• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Have Root, but not ClockWork Recovery

Zumaki

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
So I've been having some issues with my phone locking up and not coming out of sleep. It's been slowly getting worse, to the point that yesterday it froze like 5 or 6 times. So I finally bit the bullet and decided to sit down this morning and backup my stuff to re-flash everything and restore if needed.

When I booted to recovery, it was the standard "Android System Recovery <3e>" instead of ClockWork Recovery. Which is weird, because during my backup stuff, Titanium Backup Pro had root rights.

I'm about to re-do the root procedure of installing CW Recovery and then re-flash the stock ROM (I'm not in the mood for a custom one just yet) but I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with the phone not waking up from sleep. Anyone agree?

Edit: ClockWorkMod Recovery won't stick. I have root, but I always revert to Android Recovery after a reboot.

So I've been having some issues with my phone locking up and not coming out of sleep. It's been slowly getting worse, to the point that yesterday it froze like 5 or 6 times. So I finally bit the bullet and decided to sit down this morning and backup my stuff to re-flash everything and restore if needed.

When I booted to recovery, it was the standard "Android System Recovery <3e>" instead of ClockWork Recovery. Which is weird, because during my backup stuff, Titanium Backup Pro had root rights.

I'm about to re-do the root procedure of installing CW Recovery and then re-flash the stock ROM (I'm not in the mood for a custom one just yet) but I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with the phone not waking up from sleep. Anyone agree?

Edit: ClockWorkMod Recovery won't stick. I have root, but I always revert to Android Recovery after a reboot.

Make sure that you are flashing a stock ROOTED rom that has the stock recovery checking files removed. The stock version has files that will check every time to see if your recovery is the stock version. If it's not it WILL automatically flash the stock recovery every reboot.

Go here and download the latest stock rooted OTA (LI3). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1743923 Those files I described have been removed and whichever recovery you flash will stick.

Upvote 0
Update: no matter what i seem to try, the phone always reverts to the factory recovery after a reboot. I have to hook it up to Odin to do anything with clockworkmod.

My phone's box had an "updated" sticker on it when i got it. Did Sprint/Samsung maybe try to fix the root exploit?

Upvote 0
Update: no matter what i seem to try, the phone always reverts to the factory recovery after a reboot. I have to hook it up to Odin to do anything with clockworkmod.

My phone's box had an "updated" sticker on it when i got it. Did Sprint/Samsung maybe try to fix the root exploit?

No. The updated sticker means it had the latest firmware. Sprint has nothing to do with firmware. I got my free Gs3 from Samsung and it had the updated sticker.

Make sure you downloaded the latest version of Odin. Then the clockworkmod tar file. And try again.

Here is another idea, go on Google play and download goo manager. Once installed open, hit menu, then install open recovery. That's TWRP recovery.

If your rooted it will install. You don't need clockwork to install TWRP

Upvote 0
No. The updated sticker means it had the latest firmware. Sprint has nothing to do with firmware. I got my free Gs3 from Samsung and it had the updated sticker.

Make sure you downloaded the latest version of Odin. Then the clockworkmod tar file. And try again.

Here is another idea, go on Google play and download goo manager. Once installed open, hit menu, then install open recovery. That's TWRP recovery.

If your rooted it will install. You don't need clockwork to install TWRP

To add further instructions for Goo Manager, after opening the program press menu, install openrecoveryscript, yes, and allow it to reboot.

Upvote 0
All you have to do is flash with Odin bro. XDA has the proper recoveries.

Guys. I went to the root guide on this site and followed the instructions to the letter. Downloaded everything it said to via the links provided. Used Odin. And i have root because titanium backup works and lets me restore app data, which won't work with a locked phone. But after i flash cwm and reboot to recovery once, it ALWAYS reverts to the old recovery. I've installed cwm 7 times now. The damn default recovery keeps a count.

Upvote 0
Guys. I went to the root guide on this site and followed the instructions to the letter. Downloaded everything it said to via the links provided. Used Odin. And i have root because titanium backup works and lets me restore app data, which won't work with a locked phone. But after i flash cwm and reboot to recovery once, it ALWAYS reverts to the old recovery. I've installed cwm 7 times now. The damn default recovery keeps a count.

Are you accepting the official OTA? There are files in the official OTA that will check for the stock recovery and will try to install it every time you accept the update. Check my signature for the rom list and if you want the latest rooted stock rom (LI3) with those files removed, flash it over your stock set up. Flash the odexed version.

Reactions: Zumaki
Upvote 0
Are you accepting the official OTA? There are files in the official OTA that will check for the stock recovery and will try to install it every time you accept the update. Check my signature for the rom list and if you want the latest rooted stock rom (LI3) with those files removed, flash it over your stock set up. Flash the odexed version.

Usually it takes a few days for the issue to crop up, but I have a good feeling about it this time, because your post sounds like it hits on my problem.

I had fully intended when I first got the phone to avoid rooting it for a while, so I could explore all the things Samsung threw in to the phone. So I think I did do an OTA update. But then I couldn't restore my app data from the old phone, so I went ahead and rooted.

Thanks for the help! I hope the issue is licked this time.

Reactions: MusicJunkie
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones