1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Sprint Rep Said They Can Remove Gingerbread If I Take My Phone To The Sprint Store

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vailpass, Jun 9, 2011.

1. vailpass

vailpass Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Gettin' My Mind Right
    I just called Sprint to ask about the issues I've been having since Ginger came out. This is the 2nd time I've called. This time they told me if I wanted to take the phone into a Sprint store they would remove Ginger from my phone.

Is this possible? I thought you couldn't take Ginger off once you dl'ed??

Advertisement

2. mak916

mak916 Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Male
    Sacramento, CA.
    And why would you want to take Gingerbread off?

I think, if memory serves me right, people wanted to take 2.2 off when it first came out also. I don't think it is possible, but who knows. If you are having problems just wait, a fix will come out. Remember not too devices have 2.3, so it will take some time for everything to update.

3. Jceinc

Jceinc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    subscribed

4. vailpass

None

Apr 18, 2011
    Gettin' My Mind Right
    I don't necessarily want to remove Ginger. I was calling to see if a fix for the false voicemail alerts had been finalized.
    The tech said it hadn't but that if I was unhappy I could go in to a Sprint store and have Ginger removed. I've been with Sprint for over 10 years, have 4 phones on my account so they always do their best to be helpful which is what I think they were doing here.

My point is not that I don't want Ginger. My point is I thought an OS upgrade couldn't be removed once installed?

5. mak916

mak916 Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Male
    Sacramento, CA.
    I don't know if Sprint can do that or not. But you can always root your phone and put a different Rom on it. But I would just wait it out. I'm sure a fix is on the way. HTC has been good about this type of thing.

6. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    ive seen a ton of people having issues with the new GB update.... the false vm notifs is a new one to me, but not shocking. The vast majority of complaints ive seen are in regards to the phone not sleeping and the system not autokilling stuff. +1 to the rooting suggestion so you can avoid the issues altogether, but if you are averse to rooting, going to the store to re-flash 2.2 for now till they get the bugs worked out wouldnt be a bad idea as to avoid the issues youre having. I run CM7, and have been on one version of it or another for about 6 mos, and LOVE IT!! combine that with the tiamat kernel, and its a winner for most, but i digress. I say, do what you need to do to get your device to a useable level that youre comfortable with, and if that involves reverting to stock 2.2 via the sprint store reps, so be it. Good luck, and Godspeed sir :)

7. vailpass

None

Apr 18, 2011
    Gettin' My Mind Right
    @youdoofus & mak916,

Thanks to you both. I want to root but now that I have stock ginger I believe I need to wait until a new exploit is found, correct?

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    That is correct. I will also chime in that its been rumored in the past that sprint has told people this...in the past it was not true...they cant roll the phone back...mthe 2.2 ruu has an older hboot version and wont take. The only way it wouldbwork is if they had an ruu of 2.2 and the new hboot. They can however factory reset your phone

lesawag likes this.
Tags: