• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[sprint] Sprint Early Upgrade

crow11ad

Android Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2009
Sorry if this is in te wrong spot but here is my questions. I am trying to see how the early upgrade thing works. My upgrade is Sept 1, but Sprint moved it to June 18th. I have only spoken to retentions only. What do I say to them about an early upgrade? Do I not need to speak to retentions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the best number to call to get this done?

I called the other night and was told I can upgrade 2 weeks early no more. I am due on June 1st but since the EVO may come out on May 18th I called to see if I could upgrade early and they said yes 2 weeks which is the 18th. My one friend has to pay 165 to upgrade early but they said once June comes around it may go down in price some.

Your friend is only paying $165 extra because he/she is not due for an upgrade. Essentially, they are buying out the remainder of their contract while acquiring a new device and contract at the subsidized pricing. It's pretty awesome that carriers are offering features like this now.

Upvote 0
I know I thought it was pretty cool! He has till like June of 2013 but they said once it gets closer to June it may go down 20 bucks or so that he has to just call back and see. But he has to call ahead of time tell them he wants to do it and they bill it to your account I think they told me. That way when the phone comes out it will show an upgrade is due. Cause we always buy from Sprint and they would bill the phone to your account which they don't do anymore but were saving 50 bucks from Best Buy for joining some phone freedom thing. So I'm going there Monday to preorder for us both.

Your friend is only paying $165 extra because he/she is not due for an upgrade. Essentially, they are buying out the remainder of their contract while acquiring a new device and contract at the subsidized pricing. It's pretty awesome that carriers are offering features like this now.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I know I thought it was pretty cool! He has till like June of 2013 but they said once it gets closer to June it may go down 20 bucks or so that he has to just call back and see. But he has to call ahead of time tell them he wants to do it and they bill it to your account I think they told me. That way when the phone comes out it will show an upgrade is due. Cause we always buy from Sprint and they would bill the phone to your account which they don't do anymore but were saving 50 bucks from Best Buy for joining some phone freedom thing. So I'm going there Monday to preorder for us both.

Yeah, if I am not mistaken - the amount decreases at $10 intervals on a monthly basis.

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
Who do you call at Sprint to buy out of your contract so you can upgrade? I need to do this for my second line. If this works out, I might do this every year. It's cheaper than paying full price for a phone.

Account services. Try these numbers 1 (877) 775-4886, 1 (877) 661-3933, and 1 (866) 235-1185. They may ask for the reason for your call. Tell them you are calling about the upgrade program and wanted to know how it works. If you agree to the amount, they will bill your account and usually with in a few hours it works. Then text upgrade to 1311. Hopes this helps.

Now the question is what time Monday can we pre order?

Upvote 0
I'm off Monday going to Best Buy as soon as I get up. I hope there doing it there.

Account services. Try these numbers 1 (877) 775-4886, 1 (877) 661-3933, and 1 (866) 235-1185. They may ask for the reason for your call. Tell them you are calling about the upgrade program and wanted to know how it works. If you agree to the amount, they will bill your account and usually with in a few hours it works. Then text upgrade to 1311. Hopes this helps.

Now the question is what time Monday can we pre order?

Upvote 0
I originally had the EVO 4g and when Sprint secretly took away 1 year full upgrades I hadto fight for mine and i got it with 1 year left on my original contract well they made me sign a new 2years totalling 3years for the EVO 3d on day 1 and now the lack of ICS, and Wimax being phased out finally for LTE I'm dying for the new LTE EVO 4g but I'm not even eligible for an upgrade 1year half price until April 2013 any ideas on how to ease the price of the EVO 4g LTE off contract? Or get it sooner than April 2013 cause by then who knows what phones will be out but I don't wanna be stuck with a forgotten about EVO 3d :( :( :( :( help pleaseee!!!!! I can't afford to pay full price off contract for the new EVO 4g LTE :( :( il sell my EVO 3d but Idk what store would benefit me the most to sell to and what stores are buying them and will allow me to upgrade? Sprint-best buy-radio shack any ideas!?!?

Upvote 0
I originally had the EVO 4g and when Sprint secretly took away 1 year full upgrades I hadto fight for mine and i got it with 1 year left on my original contract well they made me sign a new 2years totalling 3years for the EVO 3d on day 1 and now the lack of ICS, and Wimax being phased out finally for LTE I'm dying for the new LTE EVO 4g but I'm not even eligible for an upgrade 1year half price until April 2013 any ideas on how to ease the price of the EVO 4g LTE off contract? Or get it sooner than April 2013 cause by then who knows what phones will be out but I don't wanna be stuck with a forgotten about EVO 3d :( :( :( :( help pleaseee!!!!! I can't afford to pay full price off contract for the new EVO 4g LTE :( :( il sell my EVO 3d but Idk what store would benefit me the most to sell to and what stores are buying them and will allow me to upgrade? Sprint-best buy-radio shack any ideas!?!?

Ask Sprint if you can "buy-out" your contract... others have said it costs about 165. This renews your upgrade. Then buy the EVO LTE for 200. That puts at 365 for the new EVO. Then sell you EVO 3D on cragslist, or somewhere like that. You should make out with an EVO LTE for around 200 or less all said and done. Cant beat that.

Upvote 0
Well guys I'm heading to Sprint now! Thanks for your help below I copied and pasted my e mail and sprints reply about upgrading early and well I believe I might be able to buy out my contract and upgrade early let's hope shall we!! Il let you know asap driving to Sprint now! EVO 3g LTE here I come hopefully !!!!! 2year buyout hopefully and new contract and new phone soon hopefully here is the email I sent and sprints reply!!! Good luck to others in the same position as me!!

===

Here is an e-mail reply from Sprint regarding my particular account.

Dear Sprint Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding the handset upgrade.

Sprint will launch LTE market by market.The launch of these major markets marks the next step in the company’s overall network strategy, also known as Network Vision. The changes are expected to provide Sprint customers with ultra-fast data speeds, improved 3G voice and data quality, and stronger in-building signal penetration providing a more valuable wireless experience.

When we announced the Network Vision program, we described it as a 3-5 year deployment program. Because of the compelling benefits, we are targeting a three-year completion of the entire program (end of 2013). At this point, Phase 1 will include many major metropolitan areas around the country. For example, in 2012, Sprint expects to cover 123 million people with Network Vision and 4G LTE service; by 2013, 250M people should be covered. Future cities have not been announced yet, but stay tuned for more information.

We plan to launch CDMA/LTE devices midyear 2Q of 2012 with up to 15 devices expected in 2012 - including phones, tablets and mobile broadband data cards.

Regarding the early upgrade:

Sprint is trialing an Upgrade Now program for a limited time to select customers in certain markets. The trial program lets qualifying customers upgrade their device early by paying a fee. Besides being able to purchase a new device at the lowest promotional price available, a new two-year contract is required and the standard $36 upgrade fee also applies.

Great news! I checked and you’re in a trial market. Since participation is limited, please go to one of the following Sprint stores near you to see if you further qualify to participate in the program. The Sprint stores near you:

4005 Buffalo Rd Erie, PA 16510 Phone number: (814) 899-5130

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be of assistance.

Sincerely, Agnes G. Sprint

===

EDIT: Okay guys well i just went to the Sprint store and they were more than willing to help but they told me that account services hadto push my eligible upgrade status to their system for me to be able to do so. So now I haveto call customer service and findout how much it will be for me to buyout my contract and then preorder the new EVO 4g LTE at New contract price so im calling Sprint customer services now and i also replied to that email from the Sprint rep that I posted earlier and told him what the Sprint store had told me waiting for their reply VIA email as we speak!

===

FOLLOW UP: Well guys GREAT NEWS!!!! I called Sprint and they forwarded me over to the upgrade dept..I spoke with a woman about the buy up program and she said to buy out my remaining 2years of my contract it would only be $115 which was definitely LOWER than I would have imagined. So with that being said she billed the $115 to my contract and within 24-48 hours il be eligible for a new 2 year contract upgrade can we SAY EVO 4G LTE HERE I COME!!!!!

EVEN BETTER NEWS SPRINT IS ALSO DOING THE BUYBACK PROGRAM STILL AND I CHECKED FOR THE EVO 3D WE CAN GET $90.00 CREDIT SO MY PLAN IS TO SELL MY EVO 3D TO SPRINT FOR $90.00, AND PAY SPRINT $115 TO BUYOUT MY CONTRACT, AND THEN MAY 7TH PRE ORDER THE EVO 4G LTE !!!!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!!!! ANYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO DO THE SAME DO WHAT I DID AND YOU WILL BE IN LUCK LIKE ME!!!!!

Upvote 0
I just called Sprint for my friend and in April sometime when I called it was 165 to buy up your contract now I'm told it's 115. I asked her twice really it's 115 and she said yes. Then she tells me it go downs 10 bucks a month no wait I think it's 5 like she didn't even know. I was told in April the closer it got to June 1st it would go down cause he's due June 2013 but for it to just be 165 and now 115 I think that's great cause he'll get 110 from BB or more off Craigs List.

But yesterday we were at Churchill Downs race track all day and it said I had signal mobile netowrk was on but internet and facebook nothing would work and I went through 2 batteries in like 6 hours and he said he isn't sure now he wants the new EVO cause of the battery. I am worried to cause I am always changing batteries if I am out for the day which isn't often. At work and home and car it's always plugged in so I'll preorder and get one I think but now he's unsure.

Upvote 0
ben,

best to call the numbers mentioned earlier in this thread, as the cost varies from person to person. it is 10 bux a month until your contract is fulfilled so each month its cheaper.

for example, my upgrade is due june 1. i have the option of pushing the upgrade up 2 weeks (may 18) if i so choose, so in my case there is no buyout price. I still have one more upgrade since i was in the premier program before it went belly up hence why my upgrade is in june. i used my upgrade last june 2011 to get the 3D and now that year is here, to which i will use it to get the LTE for 200.00.

so call retention's/acct services and have them give you your contract buy out price.

OR, if you want to, go to sprint.com and go to the shop section to shot for phones. they will pop up a box and it will say if you have a discount coming or when your contract will be fulfilled (in days) as to when you are eligible for the new customer pricing.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
Last night she told me it was 10 every month then she said no wait I think it's 5 she wasn't sure. But I was told on his number it was 165 a few weeks ago and all of a sudden I was told 115 which is weird. That's not 5 or even 10 bucks a month. But I hope 115 was correct.

ben,

best to call the numbers mentioned earlier in this thread, as the cost varies from person to person. it is 10 bux a month until your contract is fulfilled so each month its cheaper.

Upvote 0
Well tonight at midnight I am pre ordering my new EVO 4g LTE thankfully I got Sprint to allow me to buy out my contract for $115 now my only thing I forgot to ask them was Will that $115 pending charge on my next bill prevent me from upgrading tonight until i pay that cause i had them put that on my next bill so I'd have $200 for the new phone today at midnight? And i also forgot to ask if you can pre order the new EVO 4g LTE right off the website? Cause the only phone I have ever pre ordered was the 3d and I DID that in store and picked it up on release day :( so hopefully that won't prevent me from doing so and hopefully I can pre order the new EVO 4g LTE online!
And i emailed Sprint again asking them about those 2 things yesterday and to this point no reply yet !??!

Upvote 0
Well tonight at midnight I am pre ordering my new EVO 4g LTE thankfully I got Sprint to allow me to buy out my contract for $115 now my only thing I forgot to ask them was Will that $115 pending charge on my next bill prevent me from upgrading tonight until i pay that cause i had them put that on my next bill so I'd have $200 for the new phone today at midnight? And i also forgot to ask if you can pre order the new EVO 4g LTE right off the website? Cause the only phone I have ever pre ordered was the 3d and I DID that in store and picked it up on release day :( so hopefully that won't prevent me from doing so and hopefully I can pre order the new EVO 4g LTE online!
And i emailed Sprint again asking them about those 2 things yesterday and to this point no reply yet !??!

How are you preordering at midnight when the preordering starts at 8 am cst on 5-7-12? Cause if we can pre order at midnight I am so doing it?

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I just called back Sprint for my friend cause last night the girl didn't know what she was talking about. I asked how it went down from 165 to 115 for the buy up your contract deal and she said well it goes down 10 dollars every month than she said 5. Well today I was told the 10 dollars month is for ETF you ETF goes down 10 bucks a month. I was told that the buy up offer was 165 and it is now 115. She said it's a special offer on his account she doesn't know how long it will last it can go away at anytime. So that's not a bad deal for him to do.

Upvote 0
Okay well I was just assuming you could pre order it at midnight on the 7th I wasn't 100% for sure and i didn't even.know if you could pre order it over the internet or if it had to be in store preorder only? Sorry for the confusion

There is a countdown timer at Sprint.com that says when you can pre-order.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones