1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint/Cricket] new to samsung, newly rooted, not new to root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theTrashcanMan, Aug 13, 2012.

1. theTrashcanMan

theTrashcanMan Well-Known Member

Well,
    I finally decided to pull the trigger on rooting today. The straw that broke the camel's back is this cell standby bs. It is absolutely killing my battery life and I've noticed the roms all seem to have it fixed. Anyways, it feels great to be using a rooted phone again, I missed it more than I realized. I came from a OGEvo a couple months back, since I'm new to Sammy is there anything significantly different between the two phones as far as rooting goes? Anything I wouldn't pick up by reading here and over at xda?
    Also is one of the two recoveries available superior to the other. I'm a little apprehensive about using CWM as it was less than reliable on the Evo. I'm not necessarily criticizing the developer, cyanogenmod also had a pretty serious glitch on the evo that would cause random brickings. Anyhow I'm just curious if cwm is the preferred or if twrp is better.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

The only significant differences I've seen between HTC and Sammy's rooting methods is that Sammy has download mode and uses Odin, where HTC works through the phone's bootloader and fastboot.

Also, use TWRP. As an OGEvo user, you probably never saw it. I was an Evo 3D owner and TWRP rocked (but not as good as 4EXT...I hope that comes to GS3). TWRP 2.2.1.1 is a rock solid recovery and is leaps/bounds better than CWM. Just use CWM to get root established and then use Goo Manager to flash TWRP 2.2.1.1.

disc golfin likes this.
  3. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

Jerofld, thanks for the recovery advice, but a link would been nice. Jussayin :)

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

5. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

I was gonna post that, just got uhhhhh, occupied with a female ;)

EarlyMon likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews