• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint S4 on boost mobile?

History shows that Boost will not release the S4 until after the S5 is out, Boost phones stay a little over a year old.

You should be able to flash a Sprint S4 over to Boost ... but ...

You will need a Boost donor phone for the MEID and if your Boost donor phone is not LTE compatible the newly flashed S4 will not run LTE. This makes the flashing process all but cost prohibitive.

The silly part is other Prepaid has the S4 for $550. http://phandroid.com/2013/07/08/metropcs-samsung-galaxy-s4/

edit: used wrong acronym

Upvote 0
Samsung phones use this wonderful tool called Odin. If you get a MetroPCS phone and use Odin on it using the files from a Sprint device then you'll effectively flash the device over to Sprint. It'll act just like a Sprint device. Other than the MEID etc. If you flash it over to Boost using the usual suspects then you'll have a phone that think's its on Sprint but using Boost and was originally a Metro phone.

I've done this on Sprint Siis. Flash it to Boost and then put Boost firmware on it using Odin. The phone thinks its a Boost phone and everything works "out of the box". Everything except 4g which I have no way to test even if it did work.

The Sii, I've done myself. So it can be done. About the S4, I'm not so sure since I haven't got a device to try it on and so it is pure theory. Good luck.

[Mod Note: more than luck is needed; as noted a few posts below the MetroPCS S4 is NOT CDMA therefore flashing a CDMA-based firmware (such as that of the Sprint S4) will likely render your device in-op]

Upvote 0
Mod Note: By following these instructions, you are confirming that:

1) You legally own the device being flashed and the donor device.
2) Both devices have clean MEIDs (meaning the service provider has not cancelled service to the phone for any other reason than customer request).
3) You will transfer the sticker from one device to the other to ensure that the flashed device has the correct MEID. A heat gun or hair dryer will make this easy.
4) You will not sell your donor phone.

Doing anything other than the four criteria above is illegal and any discussion about it will be removed.

Upvote 0
Samsung phones use this wonderful tool called Odin. If you get a MetroPCS phone and use Odin on it using the files from a Sprint device then you'll effectively flash the device over to Sprint. It'll act just like a Sprint device. Other than the MEID etc. If you flash it over to Boost using the usual suspects then you'll have a phone that think's its on Sprint but using Boost and was originally a Metro phone.

I've done this on Sprint Siis. Flash it to Boost and then put Boost firmware on it using Odin. The phone thinks its a Boost phone and everything works "out of the box". Everything except 4g which I have no way to test even if it did work.

The Sii, I've done myself. So it can be done. About the S4, I'm not so sure since I haven't got a device to try it on and so it is pure theory. Good luck.

The metro S4 this method will NOT work. The metro S4 is not a CDMA device.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
What they should do is, you pay full price for the phone whether you are Sprint, Boost or a Virgin customer but if you sign a two year contract then you get a partial refund on the cost of the phone (i.e. you become a Sprint post-paid customer). This way you have access to the most current phones regardless of which variant of Sprint is your provider.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones