• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Navigation in landscape mode?

seigex

Android Enthusiast
May 20, 2010
Ok so I'm not familiar with Android (Palm OS -> WinMo 5 -> WinMo 6 -> WinMo 6.1 -> WinMo 6.5 -> WebOS) ... One thing that I didn't like about the Pre is that Sprint Navigation is in portrait mode, so it doesn't work well for mounting in a car.

Does the Android Sprint Nav work in landscape mode?

This would be beautiful to have on the Evo and mounted in the car (and I heard there will be a car mount accessory for it) in landscape mode instead of my GPS I already use.. along with bluetooth to my car stereo ...

Finally, SprintNav in landscape. I haven't used GoogleNav but I really like SprintNav.
Better than my Father's TomTom and my wife GarminNuvi.
When their's craps out SprintNav normally finds the way.

Landscape was the one thing missing.

Until I work up the "guts" to by the car dock, expecting $50 like the Nexus One dock.
I ordered a generic dock for $3.36 with shipping :)

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
i saw a feature .. don't know if its froyo only but you can look up directions on google maps on your pc and click publish to phone and it shows up automatically on the phone for turn by turn... *drool*

I am very interested in this feature. I've been wanting this for a while. I haven't heard anything about this before... does anyone know any more details?

Upvote 0
That is very slick. I wonder if there are going to be settings available for that send to phone feature (I didn't have time to watch the rest of the vid.)

I would prefer the phone to have my directions available upon prompt as opposed to immediately going into nav mode. Generally I have some other use for the phone between the time i'm at the comp and the time I get in the car and need to see the directions.

Upvote 0
i saw a feature .. don't know if its froyo only but you can look up directions on google maps on your pc and click publish to phone and it shows up automatically on the phone for turn by turn... *drool*

You can do that already, well sort of. You can look up your directions on the pc and click the link to email the directions to your phone. I think there is a way to do that with Sprint Nav also.

Upvote 0

I'll have to find the exact link and coupon code when I get off my pre.
The site was shop4tech, it's a "universal gps car mount holder". It was 3.95 before the coupon.

I'm sure they'll be an add-on to add the funtionality to firefox. I hate the way the chrome extension does ad-blocking compared to firefox.
Until that's improved no switch for me.

Upvote 0
I'll have to find the exact link and coupon code when I get off my pre.
The site was shop4tech, it's a "universal gps car mount holder". It was 3.95 before the coupon.

I'm sure they'll be an add-on to add the funtionality to firefox. I hate the way the chrome extension does ad-blocking compared to firefox.
Until that's improved no switch for me.

Here is the link for that Universal GPS Car Mount Holder (LINK). You can find a coupon HERE as well. Saw some 15% and 10% off coupons, but not sure which are still good.

Upvote 0
I'll have to find the exact link and coupon code when I get off my pre. The site was shop4tech, it's a "universal gps car mount holder". It was 3.95 before the coupon.

OK, found it at Universal GPS Car Mount Holder . The price is so low even without a coupon that I just ordered it. Saw stroth's posting afterward.

I don't use a car holder for my current phone, but would like to try an inexpensive one for the Evo. If it breaks but I feel I like having one then I will buy a more sturdy and expensive one.

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
There will be no reason for you to use Sprint Nav with your EVO. Google Navigation, ftw! And yes, it can be displayed in landscape.

so what's the diff between google nav and sprint nav....i have only used sprint, and i have no complaints...i've never used google nav so maybe it's a case of not knowing what i'm missing, but anyone care to share why i should enjoy google nav way more?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones