• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sprint PRL Updates Thread (Latest PRL 21090)

You are just dealing with changes in the network. Your phone is using the same exact channels of Sprint signal on all these different versions of PRLs. Go look in the debug screen on the phone yourself.

The update profile is just setting up your data settings, AAA key, etc. On some phones it sets up those proxies again too. If the data is already working, how is setting up the data again going to fix any speeds? It's not going to make your phone use some magical channel on the tower that no one else is using as a data profile doesn't even control that level of communication.

Upvote 0
You are just dealing with changes in the network. Your phone is using the same exact channels of Sprint signal on all these different versions of PRLs. Go look in the debug screen on the phone yourself.

The update profile is just setting up your data settings, AAA key, etc. On some phones it sets up those proxies again too. If the data is already working, how is setting up the data again going to fix any speeds? It's not going to make your phone use some magical channel on the tower that no one else is using as a data profile doesn't even control that level of communication.

We have been looking for the answer to that question for quite a while......

More precisely.....why does
update prl
THEN update data profile

in that order, have a positive effect on 3g speeds.

Once a prl update is completed the speeds drop again until the data profile is restored again.

My suspicion is that one of those data settings in the profile is overwritten or wiped ....but I honestly havent had time to research further.
I know the prl itself is not increasing speeds ....but there has been no definitive answer and quite a few assume that is what increases the speeds regardless of the number of times we stress otherwise.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

As you seem well versed on the subject of PRL's and data profiles I would like to ask a question. I work as a technician for Sprint, and I agree that updating PRL and data profile rarely have any effect on a customer's reception. However doing an actual "data refresh" by dialing ##3282# or ##72786# (on some Samsungs) and entering the MSL has increased performance or even fixed phones that could not get a data connection at all. What is this function actually doing to the phone that is different than the PRL and data profile updates?

Upvote 0
that's interesting, EVOlution3.

so you are saying that all one has to do is enter ##data# and enter the MSL and just THOSE steps corrects issues?????? not altering any changes from within the MSL access page????? this is the first i've heard of such...

Correct. This is always the first method I try when a customer is having data issues.

When I say correcting data issues though, I mean real problems. Like a web page takes 30 seconds or more to load or doesn't connect at all. I'm not promising you'll gain 10mbps or anything like that.

Upvote 0
that's interesting, EVOlution3.

so you are saying that all one has to do is enter ##data# and enter the MSL and just THOSE steps corrects issues?????? not altering any changes from within the MSL access page????? this is the first i've heard of such...

he is missing a few key steps ;) I am pretty certain he is refering to reprovisioning...the manual forced method of updating the data profile that you and I were refering to above

doing those two things alone does absolutely nothing

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
he is missing a few key steps ;) I am pretty certain he is refering to reprovisioning...the manual forced method of updating the data profile that you and I were refering to above

doing those two things alone does absolutely nothing

What key steps? Some phones its as simple as that, others you have to hit the menu key and either go to edit mode or refresh. I figured most people on here would be able to figure that out. If they can manage to get the MSL that is.

Upvote 0
on htc handsets, simply just "opening" up the MSL menu does nothing. you must initiate an entry, change/edit the value, then hit "commit changes" to which the device reboots.

What do you mean by "MSL" menu? It sounds more like you are talking about the manual provisioning menu. The data menu is different and you do not have manually enter any values.

Upvote 0
##DATA# brings up the EPST menu. you can view or edit values.

if you want to EDIT you need to input the MSL. once you do that you are in the menu. i call it the "msl" menu since you need the MSL to access it to change values.

in your example you say to simply enter ##data# and then the MSL and thats all you need to do. once you enter the MSL you are in the same menu i speak, however in order to change anything or make any changes you need to actually DO something.. simply entering the MSL will not "Refresh" anything.

Upvote 0

if you want to EDIT you need to input the MSL. once you do that you are in the menu. i call it the "msl" menu since you need the MSL to access it to change values.

in your example you say to simply enter ##data# and then the MSL and thats all you need to do. once you enter the MSL you are in the same menu i speak, however in order to change anything or make any changes you need to actually DO something.. simply entering the MSL will not "Refresh" anything.

exactly.

i commend anyone that comes online and tries to help....but encourage all to read around a bit before posting :p

sprint techs have helped me a number of times with hardware issues....on the other hand though I have taught them more on the software side of things :D

and I mean no disrespect by that at all

Upvote 0

The "MSL" menu would actually be ##(MSL)# and it will bring up a view and edit mode as well where you can program the phone number and MSID for manual provisioning. This is an EPST (Equipment Performance Support Tool) menu as well.

On some phones ##DATA# will bring up a prompt requesting the MSL and upon entering it the phone will immediately reboot refreshing the data tables and that is actually all you have to do.

On other phones, for example the EVO 3D, you have to enter ##DATA#, then select Data Profile, hit menu you key, hit "restore". Navigating these menus is slightly different on every phone, but there is always a "restore" or "refresh" option somewhere within the data menu. You do not have to manually program anything here.

Upvote 0
correct there however my initial point to this is that simply entering in ##DATA# and your MSL does not do anything.. you have to go into the menu and change some values.

We never manually enter values while doing a data refresh. There is always a restore or refresh option somewhere, every phone is different. Some just do it immediately upon entering the MSL and the phone will reboot. I think the Samsung Moment might be one of them.

Upvote 0
The "MSL" menu would actually be ##(MSL)# and it will bring up a view and edit mode as well where you can program the phone number and MSID for manual provisioning. This is an EPST (Equipment Performance Support Tool) menu as well.

On some phones ##DATA# will bring up a prompt requesting the MSL and upon entering it the phone will immediately reboot refreshing the data tables and that is actually all you have to do.

The first part is correct, there is an EPST for MDN (your phone number) and MSID when dialing ##msl_number#

The second part concerning the Evo's changeable parameters under ##data# is documented here in each thread that we're concerned with and is understood in full.

MSID is common to both.

If you'd like to learn more, perhaps a review of the threads we call out in our forum guide would be helpful to your understanding of the 3vo.

We also document use of ##786# and ##diag#.

Upvote 0
I am seriously lost as to the point being discussed here.

EVOlution3 - please help me understand.

Are you asking us about reprovisioning the phone, how to adjust values in the EPST menu, or something else?

My question was what the difference between the "Update Profile" setting does in the phone's normal settings vs doing a refresh through the ##DATA# menu is.

I have solved many issues with data connectivity by refreshing customer's phone though the ##DATA# menu, but "Update Profile" in the normal settings rarely does anything for a customer's problem.

I wanted to know what is actually being done differently between the two. I'm guessing that from ##DATA# the phone erases and restores the entire data profile whereas under "Update Profile" it only updates the existing profile.

Upvote 0
agreed the focus has been lost here. this is a EVO forum speaking on EVO and in particular the 3D. as far as the 3D is concerned, entering JUST the MSL does nothing for the evo 3D handset. couldn't see the forest for the trees.

You're absolutely right. On the EVO 3D after you enter the MSL you have to select data profile, then hit the menu key, then hit restore. This restore option is in all Sprint Androids, some you don't have to go through all the steps you have to on the 3D. This is not my point or my question.

What I want to know is what this is actually doing to the phones and what is different about it then just a normal "Update Profile."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones