1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint] How do you disable the ota on SPH-L720T sprint s4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alpha2k, Sep 22, 2014.

1. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

I thought I had the disabling ota on this sprint SPH-L720T Samsung s4, but it seems I don't.
    I've been reading and found to disable, delete or rename the file name SDM.apk and the file was supposed to be in the system/app folder, but I can't find that file.

So, a couple of questions....
    1: what file or files do I need to freeze, rename, delete to disable ota updates?

2: I will be rooted, but that's it. I am rooting with towwlroot so as not to trip Knox. I was told a xposed module would disable ota but my question is to use xposed do you have to install it via a custom recovery? If so that not an option because I do not want to trip Knox.
    Also does it trip Knox at all by installing or using it? ie: modify the boot loader or anything.

I'd be much more comfortable doing the first way honestly, so if way #1 is possible I'd rather do that way, just need to know what files and where they are located.
    If anyone can help I'd be most appreciative.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using XDA Free mobile app

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

I find it hard to believe that no one knows how to disable the ota.

Guess I'll bump, in hopes someone knows.

3. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

That's for the galaxy note 2, not the phone I'm after. It's not a matter of one way works for every device.

I have read multiple ways for the s4 and it really depends on the make or model, because not all the methods work for each and every s4 out there.

This is a prime example of just that.....For the methods I've seen it says to disable, freeze, rename a file and that file is nowhere on my phone. I was informed that is a file on the att model of the s4.
    That's why I specified the model number and carrier and phone.

So sticking to this specified phone, does anyone know a way to disable the ota ( on this phone)

4. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Android Expert

again. its in /cache. rename. done.

5. DaisFlaque

and again. xopsed can do this easily. its not a flashable. its an app. only needs root. link to installer... Xposed Installer | Xposed Module Repository not sure which module to use.. lol been awhile. good luck bud.

6. DaisFlaque

If you have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 you can delete these two files ‘fota.client.apk’ and ‘fwupgrade.apk’ with root explorer in system/apps. If *you*get an error that “filesystem is write protected,*just make sure while using root explorer click on R/W button at the top. If you have installed *an stock rooted odexed version, you can also include these two files ‘fotaclient.odex’ and ‘fwupgrade.odex’.

7. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

At the library right now so hopefully I can get a quick reponse so my time doesn't run out.

I downloaded the nc6 tar file and it tells me md5 mismatch. I'm not real familiar with those but I know they are basically a signing of sorts or a verification type.
    That aside though, so as to speed the process up.....is it possible a faulty download could cause a bad md5? I'm guessing yes, so am downloading now, and hope this is all that's wrong because I can't proceed any further right now.

8. DStreet323

DStreet323 Newbie

HERE's HOW:

[​IMG]Disable/Remove SmartDeviceManager.apk
    [​IMG]Disable/Remove FWupgrade.apk
    [​IMG]Rename or delete ‘wssyncmldm.apk’ to ‘wssyncmldm.apk.bak’.
    [​IMG]Pull build prop. Locate ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/jfltespr/jfltespr:4.4.2/KOT49H/L720VPUFNG2:user/release-keys and change /L720VPUFNG2 to /xxxxxx
    [​IMG]Drop FOTAkill.apk in system/app/

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews