1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Sprint/Cricket] wifi tether not working properly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lovebug170, Dec 31, 2012.

1. lovebug170

lovebug170 Newbie
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    Hi - am running FreeSG3 on my galaxy s3.. never had an issue running tether on 2.0... when i dirty flashed to v3.0 over 2.0, the tether thinks it's the wifi itself, I've tried to install the apk itself to see if perhaps it'd work but no luck there so I did a clean install v3.0 after wiping 4 times, still the same issue.. clean install back to v2.0 still same problem.

any advice on how to fix this issue? i tried searching for a similar issue but don't see anything -- I do see there was an issue with tether for jellybean until recently...

also - I was given the assumption all custom rom's have the hotspot hacked, am curious why the wifi tether is baked into freesg3?

let me know, thanks.

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    i had this problem with "the People's ROM" too...

one solution:
    in the play.. download "root uninstaller"
    uninstall the wifi tether app...
    then reboot the phone...
    install the wifi tether app

hope this helps.

3. verngator

verngator Member
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    On some ROMs the problem is related to Sprint Connections Optimizer. Disable/freeze it - does that help?

4. longshot

longshot Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2010
    This worked for my stock rooted ROM. Never had an issue again

5. beerdrinker

beerdrinker Newbie
    None

Mar 5, 2013
    I am in the same boat as the OP. I rooted my phone specifically to use wifi tether and it doesn't work. I rooted the phone using InfernoByrd1's YouTube video instructions (here: How to Root Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile/Rogers - YouTube).

I then downloaded the wifi tether app from the Play Store. It installed fine. I then changed it to the recommended settings that qbking77 recommended. It appeared like everything was working fine, except that the wireless network doesn't show up on my tablet or laptop. I then went back and noticed they added the Galaxy S3 in the list of devices for the tether app (which wasn't on the video). I selected the Galaxy S3, but the same problem persisted. I have since restarted my phone twice, restarted the app several times, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the app... But it still doesn't work.

I have the android operating system 4.1.1 and the wifi tether version 3.2beta2. I have an AT&T phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I just realized I am in the Sprint subforum...

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010