1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root [Sprint] Good luck to anyone else out there experiencing these mysterious 'blackouts' on their Note II...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WyltEmrys, Jul 21, 2013.

1. WyltEmrys

WyltEmrys Lurker

I have the US version of the Note II for Sprint (SPH-L900.9), bought early 2013, rooted with a custom ROM, and I thought mine was experiencing the SDS (sudden death syndrome) also. I came home from work to find that my phone's battery had died, so I plugged it in to charge & when I went to turn it on, it booted through the ROM splash screen & turned off. If I took the battery out & put it back, it would repeat this process, but never get any further & it was no longer showing up on my laptop's Explorer list or under Kies. I noticed that the top half was getting warm & if I left it unplugged, it would go dead pretty quickly. It would also not react to any button presses, unless I took the battery out & reinserted it, at which point I could get it to reboot, but only to the point that the ROM splash screen went off (where the main portion of the boot process takes place, apparently).

I could get it to boot into TWRP recovery, but short of doing a factory reset, nothing seemed to restore the phone, including reflashing the ROM & clearing the cache/dalvik cache, but I noticed it wasn't mounting the external SD card (64 GB SDXC), so I couldn't backup the data before doing a factory reset.
    So, I took an 8 GB SD card from another phone, made enough free space & was able to backup the data & system & do a factory reset. If I reset the phone & restored anything (even just the data, not the system), the problem repeated itself. If I did a clean reinstall from a factory reset (through TWRP recovery), I was up & running again. Thank the Gods I have my contacts syncing thru Google & my pictures automatically uploading to Dropbox & all my notes are in Springpad - at least my most important data is recoverable! Good luck to anyone else out there experiencing these mysterious 'blackouts' on their Note II...

Advertisement

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

I moved your post here on it's own for others to benefit from your experience. I also took it out of the other thread since your phone was rooted and on the Sprint network. Here others can post and you can keep all update on any other future progress or decline on your phone, cheers. ;)

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

So your saying you think the core of your issue was caused by a bad SD Card ?? Did you try formatting the current SD card first after transfer all to your PC ??

4. -Mike-

-Mike- Android Enthusiast

My phone does it all the time. Nothing seems to fix mine. I pull battery for 30 minutes. Then charge phone with it off. Another sprint turd. Im getting sick if the crappy service and devices.