• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] I need help in regards to rooting

Okay, thank you for your patience and help thus far. I went to command window and typed: fastboot flash recovery twrp.IMG (again). The computer says: sending 'recovery' <5478KB>... Then on the phone (in fastboot mode), it reads at bottom: Fastboot Status- Okay. The command window on PC has been saying "sending..." for ten minutes so far?

Upvote 0
Alright, maybe it did finish flashing. The device does let you navigate a little bit while in fastboot mode. Using the volume keys to change options, and the power button to select the option. Initially, the option will be on Start. Try using the volume down button to change the option to recovery mode, and then hit the power to select it. One of 2 things will happen. First possibility would be that it loads into twrp and we continue just fine. Second possibility will be that you'll see a dead android with a red exclamation mark over it. We want the first, so try that and report back.

Upvote 0
Yes, the computer should eventually finish giving you a time it took after it finished. Like this attachment.

Attachments

• fastboot.png
    fastboot.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
okay, well this is definately taking longer then that....hmmm....okay there is something else I noticed as far as the PC. It no longer list "Galaxy Nexus" when open My Computer and shows connected devices? It use too because I could open the files and send music and movies from phone to pc. But the pc recognizes it in the command window?

Upvote 0
okay, well this is definately taking longer then that....hmmm....okay there is something else I noticed as far as the PC. It no longer list "Galaxy Nexus" when open My Computer and shows connected devices? It use too because I could open the files and send music and movies from phone to pc. But the pc recognizes it in the command window?

That is fine, when the device is in fastboot mode, it will not show up as a usb mass storage, and will show up in the device manager as an Android ADB device. That is normal and when the phone is in fastboot mode, you can not exchange files between the device and the computer. Do you happen to have another cable that would be compatible by any chance? I doubt that's the issue, but I'm going to suggest anything that comes to mind.

Upvote 0
I plugged in back port and did the first command(fastboot flash recovery twrp.img) the PC rebooted and phone read: Fastboot Status- Download:00559800, then read: Fastboot Command Read Error- 2147483647 ???? After PC rebooted again, I tried command again and PC command window said "sending, etc...." and phone reads: Fastboot Status - Okay???

Upvote 0
If I send the WugFresh Development folder to my usb key(flashdrive), and go to another computer will I be able to do this from the USB key without files actually on other computer?
For the most part, yes. You'll have to reconfigure your drivers, so that the computer sees the device, but it should be no problem other than that. I was actually about to suggest that same idea.

Upvote 0
I only have this cable now, and it is brand new it worked to unlock and PC can detect and reboot the device? I am thinking it is a problem with my PC which wouldn't surprise me. I had to restore it and it works alot better than it did, however even when I am not in fastboot it no longer brings up Galaxy Nexus when I click on MY Computer (as a connected device)? Not sure how to fix it or what i did to make that happen?

Upvote 0
Technically no, just need the one .exe file that contains them called Samsung_Drivers.exe. Having the toolkit on the other computer may help you configure them if you don't recall the overall procedure and could possibly even do the rooting automatically for you if it turns out that your current computer was the issue. So yes, I would install it just to be sure.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay...I see my "go to" idea of trying another cable has already been mentioned :p (had to feed the dogs, LOL ;)).

I've yet to fully carefully read through the thread (I scanned it on my phone a little bit ago), but this "feels" similar to what I experienced when I tried using fastboot on a USB 3.0 port--it was just wonky/flaky/hangy, etc.

If you don't have access to a difference PC (with a USB 2.0) port on it, you might be able to try finding a Linux distro that you could boot from a CD and see if you have more success that way--Linux plays much nicer with USB that Windows does, so perhaps that would get you over what we think might be a USB 1.0 issue.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones