• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Next Best Sprint Phone After Evo?

zackman2091

Mar 21, 2010
Ok so my upgrade has been up for a couple days now, and im always about going right out and getting the next best thing, but is there anything out there that is even comparable to the evo. This phone is amazing still to this day, other then not enough ram, it is amazing

So my question is has anyone heard of a sprint phone that is commin out that is even Comparable to the evo?

I had the EVO 4G and upgraded to the EVO 3D. For me it has been a worthy upgrade. Use the 3D aspect much more than I thought I would and enjoy the full mirroring of the phone with mhl. The mhl standard is unique because it allows you to, in addition to full mirroring, view 3D content on a non-3d tv. I have had no call quality issues and data speeds are excellent.

This is my opinion only. This is a great time to be upgrading so I would advise that you just go by the Sprint store and try them out and see for yourself what best suits you.

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Ok so my upgrade has been up for a couple days now, and im always about going right out and getting the next best thing, but is there anything out there that is even comparable to the evo. This phone is amazing still to this day, other then not enough ram, it is amazing

So my question is has anyone heard of a sprint phone that is commin out that is even Comparable to the evo?

I think the 2 best phones that are worthy upgrades to the EVO are the Samsung Epic 4G Touch and the Motorola Photon 4G

If you haven't already heard about the best phone on the market, the Samsung Galaxy S2, the Epic 4G Touch is Sprint's variant of it. It has a 4.52 in. Super Amoled Plus screen (but is barely noticeably wider and taller than the EVO) which is IMO the best mobile screen you could ever use. The colors are very vibrant and it makes every other phone look washed out. It's also more readable in direct sunlight than any other phone and it actually saves energy.

The Samsung Exynos Dual-Core Processor is what really makes this phone the best. This is the best processor on the market. It makes the Samsung Galaxy S2 pretty much lag-less and the browser is faster than any other mobile browser.

The camera is probably one of the best cameras too. It shoots 1080p videos in high profile, which is incredible, no other Sprint phone does this. It also has a lot of nice customizations too. It's an 8mp on back and 2mp on the front.

This phone is the thinnest smartphone on Sprint (9.59 mm compared to 12.05 mm on EVO 3D)
And is really lightweight.

This is definitely my next phone, but you should go in to the store and check it out and some other phones when it comes out on Sept. 16th.

Here's a couple Hands-on video of the Epic 4G Touch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaj324VSkfc

Skip to about 3:00 to see the motion features on this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diSAkc-SDtM

And here's a review of the Motorola Photon 4G:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeJTqACKc2o

Here's a video comparison of the International Samsung Galaxy S2 vs HTC EVO 3D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15wf3T43-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgP44bcWn8c

Reactions: aliciaa1
Upvote 0
My issue with that is that i love htc products, i love their ui and i love the roms that are made when i can root the phone, so idk what i would do if they didnt come out with another top competator soon

Well if you love Sense then you should obviously go with the HTC EVO 3D. Personally, I love Sense (Not more than TouchWiz 4.0) but not enough to risk performance. That's why I prefer TouchWiz 4.0 and the E4GT. But if you're going to install a custom ROM anyways the SGS2 has a ton of dev support (seeing that it is the most popular phone in the world) and probably can probably be easily ported over to the E4GT. It probably even has more support than the 3VO because of the locked bootloader situation.

Upvote 0
Nothing about an iPhone can change significantly enough to make it better than most dual-core Android phones (except probably copy more features from Android). iPhone doesn't have anything innovative about it. If we had the same apps as the iPhone I'm pretty sure there would be barely anyone with iPhones. Android is just a better user experience, it's really the apps that draw people to iOS.

Upvote 0
I hate apples marketing, but I think objective measures lead to a very successful iphone 4. build quality, speed, stability of operating system, battery life is there. When compared to many androids, some functions don't work right, probably because android doesn't yet have the negotiation power to stop carriers from mucking with the OS like apple can. This will change, but the iphone 5 will probably be better than the sgs2 as well. Android is too divided right now, each carrier trying to add stupid features to differentiate between eachother, while the iphone RnD is on one conformed device.

evo is 1 year old = ancient.

Upvote 0
I hate apples marketing, but I think objective measures lead to a very successful iphone 4. build quality, speed, stability of operating system, battery life is there. When compared to many androids, some functions don't work right, probably because android doesn't yet have the negotiation power to stop carriers from mucking with the OS like apple can. This will change, but the iphone 5 will probably be better than the sgs2 as well. Android is too divided right now, each carrier trying to add stupid features to differentiate between eachother, while the iphone RnD is on one conformed device.

evo is 1 year old = ancient.

SGS2 - Android, bigger and better screen, video calling on 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi, probably thinner, better UI, possibly better processor (if the iPhone 5 has the A5), faster browser, HDMI/MHL, 4G, More customizable, Real multitasking, Widgets... probably more but I can't think of any right now

iPhone - Simple, Smoother, More and better Apps and games, possibly better battery life.... That's all I can think of.

And as for iPhone 4's build quality, most of the the phone is covered in breakable glass.... How is that supposed to be better build quality when it's easier to break than almost any Android phone? it might look cooler but it's stupid I've seen so many cracked iPhones I'd swear they make them like that.

Upvote 0
we'll see when the iphone5 comes out, i bet it will be thinner, may be faster, and will have better build quality + camera. I hope the change the ui cuz apple ui is pretty crap. The problem with sgs2 is that the phone is four months old already before they are released on the U.S = long time in phone tech curve. Why the hell are they making the sprint version 4.5". that's ridiculous since the screen resolution will be the same and stretched out, it's just too big. plus, battery life with sprints battery eating 4g not gonna be good. On my evo, I leave 4g off 99% of the time, mostly because of battery. Imagine if everyone kept samsung's body the same = more Rnd concentrated on best battery/casing/build quality.

Sprint should have stucked with evdo rev a ("3g" speeds). it was like 4-6 megs + didn't consume power like 4g. (sprint nerfed it down to under 1meg after 4g came out to make 4g seem more improved than it was)

I will buying an iphone5 close to launch and probably selling it. I bet resale price will be very high, even for a sprint version. Probably gonna keep with old android until nexus prime comes out in October. It's samsung's fault for delaying us launch four months.

Upvote 0
we'll see when the iphone5 comes out, i bet it will be thinner, may be faster, and will have better build quality + camera. I hope the change the ui cuz apple ui is pretty crap. The problem with sgs2 is that the phone is four months old already before they are released on the U.S = long time in phone tech curve. Why the hell are they making the sprint version 4.5". that's ridiculous since the screen resolution will be the same and stretched out, it's just too big. plus, battery life with sprints battery eating 4g not gonna be good. On my evo, I leave 4g off 99% of the time, mostly because of battery. Imagine if everyone kept samsung's body the same = more Rnd concentrated on best battery/casing/build quality.

Sprint should have stucked with evdo rev a ("3g" speeds). it was like 4-6 megs + didn't consume power like 4g. (sprint nerfed it down to under 1meg after 4g came out to make 4g seem more improved than it was)

I will buying an iphone5 close to launch and probably selling it. I bet resale price will be very high, even for a sprint version. Probably gonna keep with old android until nexus prime comes out in October. It's samsung's fault for delaying us launch four months.

The SGS2 might be 4 months old, BUT the iPhone will be a year old in comparison before it even hits, just like every other iPhone. The iPhone 5 will not be some device with just bleeding edge specs. It's gonna be maybe a slightly bigger, slightly thinner iPhone 4 running iOS 5 with the A5 and probably the same Retina Display. That's about it. And guess what.. They're still gonna sell like hot cakes. That's Apple's plan, they barely upgrade it call it an iPhone X and then it will sell REGARDLESS. 70-80% of iPhone users don't even know the specs of their phone except for the camera and screen.

But why am I even arguing with you about a phone that no one knows the specs!? From history of iPhones, iPhones have always released behind the tech curve and call it revolutionary, iOS 5 will be revolutionary by stealing as many Android features as they can, changing it slightly and saying they invented the wheel. (i.e. Notification Center) So if the iPhone 5 is gonna be so great, I'm gonna need proof.

Also 4G isn't meant to be on all the time, it's just for when you need to load a video or browse the internet faster. Samsung phones also always have better battery life than alot of HTC phones.

Upvote 0
If I remember at the time of iphone 4, evo came out. correct me if i'm wrong but:
Iphone screen was the best screen on the market in image quality, but size sucked 3.5"
thinnest well specced smart phone on the market
best camera (5mp) vs 8mp evo, but 5mp was better. iphone lens and sensor is better (matters more than mp)
best video recording on the market.
iphone is faster than evo, but no multitasking
best battery management on the market (still holds this title)

I expect the iphone5 to leapfrog current android offerings, but the next android samsung prime to outperform it (hopefully by a large margin).

Upvote 0
If I remember at the time of iphone 4, evo came out. correct me if i'm wrong but:
Iphone screen was the best screen on the market in image quality, but size sucked 3.5"
thinnest well specced smart phone on the market
best camera (5mp) vs 8mp evo, but 5mp was better. iphone lens and sensor is better (matters more than mp)
best video recording on the market.
iphone is faster than evo, but no multitasking
best battery management on the market (still holds this title)

I expect the iphone5 to leapfrog current android offerings, but the next android samsung prime to outperform it (hopefully by a large margin).

No HDMI, no Hotspot, in a speed test the EVO actually loaded faster than the iPhone 4, no video calling on 3G, easily broken, signal issues when you "hold it wrong", AT&T's horrible, same garbage UI, No flash player, no SD, no removable battery cover, etc.

The EVO was the first phone to best the iPhone before it came out. The EVO just had way more functionality than the iPhone 4 (more due to Android than HTC). iOS just can't beat Android. I'd use an iPod touch just to play the games because that's the only thing it's good for, but an iPhone is just an iPod touch you can call on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones