1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint/Cricket] Will Update Ruin Root Access?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ndh777, Aug 19, 2012.

1. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

I rooted my phone but haven't updated anything over OTA. The phone keeps displaying a message telling me that I should update (not sure which update this is for but I think it's for a Samsung update) again and again.

I asked on the general section if there was a way to disable these messages that continually pop up on my screen but now I'm curious if updating will even interfere with my root access if I do update. I know for sure that updating the Android OS is a given that I will lose root, but unsure of Samsung and the other updates.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

you generally dont wanna run ota updates when rooted. I have yet to encounter a fer-sher answer about this on the S3, but (as you likely recall from the OG Evo forum) Ocnbrz always put in all caps (all caps rage!!!!) to not accept any auto update as it would eff with your root access. And whatever Ocn says is gold in my book :)

MusicJunkie and ndh777 like this.
  3. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

lol Ah...the good ol' days with our OG Evos :D Good to see a familiar face here that moved from the Evo line too :D

Yes, that is why I am very hestiant to accept this update. I've tried freezing the apk for "Software Update" or something like that, and the problem still persists. I've also tried wiping the apk's data clean. Nothing works as of yet in trying to simply ignore the update.

4. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

whats the update saying? can you give (as close to as possible) a verbatim of what it says? its not telling youthat "all your base are belong to us" is it? cuz if so, NOONE CAN HELP YOU!!!!!! or even worse, i hope to God its not telling you that you lose the game :O anyways, all kidding aside, yeah man, i was happy to see a ol' friendly face in here too!!! And im honestly curious as to what its telling you that it wants to update. Is it a system update, or does the message give you more/less detail than that? I hope i worded that in a logical way, I dont always make the most sense when trying to add a little humor into my posts ;)

ndh777 likes this.
  5. disc golfin

disc golfin Well-Known Member

More than likely it is an update for the Baseband Version/Build Number.

Go into Settings---->About device and check the bband and b #, it should end in LG8, this would be the newest one. More than likely you still have LG2.

People have said that you can get Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper from play store and use it to keep root while doing the update, but I have not tried it myself because my phone updated as soon as I activated it and before I had a chance to root it.

Also....good to see both you and youdoofus here.............I learned a ton from both of you in the OG EVO forum.

Edit:
    here are a few threads from XDA.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/search.php?searchid=60952637

and here is a thread with the files for the Radios.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1787677

as you know flashing Radios can be risky to say the least so it may be safer to flash back to the stock recovery, accept the update then flash back to custom recovery.

ndh777 and youdoofus like this.
  6. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

If you don't do the rooted way of updating, the update will simply fail as you have CWM installed and the OTA is designed to work with stock recovery. The phone also stops messaging you about an update for awhile (like 5 days). I've done this as I was tired of those messages, too, and figured I'd just root again after the update and was entertained by the results.

But LG8 is a good update to have, you should do the updates that disc golfin linked.

ndh777 and disc golfin like this.
  7. JaydeEvo

JaydeEvo Well-Known Member

It depends on the device and the update. I had an LG Viper (for about a minute) and I rooted it. I was able to update and not interfere with root once but the next update would not work (would tell me every day to restart to install, on boot it would still be there). If you don't have an answer and you still want to update, cross your fingers.

ndh777 likes this.
  8. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

Awesome! Ya'll really helped me out and gave me some ideas.

I'm taking some screenshots for everyone to see and I'll post them in a minute after I'm done cropping them and whatnot. Give me a few minutes.

9. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

Here are my screenshots that are relevant to this issue:

Basically...the first screenshot is what the update message looks like. It keeps happening again and again. If I click "Install later", it just puts an icon in my notification bar asking when I'll be ready to update and I am able to clear this notification. Leaving it in the bar does nothing as the update still comes through. If I click "More info", the second screenshot is what screen appears next. In this screen, I am able to use the back button, home button...basically exit the screen without being forced into updating.

The third screenshot is...well...about my phone which indicates that I am a LG2.

Attached Files:

10. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

OTA Rootkeeper has a 4.5 rating on the Play Store and most of the ratings, especially from Samsung S3 users, are very positive. Although, the description says that I need to be ext3 or ext4 which I am unsure of especially with an internal memory as well as external memory slot. Just for that reason, I'm cautious about updating while with this app.

But thank you for the links and helpful advice. It's great to know you learned a lot from us :D It seems you surpassed me in understanding too haha

disc golfin likes this.
  11. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

I have no problem updating, I just don't want to lose root lol I bet the updates are nice, just don't want to risk losing root is all.

But that's interesting. Doesn't it depend on what's getting updated that will determine whether or not the update will fail because of a different recovery? So you're saying that if I do try and update, and it fails, the message will go away after a few days or if I keep ignoring it that it will go away in 5 days?

12. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

Sorry for all of the replies...I keep finding new stuff...but disc golfin, this is interesting to see. Check my screenshot and read what's in the red rectangle I made to highlight the portion of text.

It says that the OTA RootKeeper is useless with Samsung phones updated with Kies or Odin...
    Does this just mean that it won't protect root if you update using a program on the computer versus your phone's internet connection to update?

What's also interesting is that when I try to go into my settings, and go to where I can do all of my updates...clicking updates sort of crashes the phone for a few seconds. I had to lock the phone, then use the icons in the lock screen to exit the settings>update. I assume this has to do with me freezing that apk for System Update.

Attached Files:

13. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

Ok, let's start back at square one:

You want to keep root. That's a given.

Do you want to update to LG8?

Yes
    Then go to this thread: [ROM]7/28/12 LG8 Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 3 OTA (Stock/ROOTED/Odex/DeOdex/Firmware!) - xda-developers

Download either the Odex or Deodex file. If you don't know what the difference is, get the Odex file.

Then download the LG8 Firmware. You can download the 'other bits' and flash them through Odin, but that's optional (I didn't flash them).

The other files are optional. Don't get the Deodex file if you downloaded the Odex version of the update, or vice versa. The LF9 Universal search is the non-dumb search that was removed due to Apple litigation fears. The Wifi thing is irrelevant if you don't have a dual band router.

Now, with these files on your phone, reboot into recovery. This will be Clockwork Recovery or TWRP, but you'll have something other than stock recovery. Make a backup. Then clear cache/dalvik cache (dalvik cache is in advanced in CWM). Then flash the ROM file first (the big file) then flash the firmware file (and any of the optional files after that. Reboot, you're now updated and still rooted.

You don't want to update but want the message to go away?
    If you rooted with flashing CWM through Odin and then flashed a Superuser patch, then just hit reboot & install. Don't worry about voodoo OTA recovery or any other nonsense. The update will fail. I promise you. I did this myself. The OTA does not work with CWM or TWRP. It says so on XDA, too. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1838329) The message will go away for 5 days or so. Repeat.

If you don't have CWM installed and rooted by some magical means that I have yet to see posted anywhere, then this may not be the case.

How do you check to see if you have CWM or TWRP installed? Turn off your phone. When it's fully off, turn on your phone by holding Volume Up + home + power until you see blue text in the upper left of the screen, then let go. When recovery is done loading, you'll either see "Clockwork Recovery Mod" or "Team Win Recovery Project" or nothing. If you see nothing, it's stock recovery and reboot your phone and don't take the OTA. If it's CWM or TWRP, then reboot your phone and take the OTA, which will fail.

ndh777 and disc golfin like this.
  14. disc golfin

disc golfin Well-Known Member

My BAD.....I never had to use it but was passing along what I had found...:eek:
    Thanks jerofld for confirming this! :thumbup::beerglass:

ndh777 likes this.
  15. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

lol it's cool. But thank you. That seems like a very useful app that I may end up using if I ever get another phone or information I can pass off to non-Samsung users.

Great stuff. Thank you jerofld! I think my best bet is to update via Odex like you suggested. I'll try doing that and let you guys know how it goes.

I did run into a slight problem...You said that I'll need to download and flash the LG8 firmware, but it says that the file is missing from the mirror site. Do you, by any chance, have the file and can send it to me? Or is it possible to completely skip this step?

disc golfin likes this.
  16. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

Thanks to jerofld, I found the missing link from the XDA guide he posted. When trying to download and flash the needed files, I came across the second file "LG8 Firmware" that sent me to a mirror that was missing the file needed to complete installation.

A post by jerofld yesterday, showed me a secondary link to the same file, at least I think it is which can be found by visiting this link SprintGalaxyS3LG8Modem.zip

And now I am officially updated to LG8 thanks to jerofld! Thank you everyone for your helpful answers! The updates should be gone now and I kept the stock updater frozen just so that it can't somehow automatically search for new updates and bug me about updating them.

disc golfin and jerofld like this.
  17. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

damn i missed alot here lol ok, so, who dont you just go download the lg8 rom, and install it via recovery? thats what i did, and its all good in the hood...

18. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

Where can I find that LG8 ROM at?? The XDA page had links to both the ROM and the extra file (ironically, both files were hosted on a page dedicated solely to hosting Android files) and both files were missing.

I think that I did flash the LG8 ROM though...I believe that the last link I posted was the ROM...am I right? Although, now that I think about it, when you flash ROMs, you usually lose all data, right? Is that what happened for you? I didn't lose any data when I flashed this file via recovery.

19. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

as always, make a nand b4 flashing (like i need to tell you that LoL)

20. Einherjared

Einherjared Newbie

While it looks like this issue may already be addressed above:

On the T-Mobile side. I did the firmware update through Kies. It looks like I lost my root (TitaniumBackup not working anymore) but... all the bloatware I froze with it is still frozen.

ndh777 likes this.
  21. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

When you're rooted and frieze shit, its still feel frozen if you loose root

22. neons1

neons1 Lurker

hi like to know how to update galaxy s3 sgh-i747 att to new baseband I747UCLH9 with out loosing root? My baseband now is I747UCALG1 with root. Can someone send me step by step how to this thanks?

23. MusicJunkie

MusicJunkie Android Expert

You might have to go to the AT&T forum for that. This is Sprint's Galaxy S3.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews