• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint (Sacramento) says you will no longer get 4G with this phone...

heyjoojoo

Jan 23, 2010
I went into a Sprint store to ask them if they were going to do something about their 4G coverage. And the rep told me that because their modifying their towers that with this Galaxy S2, that I will eventually get no 4G because of this "modification". Is this correct???

I went into a Sprint store to ask them if they were going to do something about their 4G coverage. And the rep told me that because their modifying their towers that with this Galaxy S2, that I will eventually get no 4G because of this "modification". Is this correct???

Well, I guess that's technically true ... just a question of how long "eventually" is? The "modification" would be the switch from WiMax to LTE. The E4GT will only work with WiMax, so you'll get 4G as long as that's available ... but it won't work with the new LTE coverage.

I don't believe they're disabling WiMax for quite a while (like a few years), but they're not adding any new coverage. They're trying to build out the LTE network as fast as possible.

Upvote 0
Well, I guess that's technically true ... just a question of how long "eventually" is? The "modification" would be the switch from WiMax to LTE. The E4GT will only work with WiMax, so you'll get 4G as long as that's available ... but it won't work with the new LTE coverage.

I don't believe they're disabling WiMax for quite a while (like a few years), but they're not adding any new coverage. They're trying to build out the LTE network as fast as possible.

The last time I saw, the estimation for ending WiMax is late 2013 or early 2014

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones