• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint DOES have available EVOs

Liebertron

Jun 17, 2010
I called Sprint yesterday because I got a slip of paper with my bill saying I was a premium member and I could upgrade early... Given that I have a Palm Pre, I really wanted to upgrade...

I saw the website was sold out so I called Sprint to ask if they had any sort of timeline for receiving more devices. To my surprise, they told me that they had some left after all...

So if you need a replacement or maybe haven't gotten one yet I suggest calling Sprint directly. Mine arrives Friday!

I am not sure what the "real deal" is w/ the Evos. All of the stores around here are out and have a waiting list, yet my wife called yesterday and ordered us each an Evo, and they are already in town and will be delivered today. Anyone who wants one should call Sprint to order instead of waiting on a list at the store.

I keep reading that people occasionally are ordering through Sprint either through the website or via the phone. I called yesterday and today, even tried moments after the posts were made and Sprint has said they were completely out and have been for days.

I'm still not sure why Sprint didn't order more phones to begin with. Clearly, it is much better than most of their other phones. Even if it took a few extra weeks to sell through inventory (ie. ordered too much), it still makes sense to order extra.

I'm not dying to get one, although I would like to pick one up when they are in stock. However, some of these posts are very odd and appear to be misleading others to believe Sprint has a current stock of phones waiting to be sold.

Upvote 0
Haner, I'm in the same boat with you.

Been sniffing around Sprint online, calling Radio Shack, the local Sprint store, and Best Buy - all with no luck.

Then yesterday when I went online I saw their "Sold Out" notifier was gone. I placed an order and to my surprise it's in a UPS truck on my way to me this very minute.

I'm very surprised!

I wish other folks the same luck I had.

Upvote 0
Haner, I'm in the same boat with you.

Been sniffing around Sprint online, calling Radio Shack, the local Sprint store, and Best Buy - all with no luck.

Then yesterday when I went online I saw their "Sold Out" notifier was gone. I placed an order and to my surprise it's in a UPS truck on my way to me this very minute.

I'm very surprised!

I wish other folks the same luck I had.

Awesome! Waited exactly a week for wirefly to get my order shipped but I got tired of waiting and I jumped on the sprint site to order it once it was back in stock. Can't wait to root it later.

Upvote 0
Sprint did originally screw me over though.

The camera in my HTC Diamond broke, I took it in to have it looked at, they said "Yep, it's broke." then offered me a replacement Diamond. I was hoping for an EVO as an "upgrade replacement", so I asked.

They said, "Not really."

Then I asked them to order me an EVO as a replacement and I'd use the upgrade discount I have as a premium customer. I went home and waited the four days they said it would take for the phone to come in. But four days later when I called asking where my new EVO was, they told me all they had on file for me was a job # for a repair. Bastards!

That's when I started calling everywhere and found there were no EVOs to be had.

Upvote 0
Check this out....I placed an order thru Best Buy on May 24th...called them at least twice a week wondering the status...they kept telling me they didn't get any in. So I called Sprint today and asked if they had any I could order and to my surprise, they did!! I asked them to ship it to me overnight and they will. I will get my phone tomorrow. Here's the kicker...I called up Best Buy to let them know I want to give up my spot on the order line and they tell me that my phone was sitting there! I was so mad but what could I do? I told the guy to not worry about it and give my phone to the next person in line. I also made sure to let them know that a simple phone call would be nice if that's not asking too much. There are people dying to have this phone and you should call them. I don't really lose in the end and I get my phone tomorrow. What's one more day? LOL!!

Upvote 0
Hey, you guys should be glad you don't have the early batches of Evo. If you can't get them, and the stores don't have them, thats a good thing. Mostly likely they are going to fix all these problems, and all of you will have nice shiny working models. For those of us who got it early, at least for some of us, we have problems with them.

I think if you get a perfect working non defective model, you will love this phone. Just be patient.

Upvote 0
Um. Please look at the threads. A very Small some. To imply that most, or even many first models have issues is just plain wrong.

Well, so far, 3 from sprint.com, 3 from sprint stores and 1 from bestbuy, all on launch day, all have the glass problem and mine had the speaker problem. All were 0002 hardware, and mine has the half blown speaker problem, too.

So, not looking so good for your thory there. I don't call 6 out of 6 is a very good percentage of working models. The sprint store agree with me on the 3 that I took in.

Upvote 0
I'm still not sure why Sprint didn't order more phones to begin with. Clearly, it is much better than most of their other phones. Even if it took a few extra weeks to sell through inventory (ie. ordered too much), it still makes sense to order extra.

Its way better in a companies standards to have a good amount of phones and sell them all of, and have people waiting on them, rather than ordering too much, the phone not sell that much, have too many of the phones left, and them just sit there when they already spent money on it. Its like a dealership, they get a good amount of cars in and when they sell a car, they replace it. They don't get 100 cars, sell 20, and get 100 more.

Reactions: Chief7
Upvote 0
Its way better in a companies standards to have a good amount of phones and sell them all of, and have people waiting on them, rather than ordering too much, the phone not sell that much, have too many of the phones left, and them just sit there when they already spent money on it. Its like a dealership, they get a good amount of cars in and when they sell a car, they replace it. They don't get 100 cars, sell 20, and get 100 more.

I really have to disagree. This seems to be a line used a lot on forums. For example, if Sprint sold 80,000 each week for one month and ordered 240,000 phones to start with, the only additional cost is their warehouse holding some of the phones for 1-3 weeks...not a big cost. In this example, Sprint had the ability to order 3x the number of phones expected and the amount of money made off of people who came in with impulse buying would greatly outweigh the minor cost of storing the extra phones.

If Sprint missed on the expected number of sales by more than 3x, then they should rethink whether or not they want to renew the contract of the employees who created the estimates.

I'll wait to get my phone, but there are enough people who won't. That will be WAY MORE lost revenue compared to the alternative.

Upvote 0
Apple does the same thing. Look at all of the hype created by the backlog. It's everywhere - people are talking about these phones. It's called marketing strategy. And sure, people get a little rubbed when they have to wait - but the still buy the phone!

Also, this is a brand new product. By not building a gazillion of these things, they are able to head off any major surprises with a potential faulty design. This way, if they have to, they halt production, fix the problem, and move on.

Reactions: Chief7
Upvote 0
I ordered two from sprint.com on June 10th and received them the next day.

Called a few corporate stores and Best Buy's this afternoon. Each one told me a different story about having a list, not having a list, requirements for getting on the list over the phone, yada yada. One of them told me they would put me on the list over the phone - no problem. I left my info - and bam! Less than an hour later, I got a call saying that 1 unit was en route to the store. I ran over and just picked it up. This is my second round for an EVO trial. Just not completely satisfied with my DINC. Can't wait to give it another go here!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones