• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Service in Denver, CO

buff12db

Dec 19, 2009
Could anyone tell me about their experience with Sprint in Denver, CO. I'm thinking of switching over to Sprint from Verizon to save about $30/month. But if the Sprint network is no good, I'm not going to make the switch.
I'm looking to know how the voice service is (dropped calls/coverage) and how the data network is (do you get 3G coverage) in Denver, the surrounding city areas, and the mountains. For me coverage in the mountains is very important because I'm up there all the time.
Also, can anyone tell me about tethering with Spring?

Thanks!

I would look at the Sprint coverage map in the Colorado state region and go from there. Perhaps ask some friends of yours if they use Sprint as their carrier too.

I've checked the maps, and a lot of the state is in roaming. I'm wondering if while roaming whether or not you can still get 3G coverage. A map also doesn't tell you how many dropped calls you'll get while covered by Sprint's network.
I don't have any friends on Sprint. Everyone is on Verizon.

Upvote 0
I've got no complaints about the service all along the front range... Anywhere from Ft. Collins to the Springs it's good. It can get spotty up in the foothills, but most major roads up in the mountains have coverage. I've had Sprint Service out here for 14 years and have never considered changing for better coverage. Of course, the make and model of the phone have as much to do with it as the carrier. Your mileage may vary.

Craig

Upvote 0
I've checked the maps, and a lot of the state is in roaming. I'm wondering if while roaming whether or not you can still get 3G coverage. A map also doesn't tell you how many dropped calls you'll get while covered by Sprint's network.
I don't have any friends on Sprint. Everyone is on Verizon.

Well, I for one would not want to sit on roaming even if it were to save a couple bucks. Perhaps try a Google search for Sprint network in Colorado?

Upvote 0
I live in Fort Collins, Colorado. I have been with Verizon for 11 years. I switched carriers to get the Hero. I was nervous about the switch. To my surprise Sprint is far better. My dead zones have disappeared and never had a dropped call. Sprint in Colorado is far better coverage. My Wife commutes to the far Northwest corner of Colorado "Sterling" and she loves the new reliable sprint service. Big V has better overall coverage, but Colorado belongs to Sprint. My dead spots are gone forever. The only down side is the ring delay. I can live with that.

Jack

Upvote 0
I have Sprint and am thrilled with the service. I live in Denver and travel to the mountains all the time with no problems. I get better coverage then I did with ATT or Tmobile. Roaming is not an issue with Sprint unless you roam more then 50% of the month, but there are no fees they just threaten to cancel you but never actually do it. (Had it happen on a long trip back east)

Upvote 0
I've never had an issue in Denver when I've visited, and I can also attest that at least Vail has Sprint towers all over the mountain, so coverage while you're skiing/boarding there is basically like being in a large metro area. Not sure about the other mountains, but hey, I could just hit Vail for the rest of my life, and I'd probably be content. :)

Upvote 0
Same here, never a dropped call. I like to brag when everyone else is without a signal and I still have service. I had sprint about 8 years ago and hated the shotty coverage and frequent dropped calls. We went to t-mo which was better but still not great, went to nextel about 4 years ago, way better than t-mo, then came full circle 3 years ago back to sprint, and the coverage has substantially improved! Havent have any issues since, dont lose service in castle rock between springs and denver either.

Upvote 0
new here and a little late in responding, but i found this through a search and wanted to answer for future lookers.

we moved to vail from texas a few years ago with sprint service and were amazed at the great reception we had. i just recently got the epic phone and mentioned at the sprint store in denver that we had great reception because i was told one of the brass at sprint apparently has a home up here and was the reason behind it. the salesmen said he sold to one of the brass's daughters and learned that because sprint has such a prominent deal with vail resorts and the olympic team, they have a tower higher up on the mountain instead of lower in the village. a lot of the lanyards they give away have sprint logos and they are major sponsors of the olympic ski team, so it would stand to reason they are excellent carriers in this area.

whether or not it's all true is hearsay, but it makes sense because i have reception all the way in blue sky with great bar-age.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones