1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Sprint, Samsung Galaxy S II, and ICS..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by robdotexe, Jul 22, 2012.

1. robdotexe

robdotexe Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    Title explains my situation.
    Solution? I need to revert back to Gingerbread because ICS is sucking the life out of my battery. It cannot last a day without needing to be constantly charged.

Could I be directed towards a nandroid backup of stock for Sprint's SGSII?

Much appreciation for taking the time to read my post.
    -Rob

Advertisement

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    If the device is rooted you should just be able to flash a stock gb rom

3. robdotexe

robdotexe Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    It's not rooted and where can I find a stock Gingerbread ROM?

4. s_special

s_special Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    socal
    have you tried a factory data reset? i did it and you can too

5. BigHAZE

BigHAZE Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Yes...after the MANUAL ICS upgrade..battery life was HORRIBLE. I too did a factory reset (after backing up my apps via KIES) and battery life is MUCH MUCH better. With Gingerbread...leaving the phone all day with average use..I had about 65% left going home. With ICS update..AT FIRST...the same day of use left me with about 37% going home. SUXXORED. I did the factory reset...and now when I go home with ICS, the phone is at about 58%. Much improved. Highly recommend.

geeingu likes this.
  6. robdotexe

robdotexe Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    Well I did a factory reset via the settings menu and for some reason it has the appearance of Gingerbread again, but when I check in the about menu it says it's FF18. Odd shit lol but I'm fine on battery now.

7. wkufan

wkufan Newbie
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    It has the appearance of Gingerbread because it is the SAMSUNG THEME. Click on Sprint ID, and choose MY ID and you will have the normal ICS Theme.

8. LeslieS

LeslieS Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Medical Insurance Field
    Sparks, Nevada
    Anyone know how to bring up the kyepad while in voicemail? I have a voice message and need to press 1!! :thinking:

Thanx

9. Lateck

Lateck Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Arizona, U.S.A.
    Your lucky, I too did the reset and only got the fun to reload all of my stuff.... Same battery drain.

Lateck,

10. JaniceK

JaniceK Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    What would 1 do on a voicemail?

11. LeslieS

LeslieS Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Medical Insurance Field
    Sparks, Nevada
    The voicemail is from my mail-in pharmacy and the message says to press 1 to hear the message. Well, I can't press 1 cause I don't see an option for the keypad
    :mad:

12. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    Group Sales Associate/Front Desk Clerk
    Washington (state)
    Call your VM form your phone instead using the VVM app. Just dial your own phone number from your phone and you will get your VM with a dialer option.

13. LeslieS

LeslieS Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Medical Insurance Field
    Sparks, Nevada

DUH! I didn't even think about that! Thanx. Not sure if I just got lucky or what, but while the voicemail was 'open' I went to the 'phone', opened the keypad, pressed 1, and that worked too. But your suggestion would be much easier.

Thank you
    :p

14. ngwagoner

ngwagoner Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Immediately after the upgrade I had the Swype issue and the tremendously REDUCED battery life: discharging, with MINIMAL use, after only half a day!
    After much research, I went to the Sprint store where they did a factory reset/reinstall.
    After that, my battery life increased to 8 to 9 hours with minimal usage - a far cry from the pre-upgrade behavior of nearly 2 days with quite a bit of usage. My Swype issue was addressed successfully.
    About a week later, all of a sudden I started having an email issue: I can receive, but NOT send. It hangs for quite awhile, then finally says 'connection error' and gives a notification of 'Sending Failed'. The email sits in my outbox forever. I say 'all of a sudden', because I just happened to send one email that sent successfully, and several minutes later - sent another - but that never happened - and have been unable to send any since then. I have cleared cache & data - rebooted - disabled the Email app - rebooted - deleted and re-setup my email accounts multiple times, etc, etc.
    Also had another issue arise on the same day as the email issue: sent a text message that never transmitted - then 6 days later the recipient texted me, saying they just received that message!
    I am at a loss as to what to do. Needless to say, I am not happy. Just got this phone, my first smartphone, on May 22nd. Loved it! Now... many dollars later and much wasted time - I hate it. Having already been thru the factory reset and other actions described, I feel helpless. Any ideas????

15. LeslieS

LeslieS Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Medical Insurance Field
    Sparks, Nevada
    I totally agree with you about the battery life. I considered doing a reset but don't think I will after reading your experience.This new 'update/upgrade' (whatever it's called) is terrible. Most of the day all I do is read emails, and don't even really read a lot, just look at who they are from, I may send 2-3 texts and I need to charge the phone when I get home from work. It seems emails don't always come through (when I know there should be one but there isn't) and I hvae to do a restart to get them to download. Whoever comes up with these upgrade certainly does not bother to test them for themselves before releasing them. Or if they do, they must not care how the phone works afterwards.
    :mad:

16. HauntedDollie

HauntedDollie Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2012

Same for me...

17. yscty

yscty Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2012
    If your not rooted and you want to go back to the GB platform just take your phone to your local Corporate Sprint store and they can put it back on for you, i did this but unfortunately still had issues so my phone was replaced....

HauntedDollie likes this.