• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] How does phone trade in work...

jaggz83

Lurker
Nov 2, 2010
Hey guys...can anyone tell me how it works when trading in a phone. My evo camcorder is not working and i dont know why so i want to trade it in. I already paid $483 for my evo so i hope i dont have to pay another load of money to trade. Thanks to anyone that has info on how the trade process works.

Hey guys...can anyone tell me how it works when trading in a phone. My evo camcorder is not working and i dont know why so i want to trade it in. I already paid $483 for my evo so i hope i dont have to pay another load of money to trade. Thanks to anyone that has info on how the trade process works.

Are you a new Sprint customer or long time customer?
1) Assuming you're a new Sprint Customer, I'd say you should just buy the EVO Shift outright and sell the EVO on ebay or Craig's List.
2) Assuming you're a long time Sprint Customer, if you paid $483 for your EVO, you should still have your upgrade available, so I'd just buy the Shift at the upgrade price w/ the 2 year extension and then sell the EVO online via ebay or Craig's list. It's much easier to sell the phone when the ESN is completely clear.

Now, if you're within the 30 days since you first purchased your EVO, you should be able to trade it in for the Shift without any issues, assuming you purchased the phone from Sprint or any other 3rd party retailer (and might even get money credited to you, since the shift is less expensive). If you're not within the 30 days since you first purchased the EVO, then trade-in shouldn't be considered unless you don't really care about not getting much back from the EVO.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Depending on how new your phone is, it may still be under warranty (assuming you bought it new). If it's still under warranty they'll fix it for free at a Sprint repair center whether you have insurance or not. If they're not able to fix it they will trade it out with a refurbished one for no charge.

Upvote 0
Depending on how new your phone is, it may still be under warranty (assuming you bought it new). If it's still under warranty they'll fix it for free at a Sprint repair center whether you have insurance or not. If they're not able to fix it they will trade it out with a refurbished one for no charge.

It's $35 if you don't have insurance. Still cheaper than buying a shift.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is Sprint, not HTC. If you still have your warranty, you can get it fixed for free, but you must actually mail it to HTC. It will have a turnaround time. If you take it to a repair center, you have to pay without insurance, but you get your phone right back.

I didn't know that! I've always had insurance so I've never encountered any problems. Thanks for clarifying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones