• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Navigation in landscape mode?

My Universal Mount came in today.
Gotta admit it's totally ghetto and pretty cool :)

I also have to admit I'm using OpenSuse and can't figure out how to batch convert photos so I can post.

Please do post some pics when u get a chance. I am prolly gonna order one but what are you initial thoughts? Does it stay on your windshield, do you think it will break pretty easy?

Upvote 0
Got DigiKam working :)

GPS_Mount01.JPG GPS_Mount02.JPG
The swivel mechanics could be slicker, I'd think a ball & socket would be cheaper to make.
The actual holder rotates and has a lock, lock doesn't work however.
The 1st photo shows the grips. They're pretty configurable. Of course they open as well.

GPS_Mount06.JPG GPS_Mount07.JPG
Attached to my windshield with a few drops of water.
The bulkiness works for me as my Wife's Garmin sits way back when mounted in the same location.
I like it sitting forward. This won't be the final location since it needs to be connected to power.

For $3.36 I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to test it on my Pre though to make sure it doesn't come off teh windshield and drop my Evo out the window at 80.

Reactions: Mikesnap
Upvote 0
Got DigiKam working :)

View attachment 4929 View attachment 4930
The swivel mechanics could be slicker, I'd think a ball & socket would be cheaper to make.
The actual holder rotates and has a lock, lock doesn't work however.
The 1st photo shows the grips. They're pretty configurable. Of course they open as well.

View attachment 4931 View attachment 4932
Attached to my windshield with a few drops of water.
The bulkiness works for me as my Wife's Garmin sits way back when mounted in the same location.
I like it sitting forward. This won't be the final location since it needs to be connected to power.

For $3.36 I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to test it on my Pre though to make sure it doesn't come off teh windshield and drop my Evo out the window at 80.

Nice. I'll probably be getting one, but can you let us know if it does hold the Pre pretty well after driving around for a while?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Ok so I'm not familiar with Android (Palm OS -> WinMo 5 -> WinMo 6 -> WinMo 6.1 -> WinMo 6.5 -> WebOS) ... One thing that I didn't like about the Pre is that Sprint Navigation is in portrait mode, so it doesn't work well for mounting in a car.

Does the Android Sprint Nav work in landscape mode?

This would be beautiful to have on the Evo and mounted in the car (and I heard there will be a car mount accessory for it) in landscape mode instead of my GPS I already use.. along with bluetooth to my car stereo ...

YouTube - Demo: Sprint Navigation on the HTC EVO 4G

Upvote 0
There will be no reason for you to use Sprint Nav with your EVO. Google Navigation, ftw! And yes, it can be displayed in landscape.

I tried both in Boston last weekend. I think the Sprint Navigation provides just a bit better experience.

Now - can we output the video of our preferred app running to, say, 75 ohm coax (typical yellow single RCA plug...) for video input to an aftermarket car receiver? That woud allow the phone to run the nav app and once it is getting you there, you could see it display on the big stereo screen and just leave the phone in the console or wherever without having to worry about a temp mount to put it in your face up on the dash...

I know we have an HDMI out but I think that is limited to just videos saved in the phone - at 720P.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones