• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sprint Optimus Elite ROOT achieved!!!

Well, after 3 days, and much help from Giantpune and hashtag, we finally achieved root for the Sprint LG Optimus Elite. Right now its only for my phone, and his I think, but there is alot of compiling and bugs to wrok on, so hopefully it will be out and about for everyone else. I can not thank hashtag and Giantpune enough for all the help. You rock. ill keep you all posted as to any issues, which are none as of yet. Now if only we can get CMW to get going on a recovery for these phones.

Reactions: pilot03 and Hashtag
This is great. Any idea when we might see some more info? I have a Sprint Optimus Elite on Ting with some limitations and bloatware that I'd like to get rid of through root. I've never attempted to root an Android device before, but I'm fairly comfortable with command lines and improving/unlocking other types of devices that I've used over the years.

Upvote 0
What is Ting? And what version is your kernel? The sprint one we were messing with was LS696 with the v9 kernel.

Ting is a no contract Sprint service reseller with flexible plans. They are pretty new and still seem like a very small outfit. They get phones directly from Sprint and to the best of my knowledge do nothing to them in terms of their own roms or apps. They even come with Sprint branding on them. I also believe that users have had luck rooting other handsets as if they were directly from Sprint. My software version is listed as LS696ZV9.

Upvote 0
I have a LGOE from Ting -- I rooted it on day three (just didn't have a spare hour). I followed giantprune's method -- worked like a charm. The only issue I had was getting the drivers properly loaded. I believe I had to install the stock drivers from LG and then I could properly replace them and proceed with the exploit application.

Very happy now -- no more Sprint ID and no more Sprint bloat.

Upvote 0
I have a LGOE from Ting -- I rooted it on day three (just didn't have a spare hour). I followed giantprune's method -- worked like a charm. The only issue I had was getting the drivers properly loaded. I believe I had to install the stock drivers from LG and then I could properly replace them and proceed with the exploit application.

Very happy now -- no more Sprint ID and no more Sprint bloat.

Thanks for letting me know. I just checked the linux guide and it seems straight forward enough. I'll keep an eye on here and the ting forums for more success stories as I haven't attempted to root a phone before and don't want to run into any surprises.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones