• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint EVO 3D preorder discussions inside.

I pre-ordered it at my local Sprint store down the street from me yesterday and I didn't need to buy a gift card or put down money of any kind. I asked the manager what I had to do to get in on the pre-order and she said just give me your name and phone number and a Evo 3D will be put aside for you and I will call you as soon as we get them in and you can come over and pick it up. She said sometimes we get them in early. I was only the second person on the list :) The list by the way was an interesting piece of paper obviously made by Sprint corporate. With a typed up header on it that said "Pre-Order request sheet for the Evo 3D" and a bunch of other stuff and then some lines where peoples info can be written down.

I just figured that I'd share the fact that I didn't have to buy a gift card or put any money down.

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered it at my local Sprint store down the street from me yesterday and I didn't need to buy a gift card or put down money of any kind. I asked the manager what I had to do to get in on the pre-order and she said just give me your name and phone number and a Evo 3D will be put aside for you and I will call you as soon as we get them in and you can come over and pick it up. She said sometimes we get them in early. I was only the second person on the list :) The list by the way was an interesting piece of paper obviously made by Sprint corporate. With a typed up header on it that said "Pre-Order request sheet for the Evo 3D" and a bunch of other stuff and then some lines where peoples info can be written down.

I just figured that I'd share the fact that I didn't have to buy a gift card or put any money down.

Hopefully this all works out for you. But like we've heard a million times before....talk is cheap. Don't be surprised if they run out and all you have is a name on a list. I'd feel more comfortable with a gift card/receipt in hand proving my spot in line.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I asked the manager if I needed to buy a gift card to secure my pre-order of the phone and she said no. I had $50 dollars in my hand, and she would not take it. She said I did not need it. I was the second name on the list. If they only get 2 phones in to the store on launch day I would be one of two people to get one.

Upvote 0
I'm really not sure how their whole system is working at corp. stores...I had to preorder with the giftcard, but the receipt doesn't mention a preorder. They typed my name and phone number into something on the computer, but can't tell me my exact place in line. All I got was "if you aren't the first, then you are the second" back on May 20th.

Upvote 0

I also did not need money down at my local store. I even spoke with the owner/manager the day after. My experience was similar to yours.

Upvote 0
I'm really not sure how their whole system is working at corp. stores...I had to preorder with the giftcard, but the receipt doesn't mention a preorder. They typed my name and phone number into something on the computer, but can't tell me my exact place in line. All I got was "if you aren't the first, then you are the second" back on May 20th.

This was the same process I went through only I was told that no one else had pre-ordered yet so I was first.

Upvote 0
I also did not need money down at my local store. I even spoke with the owner/manager the day after. My experience was similar to yours.

I knew I couldn't be the only one.

Maybe the people who pre-ordered it awhile ago had to get a Gift Card because they weren't sure what the release date was yet ?

I went and pre-ordered mine yesterday at he store after I got a text message in the morning from Sprint saying for sure that the official release date was June 24th.

Maybe that's the difference ?

Upvote 0
The Sprint Stores will not have a line. They have your name on a list and you have 3 days after launch to pick it up. After the third day your phone is no longer on hold. They are basically using the preorder list to know how many units to send to each store. I would think if the store the OP went to only had 2 preorders they will have more than enough stock to supply the demand. With that said, the details I received about the preorder process was only for when you purchase the gift card.

Upvote 0
I ordered mine yesterday, and I was able to pay the $50 dollars and receive the GC. I guess it just depends on the exact Sprint location or maybe it depends on how many preorders that particular store was receiving. It'd make more sense to start getting money from people the more preorders a store got. Because, like some people say, there are times when you can be on the preorder list and if they run out, the people towards the end are screwed till the next shipment. And from what I've read, most people whose name was just taken down, they were only the first or second people. Who knows though.

Upvote 0
First I went to Radio Shack this weekend and asked about pre-ordering and they had no clue about it. They just said: "Nope, we don't have anything yet for that device. Call us next week".

Then I went to Best Buy and the lady said she doesn't think they are taking pre-orders. She then starts digging through some files and says: "I haven't heard anything about it, did you hear about this somewhere?". So I told her I've read about it online and then lied and said I called another local store close to my office that said they were taking pre-orders. So she goes back to looking and finally finds the EVO 3D pre-order slips. So i pre-ordered with them.

But if I can get one ordered on the 21st, I'll go that route. Then I'll return the BB Gift card.

Based on my experience with BB and Radio Shack employees, I'm not sure if I would want them messing with my phone/account. I can only imagine the things they could screw up.

Upvote 0
First I went to Radio Shack this weekend and asked about pre-ordering and they had no clue about it. They just said: "Nope, we don't have anything yet for that device. Call us next week".

Then I went to Best Buy and the lady said she doesn't think they are taking pre-orders. She then starts digging through some files and says: "I haven't heard anything about it, did you hear about this somewhere?". So I told her I've read about it online and then lied and said I called another local store close to my office that said they were taking pre-orders. So she goes back to looking and finally finds the EVO 3D pre-order slips. So i pre-ordered with them.

But if I can get one ordered on the 21st, I'll go that route. Then I'll return the BB Gift card.

Based on my experience with BB and Radio Shack employees, I'm not sure if I would want them messing with my phone/account. I can only imagine the things they could screw up.

This was my experience with BB. I asked to pre-order E3D. The girl took about 5 minutes digging through pre-order forms to find the E3D ones. She found them on the very bottom of the bin. Which I didn't mind, means there wasn't a line, or much of one. On my receipt, it says that I have pre-ordered an E3D, which I checked before even leaving the phone area.

Upvote 0
Sprint store is the last place i would preorder or buy a phone from considering a couple things,

1. They are not willing to help you get a complimentary upgrade (they printed me out a copy of my contract and said not until 2012 because your an Evo upgrader) than walked into RS the rep called Sprint and not only got me a complimentary upgrade, but also got me a discount my bill every month!
2. They absolutely have no clue unless its in the "system" about anything
3. In the case of when a new phone comes out they always open late, line around the corner and its highly unorganized compared to say BB (athough BB has lines too!, RS

Just my experience in the last 2 yrs with new release phones, ....
RS on the other hand i never thought to much about until the Evo 4G ...Was an absolute breeze ...walked in at 8am 2 other people were hooking up Evos picked up mine traded in phone, and was out there door ...while playing on Evo driving past BB and Sprint not even open yet massive lines - Just hope its not the opposite this time around

PS -preordered back in May at RS with a $50GC and receipt in hand

Upvote 0
i don't know if its going to be big or not but i went to my sprint store and pre ordered mine 3 hours ago, and i had to pay the $50 for the GC also..
:D now i have 2 pre orders lol :p one at BB and the other at Sprint, isn't great to feel secure for sure i do get one at release date :cool:

Last year i couldn't get one doesn't matter where did i go all sold out, and all because i never pre order.. and i been stock with the crappy samsung instinct almost 3 years :mad:but just because i found out about the 3vo in march :D im soooooooo happy YAY!! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Well, I didn't mean to dis anyone or like that - just this process confused me.

A confirmation number means a whole lot more than a nod and a wink, imo.

I've got a receipt that says I've pre-ordered the phone, and will be given priority in purchasing over those who haven't. In exchange, they are currently holding $50 of mine hostage in the form of a gift card.

Upvote 0
Why? Do they scribble the names in crayon onto notebook paper and keep it taped to the wall in the back?

One would think that their computer system would be capable enough of figuring out the pre-orders.

It's not with crayon, but the list is currently written on a white sheet of paper, or was when I checked in with them yesterday. It does have the Sprint header on top and specifically says E3D pre-order, so I am good. It may have been also set up in the system there, but I haven't asked that yet. However, it never hurts to check in once in a while being polite and asking a question or two.

Personally, I plan on stopping in once a week until release week. The staff is really friendly, I don't spend a lot of time in there disturbing them and I can usually think up a question or two besides the obvious of how long is the list or do you still have my name written down as 4th.

Mind you, I have done that :)

Upvote 0
I pre ordered mine today. Paid the $50 for deposit, got the gift card and was given a confirmation #. my upgrade doesn't start until the first of next month, but was told the phone would be held for 1 week so I could cone and get it at the upgrade price on the 1st. Kind of sucks ill have to wait a week after the release, but what can ya do

Upvote 0
I pre ordered mine today. Paid the $50 for deposit, got the gift card and was given a confirmation #. my upgrade doesn't start until the first of next month, but was told the phone would be held for 1 week so I could cone and get it at the upgrade price on the 1st. Kind of sucks ill have to wait a week after the release, but what can ya do

Your Sprint store gave you a confirmation number?

I pre-ordered at my Sprint store awhile back and they noted I purchased a gift card for an EVO 3D on my account. Also, I am pretty sure they keep the pre-order document stored online because the rep needed some help logging into the website my store uses for pre-orders.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones