• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sprint HTC Hero Max. Volume Too Low

JDub

Nov 12, 2009
Ohio
Hey, everyone!

I've had the hero for about two months now and remain frustrated with the maximum levels of both the Ringer & Media volume settings.

Does anyone else experience what seems like a maximum volume level that just isn't loud enough?

If so, can anyone point me to any hacks or free reputable apps that are available to rectify this problem and push the max. volume levels higher on the Sprint HTC Hero?

If you feel that the volume on the Sprint Hero is adequate, please reply stating so so that I can try to determine if my particular unit might have a hardware or settings issue.

My apologies if I'm raising a topic that has already been addressed, but I searched the existing forum threads for some time without success.

Thanks guys, and gals!

I agree with you 100%. I got the Hero for, among several other reasons, consolidating my gadgets. I don't want to use my ipod any longer. I still love the phone but I hate that it is not louder. I ride a sportbike and love to have music going while I am carving through twisties. The Hero BARELY has enough volume to overcome my bike at rpm's over 5000. But nowhere near providing a good listening experience. Even working out, I am always wishing I could turn it up.... I have seen no apps and have asked on here about it and found nothing that makes it better. If you do find something, please reply back.

What I find weird, I have read posts where people say their Hero is very loud. This is my 2nd Hero and it is the same as the 1st. *shrug* I think it's the phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your feedback. There is an app. available for a small price that appears to be a Volume Hack in the Android Market, but I believe you have to have your phone rooted, and I'm not going through that mess. I'll take it back and demand an exchange to see if a replacement solves the issue before going near that solution. Hopefully where there's a will there's a way on this issue.

Other fellow Sprint Hero users... Please weigh-in on your opinion of the max. volume.

Upvote 0
Agreed that the volume is to low. Unfortunately I don't have a new car with a way to plug my phone into the audio system and I enjoy listening to podcasts on the way to work. Because of this I have to hold it up to my ear just to hear it. I would love to find a better way to increase the volume, maybe I will look at that app.

As for rooting your phone, that is very easy. Check out this site
Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero
He just put together an auto root. I was playing with it earlier today with no problems.

Upvote 0
Volume through the headphones are too low most of the time. Sometimes, depending on the song, it's better. I think it has to do with the quality of the download. 192 or better. I'm looking into those portable headphone
adapters. They are small. They range from $20 to $400. Forget the external for music. If that was louder, it would just sound worse.

Upvote 0
IMO the maximum ring volume is definitely too low, and the vibrate feature is useless.

I've never once felt the phone ring, unless I happened to be holding it in my hand. I've had the phone in my back pocket, expecting a call, and missed the call. So, big fail on that account.

I was talking with a Sprint service rep the other day and she said her friend's Hero vibrated so much it moved on the table. Mine has never come close to making an escape.

I'm definitely dissatisfied with the volume settings. I had to change to a louder ringtone (how is that even possible!?!) because I was missing calls. And when the notification volume was set at the same level, it was way too loud (I seem to have got it configured okay now).

It also annoys me that there's no way to set an audible notification when I receive a text message. Seriously?
****EDIT**** Sorry - I meant there's no way to set a _vibrate_ notification for text messages. Thanks eyebeam, I do have a sound notification set. Duh.

But I'm having other hardware problems now too - apparently something has fallen off inside my phone and is making a terrible buzzing sound during calls. The cut-metal button decorations broke almost immediately, and are continuing to deteriorate. I'm thinking about getting a new handset but I'm not sure how easy it is to transfer settings to a new phone.... But I digress. Yes, the volume is wonky, you are not wrong.

Upvote 0
It also annoys me that there's no way to set an audible notification when I receive a text message. Seriously?
:thinking:

Go to Messages > Menu > Settings > Scroll to Notifications and make sure it's checked > right underneath that > Select Sound.

In Handcent: Menu > Settings > Make sure Notifications is checked > Notification Setting > Select Ringtone.

...Unless that's another problem you're experiencing.

Upvote 0
Having the same issue with max volume. Both media and when on a call using headset. I'm using the bose in-ear headset and thought it was the headset but have tested on other devices and determined that max volume on the hero is too low. I can barely hear someone on a call. Don't want to root my phone to install the volume boost app, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Let me know if you think this is an issue with the device and if I should exchange.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones