• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Rooting 4.2.1

I would recommend using JB Sorcery. By far it is the best ROM I have used in years, ever since some old Sense 2 ROMs for the original Evo. It stable and has a good bit of customization.

I looked thru' their site, and must admit that I didn't find what I was looking for - namely, what exactly are the features that it offers that are different than the stock ROM.

For example, I want to know if it offers Bluetooth MAP profile, and T9 smart dialing, etc, and want to see what the UI looks like, how the transitions look in the current version etc. (and what version of Android is it based on?)

What am I missing? (or do I have to install it to see what's different?)

Upvote 0
What's different than stock? Good lord. Everything! Flash it!

Customize nav bar, battery icon, clock, notification pull down, more lock screen options than stock 4.2. You can basically customize anything. Just flash it and you'll see why we're raving.

Thanks. I guess the general consensus is "No, there is no documentation out there that will outline what new features are offered. You have to flash it to find out". As a developer myself (non-android), I find that odd, but I guess everybody works differently. Personally, I like to know a little more about what I'm flashing onto my phone, before I flash it - but that's just me :)

I will spend some more time going thru' reviews/comments to see if this ROM offers the specific features that I want - like BT MAP profile, T9 smart dialing, etc.

I'm ok with stock 4.2, except for the few features that I miss that can't be added using apps (like BT MAP profile, WiFi tether, controlling individual app's permissions). Battery icon, clock, custom launcher etc - I have those the way I want on stock 4.2 using apps.

Debating between this ROM and CM10.1 (sounds like CM 10.1 has BT MAP profile - unfortunately for me, they don't seem to offer any list of features offered by that ROM either).

Anyway, thanks for the response. I'll probably search a little more ;)

Upvote 0
That is true, thanks :)
I'll verify my backups, and try to get it done hopefully this weekend or the next.

Edit: cr@p - just read on jbsourcery's site (and CM site) - bluetooth issue is a known bug with Android 4.2... so the issue is present on this ROM too :( Guess I'm not installing a custom ROM at the moment (since bluetooth was the biggest issue for me with stock) :(

Waaaaaaaaaah :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones