1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Sprint Hero Battery Damaged??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JohnnyAce, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JohnnyAce

JohnnyAce New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Friday evening I was driving to Myrtle Beach, SC and needed to use the navigation app. I started up Sprint Navigation and noticed my battery was just below 50% and knowing I still had 2 1/2 hours to go I plugged in a charger. After about an hour I noticed the notification light was alternating between amber and green. I looked around for a notification (and found none) but noticed the HTC battery widget was no longer "percolating". I started the app and had a "Battery Overheat" message. Now I am finding that after my phone charges it is draing while asleep at a rate of about 10% every 1/2 hour. I have checked battery usage and it shows Cellular Standby at about 48%, Phone Idle at about 45% and Display at 7%.
    Is it possible that the battery is terminally damaged? The HTC battery widget shows the battery health as Healthy.

Advertisement

2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    There could be a short in the car charger. If everything is ok without it being on the car charger then I would say that is it.

3. JohnnyAce

JohnnyAce New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I thought about that but I have used this charger in the past without any ill effects and I have not used it since Friday. I have been charging from the HTC supplied wall wort and from my PC USB port.

I mis-spoke when I said I used Sprint Navigation. I actually used the Google Maps Navigation (beta). I restarted the Google Maps app a while ago and it was still calculating my route so that may be it, although Advanced Task Killer has not shown it running. I cleared the Google Maps (by pressing "Clear Map") so we'll see. I am still afraid that having nav running, the display on and plugged in charging damaged the battery. I am charging now and if I wake up with 90% battery then all is good. However, if I wake up with 15% battery (as I did this morning after 100% when I went to bed) I am going to see Sprint.
    I expect to be angry if I have to do that. I am not paying for a replacement battery after using a native app and the supplied charger.
    We'll see.
    I still invite any and all observations and feedback.

Tags: