• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint found a way around the Evo $10 premium charge not being discounted

Yes but not everyone will want to or can even figure out how to root, and figure out which ROM they want.

Plus who knows if VZW will have eFuse type of chips in all their Android phones in the future to prevent custom ROMs.

Generally I'm against this sort of thing, but there needs to be some sort of intervention by the "powers that be" so to speak.

Upvote 0
I don't like that Sprint's raised prices this way, but I don't consider it tricky. When entering a new contract, it's on new contract terms. The alternative is to change nothing, including phones, and stay on old contract plans. Older plans were designed for the time in which they were developed, not for now when people text and access data far more than they talk in most cases. Sprint's new contracts reflect that change in consumption.

I don't advocate lies or misquotes and believe that carriers should live up to whatever is agreed to in writing or spoken by their agents, but that's not reality.

That said, I agree with all others who have noted that Sprint's still a value compared to VZW and ATT. I don't expect Sprint to get the latest and greatest phones all the time because that requires more inve$tment than Sprint can afford.

I've come to look at Sprint's $10 not as a premium fee as a different way for Sprint to introduce flat-rate, tiered charges. The advantage there is that I still don't have to worry about how much data I use per billing cycle. I'm sure customers at VZW and ATT would love to have the option to pay $10 for unlimited data instead of their per KB/GB plans.

Upvote 0
yes, yes. I have three smart-phones on my account (two BB tours and an evo) My bill is only $181 for unlimited everything including insurance. I remember when i had the unlimited everything plan under sprint for my wife and my line it was $244 a month under sprint. I never have to worry about our data usage, call minutes or anything with these three phones. I feel im getting over with this deal, its literally a steal to me so thats why im not complaining. Sprint is being competitive and with the third line my niece who is a teenager, chews through data but i dont have to worry at all about how much she is using, same with me. Sprint did me a favor with these plans.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones