1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sprint Hero and Tethering - Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by buzzman003, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TattierPub

TattierPub Android Enthusiast

Honestly I don't think they'd even notice.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. buzzman003

buzzman003 Lurker

I found the answer!! This is from a PC Mag review. I guess PC modem support it wiped out across the board.

Phone Performance
    The phone connects to Sprint's EVDO Rev A network, and to Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g networks for Internet access. I got pretty slow speeds in the built-in browser, around 200 kilobits/sec. Sprint doesn't currently let you use the phone as a PC modem, so I couldn't see if the phone's browser was the problem.

3. Edaze55

Edaze55 Android Expert

I suspected this would be the case, but if he was using a review handset, its possible it wasnt available because theres no real account set up for the device.

4. SDscorch

SDscorch Android Enthusiast

just strange they would put it in the manual

i mean.. its established policy from a looong time ago that you couldn't use a phone as a modem

?

but then again, the manual is for 1.6 and they're shipping 1.5 so.......

pfft!

5. MrMattux

MrMattux Well-Known Member

I use my BB tethering on US Cellular all the time. I'll miss it with the Hero.

6. Edaze55

Edaze55 Android Expert

Root will be friend.

7. Rento_VW

Rento_VW Newbie

All these posts are annoying ramblings of what seems like people going by the contract rules...

Goto PPCGeeks and make a thread there, i'll watch over it aswell...

With the Touch Pro, you could use it as a wireless modem via wmwifirouter, using a few tweaks you could have multiple wireless connections into your Touch Pro. If not, you could just do a few registry tweaks and get tethering via data cable...

Now wheter this is doable with the Hero, I have no clue. But for those times you're absolutely bored, it does make 5+ hour long drives go by faster when you're the passenger...

Edit: To escape Sprint's warning of tethering when they suspect you of breaching contract and tethering, you simply tell them you are using a program that uses an active connection (i.e. Sprint TV, Pandora, AIM/MSN/Yahoo, etc.) and they really can't prove you wrong.

8. SDscorch

SDscorch Android Enthusiast

also.. think of all the widgets ppl are downloading - they check email, tweets, NFL scores, etc etc

each one of these little buggers is going to be almost constantly sending and receiving

makes you think.. what differnece would it make if you tether or not!!

9. buzzman003

buzzman003 Lurker

10. Edaze55

Edaze55 Android Expert

Rentos post makes so much more sense now that I realize he was talking about WinMo and not Droids.

Thanks for clearing that up Buzz

11. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Android Enthusiast

i forgot about this post i remember reading it when i was at work and i was like ppcgeeks.com? that a wm site wtf is he talking about? and hwy would people at ppcgeeks know about android?

12. slbailey1

slbailey1 Android Enthusiast

A lot. There's also talk opening a Sprint Hero forum on the site.

13. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Android Enthusiast

In that case I stand corrected

14. bvanwely

bvanwely Lurker

I have tethering working on my Sprint Hero via PDAnet. I've used PDAnet on Palm for years, and it seems to work quite well on the Hero. The install was a dream.

You can get it here for $29.00: PdaNet -- Use your Android as a USB Modem

15. jchooper12

jchooper12 Lurker

My Sprint Hero only has Andriod V1.5 and I have not seen V2 out yet. PDAnet only supports Android V2 so how are you running it?

16. bvanwely

bvanwely Lurker

I've got v1.5 and it's working. What can I tell you....

17. heimy25

heimy25 Newbie

I am having a really annoying error with it where every time I click connect on my phone, it asks if i want to go to the webpage to install it on my computer...its already installed on my computer. If I click yes, it will take me to the webpage and if I click no, nothing happens. Did this happen to you?

18. bvanwely

bvanwely Lurker

Sounds like the problem's on your computer, not your phone. I'm running WinXP. Try uninstalling and reinstalling on the computer, then be sure PDA desktop is running AND PDA on the phone is running before you plug in the USB.

19. sprucebeach

sprucebeach Member

No, that's wrong. Check their webpage again. PDANet works fine with 1.5 - I'm running it and it works like a dream. What's only supported in Android 2.0 is Bluetooth tethering. Until we get 2.0 we're limited to USB tethering.

20. jchooper12

jchooper12 Lurker

i c

21. UTnick

UTnick Well-Known Member

I had no problems tethering my Instinct to my laptop.

22. RADTECHTX

RADTECHTX Lurker

What download and upload speeds are you getting with the hero and pda software?

23. bvanwely

bvanwely Lurker

Decent, but not earth-shattering. Streaming audio works fine, but streaming video is pushing your luck.

24. McF182

McF182 Lurker

25. KUweatherman

KUweatherman Newbie

I use PDAnet on my 1.5 Sprint Hero with no problems. [​IMG] Definitely don't pay any fees to use it either.

edit: getting 2.0+ Mbps down and 650 Kbps up.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews