1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint] Order in which to install....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alpha2k, Oct 24, 2014.

1. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

Instead of using twrp I'll be using my favorite Philz recovery.

That being said I'm curious, does it matter what order you install/do things concerning root stuff ie: recovery, root, rom.

My guess is the best way would be in this order.
    Root
    Rom
    Recovery

Then in recovery do clear stuff like cache.

I'm just wondering if I say root then put recovery and do the rom if it would hurt anything.

DaisFlaque likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Android Expert

Never has for me. But I do highly suggest putting a recovery on there first.. and doing a backup of all stock partitions. This way you'll always have a stock to fall back on. Good luck.

3. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

i retract my previous statement about using philz recovery.
    I did a root of my phone with cf-autoroot and I was under the impression that cf-autoroot installed twrp recovery, but for me that was not the case.

So I was checking around t download twrp and philz recoveries just to see which one I liked better and it looks as if the user phil (the creator of philz recovery) is no longer supporting philz recovery. That being said I'll go with twrp as it looks like they are still supporting theirs. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad or wrong with using philz....I have used it on my s2 and s3 and had a god experience with it and this is not to say it will not work at all....I am just choosing to go woth twrp this time.

Just thought people might wanna know about the discontinuing support.

I am successfully rooted, knoxed up and running cm11 on my phone now.

Edit:
    Just for those who read this........you must root first, THEN install the recovery.A recovery will not work unless the phone is rooted......according to what I've read anyways.
    So I am sticking with the order I normally do things.....root then recovery.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews