• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Ok guys GOOD news!!!!! for us L720T owners...

alpha2k

Android Expert
Nov 19, 2009
We now have a working NC6 and NG5 de-odexed stock rooted roms. Both should have superSU and Busybox installed, and everything I have tested is working fine.

The XDA post is here: [q] ALL THINGS GALAXY S4 (GS4) MODEL SPH-L72… - Pg. 144 | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 4 | XDA Forums

I will copy and paste my post from there for thse lazy people who can't point and click lol.

First off I'd like to thank bthorne79 and others who put their time and efforts into things like this so we can enjoy our phones more fully. Grats and props to bthorne79 for makeing this work so us L720T phone owners can now enjoy more options. This should open up more customization and possibly roms. So congrats bthorne79 for your efforts and the very FIRST in making a working deodexed L720T rom.

What I have Tested:
-GPS
-WiFi
-Calculator
-Calendar
-Camera (pic and video)
-Chrome
-Contacts
-Phone
-Gallery
-Maps
-Music
-MyFiles
-Photos
-S Memo (text and pen style)
-Settings (various things within settings)
-SuperSu
-Video player
-Updated Voicemail
and
-YouTube
I also even swapped between 3g and 4g and toggled data on and off.
Everything as far as I can tell is working like it should.

To go further yet I have successfully modded/themed a working S5 settings, quicktoggles, and Tw Launcher. Everything works except minor glitches.

The file is an s5 settings from the note 3 and works on an s4 but there are a couple things that I found do not work correctly. It has to deal with display and sound settings.

1: Sound settings - It opens fine and everything under the sound settings menu work except for Volume at the very top. If you try and open that you will get a settings force close and it wil reset back to settings menu again. Everything thing else as far as getting into those settings such as Vibration intensity, ringtones, notification sound, etc...they all work as normal.

2: Display settings - It opens fine and everything under the display settings menu work except for Brightness at the very top. If you try and open that you will get a settings force close and it will reset back to settings menu again. Everything thing else as far as getting into those settings such as screen timeout, Screen mode, show battery %, etc...they all work normal.

These are the only 2 options I have found that do not work, but the rest seems to work just fine....to me it's a minor hiccup I can deal with.

You also may get a message about settings fc popup now and then, namely at bootup, and occasionally now and then it pops up. I can deal with this also as it's not a constant thing, but some may find it annoying.

This is the closest thing to S5 settings I could find after many hours of searching, rebooting, renaming, setting permissions, etc..etc....I have finally come to an end, there just isn't any other S5 settings that work out there so this wil have to do for now, it's the best overall solution I have found that actually works (sorta) and is more stable than any other secsettings file I have tried, and trust me I have tried a ton of them.

Overall I have basically the s5 settings launcher and quicktoggles on my s4 .

If anyone is interested I can then tr and host the 2 files and how to's on what to do to get this to work.

Again this is only for the L720T Sprint S4 phones, although this may work on other s4 variants but I'm not sure of that, I just know it works on the L720T phone I am currently on.

I also want to stress again make a backup or have a working rom to fall back on in case anything might go flaky for whatever reason.

I nor bthorne79 will not be held responsible for anything that might go bad with your phones.

That being said I hope others will enjoy their no so called s5's like I am WHEEEEEEE!

Let me know if you'd like the s5 files and a how-to and I will work on that, if not then you can still enjoy a rooted de-odexed rom.

The link to the files are here:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=20593

This is a recovery flashable zip, just flash it like you would any other rom.
I use TWRP 2.8 and I do the following:
-format data
-wipe cache
-install rom
-reboot system
Nothing real fancy, this is jst a normal rom flash.

It looks as if both files are now uploaded in full. There are also stock modems for those who might want those as well. The modems are odin flashable just make sure of instead of putting the zip in the "pda" slot, make sure you use the "phone" slot for flashing the modems.
For those of you who would like a how to on flashing the modems via odin here is the link for that:

Galaxy S4 Radio/Modems | GalaxyS4Root.com

Lastly and most importantly, if you appreciate this in any way shape of form PLEASE please gives thanks where it is due, to the bthorne79. This is the VERY FIRST de-odexed rom out for this phone, so for one am VERY VERY VERY happy about this and cannot express my thanks enough to that guy heh.

Reactions: DaisFlaque
Very nice write up. Thank you alpha. This shall be very helpful to the community.

I hope so. I haven't seen any results yet. For this T phone there didn't seem to be much choice when it comes to roms. Most if not all the L720 roms out don't work well, all of the vz roms I have tried gps doesn't want to work, in fact just about every rom I try the gps just doesn't work at all. Gps test shows not a single satellite in sight, not even one.
Only 2 roms thus far I found I can use and work correctly are cm11 and stock.

Now if I could get gps to work correctly or find a fix to make it work right that would open SO many opportunities. But sadly I have not found a fix.

Either people don't correctly know how to test a gps or else they are just not testing it at all. You cannot correctly test gps by standing in one spot. To correctly test gps you have to move around to different areas to see if it actually sticks to you, otherwise when you move you get like I do and gps loses you alltogether and you end up with no satellites at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones