• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint SGS2 named Samsung Within without QWERTY?

Even if it doesn't have a QWERTY, I'll still be getting the Within instead of the EVO 3D. Super AMOLED Plus is a much better display, and it actually is crisper than the current WVGA display due to it packing 12 subpixels into a pixel instead of 8. HTC's cameras also tend to be of poorer quality than Samsung's. The one thing Sprint should put on these new phones is SVDO. Verizon has SVDO now.

Upvote 0
Even if it doesn't have a QWERTY, I'll still be getting the Within instead of the EVO 3D. Super AMOLED Plus is a much better display, and it actually is crisper than the current WVGA display due to it packing 12 subpixels into a pixel instead of 8. HTC's cameras also tend to be of poorer quality than Samsung's. The one thing Sprint should put on these new phones is SVDO. Verizon has SVDO now.

But isn't the SGS2 800x400 and EVO3D qHD (960x540)? If so, I think that would tip the crispness back in the EVO3D's favor -- real pixels are better than subpixels, particularly near the limits....

(Not saying the SGS2 isn't a worthy phone, just pointing out a possible difference.)

Upvote 0
If I'm understanding Super AMOLED correctly, a super amoled display at a lower resolution may very well still blow a higher resolution non super amoled screen out of the water.

http://india.phonerpt.com/en/super-amoled-explained/

Not necessarily, the original Super Amoled was good for more vibrant color and better contrast, but the text was noticeably crappy because of the Pentile Matrix RGBG screen they were using. Now on the Plus they got rid of that and put the standard RGB so the text looks crisper and the colors are still amazing, but not as crisp as a qHD display.

So its either:

SA+ for color, contrast, and less power consumption

qHD for crisper text and pictures

Upvote 0
But isn't the SGS2 800x400 and EVO3D qHD (960x540)? If so, I think that would tip the crispness back in the EVO3D's favor -- real pixels are better than subpixels, particularly near the limits....

(Not saying the SGS2 isn't a worthy phone, just pointing out a possible difference.)

I never said that the SGS2's display will be more crisp than the EVO 3D. All I said was that the Super AMOLED Plus display will be an improvement over our current Super AMOLED WVGA (which is 800x480, btw). The use of a standard LCD at qHD resolution is not enough to sway me away from the bright, colorful display on the SGS2.

Upvote 0
I never said that the SGS2's display will be more crisp than the EVO 3D. All I said was that the Super AMOLED Plus display will be an improvement over our current Super AMOLED WVGA (which is 800x480, btw). The use of a standard LCD at qHD resolution is not enough to sway me away from the bright, colorful display on the SGS2.

Hope I didn't offend -- not my intention. You said you'd get the Within instead of the EVO3D because of the better display, and then discussed the crispness factor. I'm now guessing you only meant that only in relation to their previous AMOLED variants, but at the time it sounded like a comparison to the EVO3D's, so I thought the resolution differences were pertinent to mention.

In any case, I can't wait to see these darn things in person -- will make deciding much easier!

Upvote 0
Of course its 4G. You think their first Glaxay S phone (Epic) would be 4G but the 2nd one would be 3G?

Oh, I didn't know that the Epic was the Galaxy S.

Another Sprint 4G phone with most users not having 4G in their area.

I hate the fact that 4G is being jammed down our throats. They charge an extra $10 a month ($240 a year) for a service that most people can't even use. 4G isn't coming to where I live for at least another 2-3 years... lame.

Upvote 0
$10 X 12 months = $240??? Or do we have 24 months in a year now :D. Also supposedly (quote on quote) the extra $10 isn't for 4G, just saying.

When my wife was sold her Epic, the sales people said the $10 went toward the 4G that was coming soon to our zip code. Six months later when I bought my Epic, they said it was a premium data charge. Got to find some excuse why they charge an extra fee when they keep failing at coming through on their "4G is coming next season".

I would have went with Verizon but their customer service was worse than AOL's back in the dialup days.

Upvote 0
$10 X 12 months = $240??? Or do we have 24 months in a year now :D. Also supposedly (quote on quote) the extra $10 isn't for 4G, just saying.

Ooops, I meant to say $10 a month for 2 years is $240.

But I know that the extra fee isn't technically for 4G, its for "Premium" data... which is exactly the same as regular data. Not unless Android 4g phones are rich snobs that are stuck up and won't operate on anything less than premium data.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No slider. They are already selling cases for this phone, and it is the same case for Within, Attain, and Function. Sounds to me like Samsung kept all three phones physically identical this time around. (sources think the t-mobile version will be smaller, which is why it's not listed for these cases)

Here's one I pulled up real quick.

Amazon.com: TPU-Cases High Gloss Black Flexible TPU Skin Cover Phone Case for Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9100) / Samsung Attain / Samsung Within / Samsung Function [TPU-Cases Retail Packaging]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones