• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Horrible beeps before and after voice to text, and google search

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2011
Oakland
when I start speech recognition, it emits a loud "bleepBloop" to inform me that it is ready, and then another bleep (a different one) when I am finished entering voice data.

Other forums have called this the "speech recognition bleep" and called it a generated tone.

I have also seen a secret code #*7200# that is supposed to mute the tone generator on an S3, but I am not sure of it will also mute the custom sounds I have for my rings and alerts

Using root browser, I have gone to every folder I know of in "system-media", and renamed or deleted all the sounds except for the five I use, (Email, SMS, Facebook alert, Ringtone and alarm tone) and I also searched for every aiff, MP3, Ogg, or WAV file I could find on the phone and could not find anything like what I hear every time I search using google, or enter voice to text mode.

this is baffling. Where are these sounds located on my S3? how can I get rid of them?
Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones