1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sprint EOL's Nexus 5 - Why it doesn't matter

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rxpert83, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

So android police is reporting that sprint has given the nexus 5 end of life status.
    Sprint Sends The Nexus 5 To The End-Of-Life Underworld, But No One Cares Because Nexus

What that typically means is that the device will no longer receive software updates from Sprint. As a result - EOL status is usually a pretty big deal (and usually comes after about 2 years). However, the Nexus 5 receives its updates straight from Google - Sprint plays no role in the update. This should have absolutely no effect on anyone that already has a nexus 5, it just means they wont be selling them in the stores anymore once the current stock runs out.

Bottom line - nothing changes, and absolutely nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Member282753

Member282753 Guest

The only thing this does mean is that it probably puts the nail in the coffin about whether this phone would ever get Sprint WiFi calling capability.

3. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

True... Although for a work around, you can now just use the new Hangouts version with the Hangouts Dialer app for WiFi calling.

4. Member282753

Member282753 Guest

Sure. Agreed. However not quite the same as having Wi-Fi calling with your Sprint number unless you're fully a Hangouts integrated which based on all the trouble lately I wouldn't do.

5. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Hmm... I'm interested in these Hangouts integrated problems that your experiencing and /or issues that your talking about?
    I've not had any issues with it thus far and it is working very well on my end.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews