1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint] Recovery/root question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hittinboost, Sep 22, 2014.

1. hittinboost

hittinboost Lurker

Ok so I want to do a root (Towelroot), CWM, and a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod. But I have a few questions first. I've read several threads and it seems like mixed responses on how to achieve this.

1. In what order should I do this? Recovery first, then do a NANDROID backup, then root and install custom ROM? Or should I root first, then recovery, then ROM?

2. Should I flash the recovery with Odin or Heimdall? Does it matter?

3. I don't have an external SD, so after I do a NANDROID backup I'm assuming it'll save to internal SD. Should I leave that backup on there or move it to my PC? If I move it to my PC how can I access it in recovery mode should I ever restore back to it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. xaelith

xaelith Android Enthusiast

Root first, then flash your preferred custom recovery, make a backup (so if worse comes to worst, you can get your phone back) then flash the ROM.

It depends on your computer's OS. If you're using Windows, use Odin. If you're using Linux, use Heimdall. Quick note, make sure to turn on USB debugging in the Developer options before this step (of its not turned on already), or the flash may not work properly, if at all.

The choice to leave it or move it (or better yet, copy it) is up to you. If you leave it, the backup is there for you if you happen to decide for whatever reason the ROM you flashed isn't what you were looking for. The downside is, it WILL take up space on your device, and if the phone gets ruined or bricked, the backup is lost. On the other hand, moving it to the PC ensures the nandroid is always available, should anything happen to your current handset, and frees up the space the backup would otherwise occupy (just make sure to retain the file structure). If the device gets ruined to the point it just won't turn on no matter what, you can root and add the same custom recovery to a new device, then restore the backup on the new phone, and minus a few days, it's as if nothing ever happened (just be aware that using the nandroid requires that it be present on the phone, though - as far as I know, no custom recovery will let you restore a backup directly from a computer). Copying, meanwhile, gives you the best of both worlds: the backup is there at a moment's notice, and should anything nasty happen to your precious, the copy can be pulled from the PC to the replacement, then a restore later, and you're back in business.

Hope this helps. :)

dustwun77 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews