• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sprint HTC Hero - Mark All Mails As Read

I know this is posted all over android forums, but I just wanted to see if there is a solution yet.

I get 30-40 emails a day in my gmail account (the only account I use). I typically check them on a PC, but if I am out of the office, I will check them on my Sprint HTC Hero. If I have read the email on my PC, there is no reason for me to open it on my phone except to update the notifications as to how many emails I have left.

It would be nice to keep my notifications up-to-date as to how many unread emails i have. So when my phone shows that I have, say, 30 new emails, is there a way to go into the basic mail application, select all emails, and mark them as read? Or do I have to do it one by one. Or is there an app on the market that has better functionality for email and I can ditch the standard one.

Thanks for the help!

Since you have gmail, you should be using the gmail app. I just tested by sending 5 emails to my gmail account and waited until my phone received them, the following is what I did:

1. Clear notifications

2. Opened gmail app

3. Press the check mark with your finger on every email needed

4. Press the menu button

5. Press the Mark read button (note: this button will change to "Mark Unread" if they are already read)

6. All of them will change to "Read" status

7. Press Menu button

8. Press Deselect All

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to mark all as read in the Mail program (non-gmail)?

Unless I'm missing something, I need to use the regular Mail program on my phone to get email from my work server.

Like the first poster said, it is ridiculous to have to go through every single email just to mark them as read.

I'm in the same boat. It seems ridiculous that you are unable to select multiple emails and mark them as read the htc mail app.

I'm guessing that the fact that nobody has responded to similar inquiries that i have made on the forums means that HTC chose to leave this 'feature' out.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. It seems ridiculous that you are unable to select multiple emails and mark them as read the htc mail app.

I'm guessing that the fact that nobody has responded to similar inquiries that i have made on the forums means that HTC chose to leave this 'feature' out.

Go to Email. Press Menu. Press Delete. Press Menu (no, this is not a typo, press Menu again). Press Mark All. Now all emails are selected. You can uncheck any you don't want deleted. Now press the Delete button, all marked emails will be deleted.

jd

Reactions: jeremyseattle
Upvote 0
Thanks Jim - handy if I want to delete stuff - but all I want is the option to mark everything as read. This gets 99% there but for some reason someone has decided not to implement "mark as"...

The only approach that works so far is to mark them on the desktop client - they then sync back with the new "read" status - but would prefer to be able to do this on the handset. Can't have it all ...

Upvote 0
Thanks Jim - handy if I want to delete stuff - but all I want is the option to mark everything as read. This gets 99% there but for some reason someone has decided not to implement "mark as"...

The only approach that works so far is to mark them on the desktop client - they then sync back with the new "read" status - but would prefer to be able to do this on the handset. Can't have it all ...

Oops, sorry 'bout that, misread your post.

I don't use the stock email app. I use K-9, which is free, batch deleting and mark-read are quite easy.

The one thing to get used to about K-9 is that it always reflects the server. If you are showing emails in K-9, then you read mail from your PC and delete them from the server, K-9 will no longer show them. It's perfect for me, but some people have a problem with this.

K-9: http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-fsck-k9-Cjz.aspx

Sorry 'bout that.

jd

Upvote 0
Hi, I had the same problem and that is how I found this site. JUST now I figured out that you have to select one of the messages (green tick) then press the menu button and press "select all" which will give you an option to mark all as read/unread. If only unread is available, mark all as unread and then read.

Better late than never :)

Upvote 0
Hi, I had the same problem and that is how I found this site. JUST now I figured out that you have to select one of the messages (green tick) then press the menu button and press "select all" which will give you an option to mark all as read/unread. If only unread is available, mark all as unread and then read.

Better late than never :)
are you talking about the default email app, or the gmail app? I can't get this to work on the default app, as selecting 1 email opens it.

Upvote 0
It is the default email app. Make sure to press on the little tick, not the message itself.
From what LBPHeretic says, it sounds like the checkboxes are not available for everyone by default...I am using a Desire HD with Android 2.2, not sure if that makes a difference.

[edit]
Ok, a quick look on youtube and it appears that the HTC Hero does not have the checkboxes...might this be Android 2.1? Sorry for not noticing earlier that this thread was for the Hero.

Upvote 0
It is the default email app. Make sure to press on the little tick, not the message itself.
From what LBPHeretic says, it sounds like the checkboxes are not available for everyone by default...I am using a Desire HD with Android 2.2, not sure if that makes a difference.

[edit]
Ok, a quick look on youtube and it appears that the HTC Hero does not have the checkboxes...might this be Android 2.1? Sorry for not noticing earlier that this thread was for the Hero.

It does have the check boxes. Like I said, you have to press the Menu button and tap Delete for them to appear.

Then instead of pressing each one individually, you press the Menu button AGAIN and choose Mark All. This is on stock Android 2.1 with Sense UI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones