• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Hero HAS BEEN ROOTED@!

Just download PDAnet on your computer,install it, connect your phone to PC and follow online instructions....this installs the necessary USB drivers for your Hero. I tried HTC sync previously but that did not work out.

PdaNet -- Use your Android as a USB Modem

the app wont install, it crashes every time, ive tried it like a million times

Upvote 0
why does one want to root the phone? and did you install the custom rom over on xda? and what are the steps to do the nandroid backup? seems you need a rooted phone before you can back up

I not trying to be rude or a jerk, but I have noticed that many people on these forums do not bother reading any of the related threads or run the simplest of searches to see if there questions have been answered somewhere else.

All of your questions have been answered in at least two other threads each.

Upvote 0
With all the excellent help from this forum I rooted my Hero this afternoon and successfully removed several core dumps caused by the Bluetooth memory leak. Feeling invincible I tried to downloaded the tethering app for rooted phones but could not get it to work. Has anyone been successful?

Another question, my visual voicemail died when the activate message sent from Sprint was trapped as undeliverable during the upgrade. Sprint advises me that only a factory reset can trigger a resend. In the meanwhile, not only does the visual voicemail app incorrectly report no voice mail (which I could live with) but I don't get any notifications when voice mail is acually left. I assume that if I do a factory reset I'll have to root again despite having an image on my sd card. Is there a work around?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Upvote 0
there is a youtube video for the pc version

i used the youtube guide to about 99% completion, just getting stuck at the last line because it looks for the restore image in the wrong directory

My problem now is that my phone seems to be, for lack of a better term, only half rooted. I've been able to install and run root apps and delete the Sprint apps with no problem, but I'm getting a read-only error when I try clear the boot cache to fix app names, and Droid Explorer wont show me any files on my phone while many other users have had it run flawlessly.

Upvote 0
OK. So Im rooted now, how do I do a nandroid back up? Thats next step right? By the way, I never re-booted and phone never re-booted, recovery or whatever. I checked to see if rooted with Better Terminal, and I got # sign. So I think Im rooted, but not sure of next step. And also, recovery image 123 is on my sdcard. THANKS in advance.:D

Upvote 0
OK. So Im rooted now, how do I do a nandroid back up? Thats next step right? By the way, I never re-booted and phone never re-booted, recovery or whatever. I checked to see if rooted with Better Terminal, and I got # sign. So I think Im rooted, but not sure of next step. And also, recovery image 123 is on my sdcard. THANKS in advance.:D
did you do this?

3. Type in adb shell. If you see a dollar sign ($) then type in su and press enter. If it is a pound sign (#) you are good. Now type in:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img

Once that is finished you are done. To reboot into recovery type in adb shell reboot recovery. just type reboot recovery

Upvote 0
did you do this?

3. Type in adb shell. If you see a dollar sign ($) then type in su and press enter. If it is a pound sign (#) you are good. Now type in:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img

Once that is finished you are done. To reboot into recovery type in adb shell reboot recovery. just type reboot recovery
Got it now. Thanks anyways, very much. Now to start removing some silly sprint apps!!

Upvote 0
run the installer as administrator

if that doesn't work add the option to run in vista compatibility mode

if that doesn't work change the option to run in xp compat mode (still as admin)

Once the program is installed make sure it's running as admin.

thanx, tried all these steps, but it didnt work, it always fails when installing the app to the phone, step 3

Upvote 0
thanx, tried all these steps, but it didnt work, it always fails when installing the app to the phone, step 3

I was having similar problems but I noticed that even when PdaNet didn't finish installing, it did still successfully install the drivers.

If that doesn't work, after choosing the install directory and hitting next, all the drivers will be extracted to a sub folder in that directory, so if you should be able to go there and copy that folder before you progress any further with the pdanet installation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones