• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint EVO "First" Advertising...

I personally like the Droid commercials. I think that you guys that don't like them are assuming that they are trying to sell a specific phone (or maybe I am assuming that you are assuming... bleh) where as I feel that verizon is selling the label, not the Droid Incredible or Droid X or which ever new Droid happens to be out. I know all my friends were talking about the Spaceman commercial when it first came out and I got a lot of "oh is that a droid?" when I got my Evo.

The new verizon commercials on the other hand... Phew. My friends were also talking about the one where it showed all the girls and I thought it was a commercial about feminine hygiene or some non-profit human rights commercial until the "rule the air" stuff. They're new campaign is worse than the "Dare to be Mayo" commercial.

Plus, The Droid commercials got me interested in upgrading from my Instinct. They grabbed my attention and made me wake up and see that there were new phones on the market. They also acted as a catalyst in convincing myself that my Instinct was no longer enough for me.

Upvote 0
Sprint's marketing strategy seems very old fashion. Every time I see a "First" commercial about the EVO, I keep thinking in my head, "yeah, that's great. First also means that the phone is likely to have the most problems and issues, much like the first light bulb, car, phone, etc..."

What makes me laugh is I keep tripping all over online ads by Sprint for the EVO and they can't stock the dang phones. They're saying, "Come to buy our phone... oh... we don't have any phones!" :D

Upvote 0
On the other hand, if you do it right, a single ad can be remembered forever and make a world of difference:
How in the world did that ad make a world of difference?
Apple market share went from 6% market share to 2% market share that year.
While the people that the hammer was thrown at went from 30% market share to 50% market share during the same time.

Total Share: Personal Computer Market Share 1975-2005 | Jeremy Reimer's Blog

If you look at the charts apple ads did not seem to work until 2001-2007

YouTube - the first ipod commercial
To
YouTube - First Official iPhone Ad

Wow just breath taking commercials there. :rolleyes:
As for sprint first commercial, not a good choice, but this is sprint. They have not figure out how to take a swing at anyone with hurting themselves.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
How in the world did that ad make a world of difference?

OK, my bad, I wasn't sufficiently clear. Let me correct that, and then if I'm wrong, fire away. ;)

My only point was that where an ad was concerned, quality or provocativeness or something etherial like that is a good alternative to quantity when an ad budget is low.

That ad made a world of difference because I seem to recall in my circle: a) it seemed lame and we didn't get the point, b) we discussed that a lot (bingo - we're gaining awareness) and c) we decided the product was a failure and the ad was no big deal (but - we checked out the product to decide that) - but over the years, the ad's never been forgotten.

That the product was not so great and the company was falling into mismanagement didn't mean the ad was useless or a failure.

Maybe I chose a bad example from your valid criticisms - but my point remains - quality over quantity.

I choose that ad more for its production values as opposed to how the message was relayed or its artsy-fartsy-ness. As a memorable visual, it succeeds.

My premise is simple - Sprint ads sell what they perceive as features - number one carrier (in whatever terms), Android 2.2, EVO hardware - and I believe that with a limited budget, selling the benefit over the feature is better and more effective.

Maybe they don't want to sell EVOs - maybe they just want to keep the 4G meme alive until they get the Epics in stock.

Maybe selling Epics will simply be more profitable for them, or Samsung is easier to deal with for them than HTC - or maybe maybe maybe like that - because the Epic web ad is _far_ superior, with my joking aside.

Maybe they're learning as they go.

Maybe there will be an HTC update to the EVO - the new dual-core Snapdragon was announced last week at a higher clock speed than previously anticipated.

Maybe Sprint likes Gingerbread and HTC is entrenched in Sense....

Maybe maybe.

But - that Apple superbowl ad caused a stir. That typical magazine ad in the OP - no.

Upvote 0
Sprint isn't going to invest much into advertising the Evo. If so, it would have been done just prior to launch. The ads now are basically polite bragging, and notification that Sprint has a phone that can take advantage of Wimax now. The ads would have made more impact if they focused around "Now" since Sprint claims to be the now network.

HTC isn't a big launch partner. Don't forget they're a small manufacturer that's grown enormously in the last 2-3 years, but HTC's growth has been around making the phones - not adding marketing and other support.

The other primary reason the ad seems ineffective is that Sprint hasn't had enough supply. People ask about the phone all the time in the malls and locations that sell Sprint phones, but far too often those questions aren't backed up with phones available for purchase.

Epic's going to be good for Sprint, but I still don't think Samsung is fully behind it yet either. They've had another Galaxy S version on TMo for a few weeks now, and Samsung hasn't pushed it on the marketing side either. I think Samsung's putting out all these versions but waiting to see which one and on which network they sell best. That's going to be a problem if iPhone does go to VZW (I'd rather it go there than to Sprint) in January.

Upvote 0
Sprint should have co-opted the new Gatorade commercials you know "if you want Evolution the only solution EVOlve...ha..ha.. I always sing that when someone sticks an iPhone in my face. Sorry but it’s like finding your big brother to beat up the kid that bullied on you (me for the last two years with my Instinct). Anyway, that Gatorade commercial is a good, catchy tune.

I agree with the OP and others though. Goodness the Model T was the first mass produced car but that don't mean it could whup a Yugo now...well maybe it could whup a Yugo but you know what I mean. I think the masses would like to know that this thing is like a tablet computer that can do so much it's unbelievable AND make a phone call...a VIDEO call for goodness sake. For instance, I was in a meeting last week and the question came up about a document I had written but there was no hard copy at hand. Well I whipped out my Evo, pulled up the email with a document attached, opened a WORD document and passed my phone around the conference table; in less than 30 seconds. All the illustrations were in place and the document was properly formatted. Can't tell you how proud of my "phone" I was that day. But those are the intagibles that Sprint should capitalize on. What the Evo can truly do.... other than being first.

Another GREAT tactic IMHO would be to take that Orwellian Apple commercial and turn it around with a caption like "and you thought it wouldn't be like 1984? Break free!" Jeez Sprint, take the gloves off!

Upvote 0
Sprint marketing team has had the perfect product being the first with numerous technologies and not able to exploit the advantages of it. The Evo, first phone to have the front facing camera that you can do video calls on. Did they have a video call commercial? No they let apple have a commercial showing off their video call features before they even mentioned that the Evo has it. Same with the hot spot feature. Droid has a hot spot commercial and the Evo was the first phone that had that feature. Sprint marketing team must feel overwhelmed with the features of this phone that they feel the need to highlight all the features in one. No!! A commercial is only 30 seconds. Highlight one feature in each commercial. If i was the VP of marketing for sprint There would be about 6 different Evo commercials highlighting the features and the Evo would be an household name not just name to the tech world.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Sprint marketing team has had the perfect product being the first with numerous technologies and not able to exploit the advantages of it. The Evo, first phone to have the front facing camera that you can do video calls on. Did they have a video call commercial? No they let apple have a commercial showing off their video call features before they even mentioned that the Evo has it. Same with the hot spot feature. Droid has a hot spot commercial and the Evo was the first phone that had that feature. Sprint marketing team must feel overwhelmed with the features of this phone that they feel the need to highlight all the features in one. No!! A commercial is only 30 seconds. Highlight one feature in each commercial. If i was the VP of marketing for sprint There would be about 6 different Evo commercials highlighting the features and the Evo would be an household name not just name to the tech world.

They really couldn't market videocalling. Qik and other options weren't working and currently aren't very good. Not saying FaceTime is great, but it worked right out of the box for iPhans.

Can't market hotspot effectively given it's additional costs. Sure, Evo, can do it, but not offering the feature for free even for a limited time is the real shortcoming.

Wimax deployment is still sputtering along. It's a great feature for Evo, but it's not widely available. It's also a sore spot since people are paying for "premium data" which almost everyone equates to Wimax but few can actually use.

If I was the VP in charge of marketing, I'd make the entire "First" campaign a series about things I can now do that I couldn't before with emphasis on Evo being the best full-featured smartphone for you.

Ad 1 - everything I can do with my now that would cost less would hit hard at what it would cost to have such a device on another network. There is no denying this would have helped Sprint with the $10 complaints too. Might have even let HTC join the party by adding in how this is even more a "Quietly Brilliantly. You" phone than ever imagined.

Ad 2 - Devices for the "First" time don't have to keep with me at all times - then I'd show someone leaving the house with just an Evo but leaving a GPS, MP3, camera, netbook, iPod Touch (since Apple claims to be more than just another device).

Ad 3 - Emphasis on Evo as a great 3G device with nationwide coverage but Wimax-amped in some markets. Could have addressed the limited nature of Wimax by showing someone traveling. Would have emphasized how Wimax in some places can do even more. Might have added a visual reference to connected devices (eg. laptop, netbook, other devices) via Wimax hotspot when meeting friends/associates while traveling.

Ad 4 - Would have shown someone shopping at other carriers asking "does it do all of this ....." with the ending being. I'm just going to head over to Sprint to get an Evo.

Ad 5 - Reference to Ad 3 except showing Evo now working in home market. And yes, that would be the time to do a voice + data comparison. GSM can do it, but not at the speed of Wimax + 3G.

Ad 6 - Sprint-focused "Now that you know about First on the Now Network, isn't now the best time to find out about what's it's like being first?" Open-ended, not selling Evo or anything other than what will we do first/next?:cool:

Reactions: The Advent 19
Upvote 0
They really couldn't market videocalling. Qik and other options weren't working and currently aren't very good. Not saying FaceTime is great, but it worked right out of the box for iPhans.

Can't market hotspot effectively given it's additional costs. Sure, Evo, can do it, but not offering the feature for free even for a limited time is the real shortcoming.

Wimax deployment is still sputtering along. It's a great feature for Evo, but it's not widely available. It's also a sore spot since people are paying for "premium data" which almost everyone equates to Wimax but few can actually use.

If I was the VP in charge of marketing, I'd make the entire "First" campaign a series about things I can now do that I couldn't before with emphasis on Evo being the best full-featured smartphone for you.

Ad 1 - everything I can do with my now that would cost less would hit hard at what it would cost to have such a device on another network. There is no denying this would have helped Sprint with the $10 complaints too. Might have even let HTC join the party by adding in how this is even more a "Quietly Brilliantly. You" phone than ever imagined.

Ad 2 - Devices for the "First" time don't have to keep with me at all times - then I'd show someone leaving the house with just an Evo but leaving a GPS, MP3, camera, netbook, iPod Touch (since Apple claims to be more than just another device).

Ad 3 - Emphasis on Evo as a great 3G device with nationwide coverage but Wimax-amped in some markets. Could have addressed the limited nature of Wimax by showing someone traveling. Would have emphasized how Wimax in some places can do even more. Might have added a visual reference to connected devices (eg. laptop, netbook, other devices) via Wimax hotspot when meeting friends/associates while traveling.

Ad 4 - Would have shown someone shopping at other carriers asking "does it do all of this ....." with the ending being. I'm just going to head over to Sprint to get an Evo.

Ad 5 - Reference to Ad 3 except showing Evo now working in home market. And yes, that would be the time to do a voice + data comparison. GSM can do it, but not at the speed of Wimax + 3G.

Ad 6 - Sprint-focused "Now that you know about First on the Now Network, isn't now the best time to find out about what's it's like being first?" Open-ended, not selling Evo or anything other than what will we do first/next?:cool:

I like your concept on ads.

Well the decision to go with Qik was probably a bad one since their networks crashed during launch week of the Evo. But you have to back the feature of the phone and put the pressure on Qik to provide a better service or go with another company (maybe skype?)

You can market the HotSpot feature even with its additional cost. Doesn't it cost extra on Verison ($20 for 2GB). They are still advertising it. You can either have in small print at the bottom that the 3G HotSpot feature is an additional cost or compare these other devices where you may have to pay $60 a month (5GB Plan with Verison) and be limited with data usage and have this additional device to carry or have just your phone do the same thing for only an additional $30 with unlimited usage.

But it may not be all Sprint fault maybe HTC isn't putting up enough money for the advertising like Motorola and Google is for the Droid phones. Because their names are on every Droid commercial but you dont see Google name on the Evo commercials....(Im sure HTC Sense has something to do with that)

Upvote 0
I like your concept on ads.

Well the decision to go with Qik was probably a bad one since their networks crashed during launch week of the Evo. But you have to back the feature of the phone and put the pressure on Qik to provide a better service or go with another company (maybe skype?)

You can market the HotSpot feature even with its additional cost. Doesn't it cost extra on Verison ($20 for 2GB). They are still advertising it. You can either have in small print at the bottom that the 3G HotSpot feature is an additional cost or compare these other devices where you may have to pay $60 a month (5GB Plan with Verison) and be limited with data usage and have this additional device to carry or have just your phone do the same thing for only an additional $30 with unlimited usage.

But it may not be all Sprint fault maybe HTC isn't putting up enough money for the advertising like Motorola and Google is for the Droid phones. Because their names are on every Droid commercial but you dont see Google name on the Evo commercials....(Im sure HTC Sense has something to do with that)

I don't think Sprint should have backed Qik. I think they just should have said capable of video chat and let it to the first provider to come up with a solution that worked before launch.

HTC's not Moto and hasn't bet it's future on Evo and Evo-descendants. Moto has and needed to. Really, Moto and VZW partnering to pay license fee for "Droid" name from LucasFilms. HTC won't do that because they're small enough to make money regardless of how many or how few different models they develop.

As far as the Hotspot charge. Think about how many people excitedly sign up for Sirius/XM because they get an initial 90-day free subscription. Unlike sat radio though, hostspot's an on-off featured that can be turned on or off on an as-needed, non-contract way. Why not get people hooked to it first, then charge? Much easier to do that and sell it as a feature than one that so few will even try given the $30 cost.

$30 is totally gouging, but I think of ways to not need to hotspot when traveling and $30 ends up being a pretty good reason not to carry that extra gadget or two that depend on a connection. I still think Sprint would be better served to just have Hotspot as a $1/24-hrs continuous use charge. I wouldn't pay the $30 if I didn't think I needed it all day for business and several gadgets connected. For most individual users, this is basically a wifi avoidance feature. I'm not going to pay for it since I can usually get it free at hotels or get them to comp it to me if it's not free (travel's down so consumers should negotiate prices and perks).

Upvote 0
HTC isn't a big launch partner. Don't forget they're a small manufacturer that's grown enormously in the last 2-3 years, but HTC's growth has been around making the phones - not adding marketing and other support.

HTC is a small manufacturer? They're one of the largest mobile manufacturers in the world. Only Samsung, LG, and Nokia are larger. They've been making phones under different brands for years longer than pretty much everyone except Nokia, and it's only recently that they've used the HTC name, so maybe that's why they don't seem as well known. Their marketing and customer support group is also much larger than other well known cell phone companies like Motorola, Sony Ericcson.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones