• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint or BB Insurance?

aptmx

Nov 1, 2009
Fellow Hero owners:

Do you guys prefer the Sprint or the BB Insurance? I have to decide which one to get! They are both $7.99 a month (for the most complete plan). The BB one does not cover loss, theft or complete submersion. The Sprint TEP one does, but there is a $100 deductible. The BB one has no deductible. What do you guys have? Any recommendations based on past experiences with either plan?

Thanks!

Do the math.

$100 deductible + $7 month x 24 months = $268 if you replace your phone once(and you will probably get a refurbished phone). If you have to replace it twice = $368. If you are patient, you can get one for $275 right now on eBay. In a year from now you will be able to get these phones for about $100 -$150 on eBay.

These insurance companies are not offering this out of the kindness of their hearts, they make huge bucks from these plans.

Be careful with your phone and it will last. Also, you have 1 year manufacturer warranty that covers defects.

Upvote 0
Do the math.

$100 deductible + $7 month x 24 months = $268 if you replace your phone once(and you will probably get a refurbished phone). If you have to replace it twice = $368. If you are patient, you can get one for $275 right now on eBay. In a year from now you will be able to get these phones for about $100 -$150 on eBay.

These insurance companies are not offering this out of the kindness of their hearts, they make huge bucks from these plans.

Be careful with your phone and it will last. Also, you have 1 year manufacturer warranty that covers defects.

Peace of mind is what we pay for. The Ebay option, what if you get a phone that is reported stolen, then you have to deal with the hassle to get your money back. 1 year manufacturer warranty means you have to send your phone in , might take a week or two to get it back. (guessing, never had to send it in because of sprint's insurrance)

Upvote 0
Peace of mind is what we pay for. The Ebay option, what if you get a phone that is reported stolen, then you have to deal with the hassle to get your money back. 1 year manufacturer warranty means you have to send your phone in , might take a week or two to get it back. (guessing, never had to send it in because of sprint's insurrance)

Forget the insurance, I just bought a 2nd Hero or $69 from Bestbuy. :D That is $30 less than Sprint deductible. And so if I never use it, then oh well, I still have the extra charger and battery!

The eBay thing... I would never buy without checking out the ESN first and Paypal has your back on most purchases. I don't buy from non-verified sellers.

So the bottom line is with the insurance, you are still out $268 for a single phone replacement.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones