• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] True/False Nandroid Backup Question

Johnny Cakes

Android Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2009
True/False: A Nandroid backup creates an exact image of my phone such that if I restored it to a new phone, the new phone be an exact clone of the old phone, down to the customization of every app, every home screen, icon placement, etc. In other words, it would be impossible to tell the phones apart.

I've done quite a bit of Googling to figure that this seems true (unlike a Titanium backup) but wanted to confirm before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

The answer is yes, a nandroid is a full image backup of the current state of the phone.

However, transferring/using them on a different phone is not recommended.

The only thing it will not backup is the baseband (modem) but that shouldn't matter if you are just going from one phone to another.

Like others stated here, I prefer the aid of Titanium Backup when switching phones or roms. Works great.

Upvote 0
i wouldnt transfer nandroids... seems too risky...besides there would probably be a md5 mismatch

there would very likely be an MD5 mismatch indeed. you can edit the file to take out the MD5 to circumvent the issue, but as rxpert said, it is an image of the os and apps. Your text messages will not xfer over if theyre not included in the nand tho.

Additionally, i wouldnt do it with tweaking in the nand as it will likely cause issues. I have 2 epic touch 4g's (aka galaxy S2's) and ive tried that. Did it work? Yes. Was it buggy after the nand restore, absolutely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones