gps was working on LS and I am no longer happy without the "total blackout" feature of that rom.

Mikestony likes this.
  7. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

im using this one : cm-11-20140916-SNAPSHOT-M10-d2lte
    so im assumeing that is the liquid smooth?

8. hatredg0d

Liquid smooth is different rom. Its based on AOSP/CM so the experience is very similar. You can find more info on LS here . Really the only way to see if you will like a rom is to flash it and try it your self. If you decide you prefer CM then you simply restore your backup or flash it again.

If you do try LS I highly suggest trying out the Total black out option.

Mikestony and Bankudo like this.
  9. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

gahhh, now i wanna try liquid smooth... time to go link hunting i guess.. do you know where to find gapps for this?

10. hatredg0d

Mikestony likes this.
  11. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

too late on head 'splode

12. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

ok, so coming from my cm11, what all do i need to do to flash liquid smooth ver: LS-KK-v3.1-OFFICIAL-d2lte
    and
    gapps ver: pa_gapps-stock-4.4.4-20140930-signed.

is it as simple as boot into recovery and flash away, or do i need to factory reset then flash away?

and fyi this will go onto my samsung sIII t-mobile or SGH-T999.

P.S. maybe we should change this thread name to flashing adventures lol

13. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Hello and welcome Bankudo:)

Glad you could join us and awesome that hatredg0d gotcha going!! ;)

I also moved your thread into the root forum for T-mobile seeing as though this is for your T-mobile variant?

14. Bankudo

Bankudo Lurker

originally was for a sprint variant (for my girlfriend), but he got me sorted out on that, and we kinda deviated off topic...into liquid smooth and i wanted to put it on my phone which is the t-mobile variant

15. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Ah, ok no worries:) A few clicks and moved again :)

16. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Cm11 m11 snapshot is out now with GPS working

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews