• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Hero Exchange User Name Bug

I just purchased a Sprint HTC Hero and found a strange bug that I thought was worth letting others know about.

The long story is below but the short answer is that you can't have a "space" in your Exchange user name.

When trying to setup integration to my company's Exchange 2007 server I was getting a "Could not Communicate with the Server" error. I verified and re-verified the server address, domain, password and user name but no luck. :(

During one of my many attempts to try the setup again I mistyped my user name leaving the space out of it and the error message changed to "could not authenticate user". :eek: Ah ha! It could talk to the server but something was wrong with the user name. I put the correct one back in (the one with the space) and same error as before. Take the space out and get the authentication error again.

I had my administrator change my user name to remove the space and sure enough it synced up with no issues. :D

There must be something about how the "space" character is transmitted that the server did not recognize. The same user name with the space worked just fine on my previous two Windows Mobile phones.

I don't know if this is universal to all Android phones or just this one but hopefully this post helps others who might have the same problem.

I am a system admin and this is a big no-no. Why would you create usernames with a space. I have never ran into this and I support over 100 companies. Tell them they need to change their username conventions. There are other things that will make life difficult for the admin if they continue this practice. Good find ZRustad, this should help others that run into authentication issues.

Upvote 0
I am a system admin and this is a big no-no. Why would you create usernames with a space. I have never ran into this and I support over 100 companies. Tell them they need to change their username conventions. There are other things that will make life difficult for the admin if they continue this practice. Good find ZRustad, this should help others that run into authentication issues.

+1

13 Years of Windows administration and I have never seen anyone use spaces in their usernames. I did a Google search on this subject and this is not just an HTC problem. Our Active Directory is tied into everything for autentication. I image this could create a large list of issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones