1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint/Cricket] questions abou flashing a new rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by congaman59, Nov 2, 2014.

1. congaman59

congaman59 Well-Known Member

I am running a 4.2.1 (stock rom) MK something or other. I would like to upgrade to 4.4.4. I have been told previously it would be best to go back to (un-root) state before I upgrade I suppose that still holds true?
    I have a stock kernel as well and flashed the rom I have with Kies.
    I suppose the best thing to do first is a nandroid back-up I am not sure exactly what that is. I heard on here someone say something about (Helium) is that something I can use to do the back-up? If not how do I do the nandroid?

I have some of my apps on the SD card with GL to SD. How do I back up those apps?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

What I would do is flash the 4.4 ND8 (I think) full restore to get it to be updated and factory fresh. Then root it from there.

I'm at work so I can't look for the links I used on mine, but look for rooting ND8 (assuming you are on a Sprint phone) and follow along.

As far as the nandroid backup, you can't go back to it if you upgrade to 4.4. So don't worry about that so much.

Do the research first. I've been very happy with my phone. Of corse I bought the phone then basically went straight to flashing it. I think I even activated it on the rooted ROM.

3. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews