• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Flashing Kernels

slyd

Android Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
San Diego
I've heard it's better to flash a kernel over the ROM with the stock kernel. So after you first flash a rom, nandroid with the stock kernel. Then after flashing a new kernel, you should restore the original nandroid with the stock kernel before you flash another kernel rather than just flashing kernel on top of kernel. Any truth to this?

I just read a little bit about kernel cleaning scripts. Looks like it could be dangerous for the uninformed. Seems like one script is not necessarily good for all kernels,

The cleaner script has worked fine for me w/ every kernel flash. It cleans init.d, cleans app data left behind from kernel apps, cleans some kernel files. However, you can always reflash the ROM you're running (only wiping cache/dalvik) and then flash the kernel of your choice, if you choose not to use the cleaner script.

Upvote 0
Hi...newbie here...w/ SPRINT GNEX

When I flash a ROM, Am I also flashing the kernel? Does the ROM file includes a kernel? Or do I need to flash them separately? I have been studying partitions structure and where things are in the file system. I am concern of updating my device and rendering the device unable to receive OTA updates from sprint.

Thanks in advanced for feedback...

Upvote 0
Hi...newbie here...w/ SPRINT GNEX

When I flash a ROM, Am I also flashing the kernel? Does the ROM file includes a kernel? Or do I need to flash them separately? I have been studying partitions structure and where things are in the file system. I am concern of updating my device and rendering the device unable to receive OTA updates from sprint.

Thanks in advanced for feedback...

Welcome to AF!!! Every ROM has a kernel included (usually stock). If you'd like to flash a custom kernel, you'd flash it separately.

Not being able to receive OTA updates is no big deal, we usually get to run the updates sooner than they are released officially by being rooted! The way we (The Root Community) keep our devices current, is by flashing ROM's with those updates included.

Reactions: CaRco
Upvote 0
Welcome to AF!!! Every ROM has a kernel included (usually stock). If you'd like to flash a custom kernel, you'd flash it separately.

Not being able to receive OTA updates is no big deal, we usually get to run the updates sooner than they are released officially by being rooted! The way we (The Root Community) keep our devices current, is by flashing ROM's with those updates included.

Yeah any ROM is going to be either equal to or superior to an ota update.

Reactions: CaRco and NaterTots
Upvote 0
Great. I can live with taking ownership of updating my ROMs...if I understand correctly, once I go down this path, I should stay on it and avoid OTAs, whether they work are safe or not. Correct? If so, let the fun begin. Thanks for the feedback and guidance!!

You got it! Please keep us posted on how you're journey is going, and let us know if you need help with ANYTHING!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones