• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SPRINT Stupid change of corporate discount policy - Worth Leaving?

drexappeal

Extreme Android User
Apr 8, 2010
West LA, CA
What's up my fellow EVO peeps? Hope you all are enjoying your phones.

I need some advice regarding Sprint's new corporate discount policy. According to the new policy, if you have a family plan that is receiving a corporate discount (whatever percentage it is), the discount will no longer apply to the other lines on the family plan (only the primary account).

For some, this might not be a huge amount. For me, it was between $10-15 per month, which basically paid for one of the two $10 premium data fees (EVO and Epic) that got added onto my bill.

I think it was already ridiculous that they added the $10 per month premium data fee (but I was fine paying it because of the EVO), but now to take away $10-15 discount that I was receiving might be worth leaving for me. Verizon has 3% higher discount for the company I work with (which, quite frankly, is extremely important for all the wireless providers).

I've been with Sprint since 99/00 and despite having gone through SO many ups and BIG downs (e.g. they released my original number into a general pool by ACCIDENT while upgrading my phone and also charged me triple on a bill for 1 cell phone), I stuck with them.

This new policy has more significant long term effects for me. Just wanted to get some advice from my fellow EVO members. Do you think that the EVO is worth sticking around for or should I pack my bags and move to another provider that'll likely give me a better deal (like Verizon, which has a higher discount percentage)?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Most people may disagree, but I would never stick with one particular carrier because of a single device (apple fanboys, shut up. lol). I do not carry the EVO, but I carry several devices so I feel my input may be somewhat useful.

After reviewing your situation, I would switch. Now, choosing a device on Verizon could prove to be a lengthy process, but well worth it.

Now, keep one thing in mind. Sprint changed their policy. Verizon/ATT could easily do just the same (with little to no warning). Im sure you are aware of this, just stating my opinion :).

With the LTE rollout plans that Verizon announced yesterday, keep this in mind as well. Only bad thing about this, Verizon can and probably will change pricing (premium, LTE charges, data caps, etc. --all a good possibility).

Anyways. Theres my input :)

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
With the LTE rollout plans that Verizon announced yesterday, keep this in mind as well. Only bad thing about this, Verizon can and probably will change pricing (premium, LTE charges, data caps, etc. --all a good possibility).
Very true. Reliable rumors (Engadget/Gizmodo) are also reporting that Verizon will soon go to cap'd data plan rates like AT&T has already done.

I actually left AT&T to come to Sprint for unlimited data plan options with an Android phone. At least if Sprint does go the cap'd route, hopefully I'll be grandfathered in my current unlimited plan.

Upvote 0
Verizon has the same policy. Sprint just changed their policy to match the other carriers.

If you can find cheaper service on the other carriers, go for it. But for me, Sprint is still the cheapest so really no place to leave to.

^^Correct about Verizon having the same policy.^^

Keep this in mind though, Verizon (at this time) does not have a "premium" data charge. They have the standard smartphone data plan charge of $29.99.

Upvote 0
I just checked my latest bill and we have the Everything Data 1500 family plan for 129.99 and we get a corporate discount of 23% off of that plan. The 2nd line is included so the discount applies to the whole share plan. If I add a line to that share plan the line would cost 9.99 (I think). So you are saying that in the past that extra line would have the 23% (or whatever your discount it) off? So it would be 9.99 - 23% = 7.69?

I think I'm misunderstanding how this new policy works. Can you link to the statement from Spring about the change?

Upvote 0
I just checked my latest bill and we have the Everything Data 1500 family plan for 129.99 and we get a corporate discount of 23% off of that plan. The 2nd line is included so the discount applies to the whole share plan. If I add a line to that share plan the line would cost 9.99 (I think). So you are saying that in the past that extra line would have the 23% (or whatever your discount it) off? So it would be 9.99 - 23% = 7.69?

I think I'm misunderstanding how this new policy works. Can you link to the statement from Spring about the change?

Not sure where it would be on the Sprint website. I was told this verbally because I called in due to my monthly payment being between 10-15 above what I anticipated and the online breakdown didn't really match the total price. I'd say realistically, it's only $10 above (because there were a couple 411 charges and international text messages made, totalling around $5).

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the input thus far, everybody! All of it really did help me evaluate my current situation. I was told, I have until the 16th where I can leave Sprint without sustaining an early termination fee on my contract, so I'm going to take that time to evaluate what I'd be paying on every single provider.

Problem is, if Verizon has the same policy, I'll likely end up paying the same amount which makes this whole situation a moot point. I was under the impression that they still gave discount for an entire family plan, rather than just restricting it to the primary account, but I guess I was wrong about that. The only 2 providers that get decent/strong signal at my house are Verizon and Sprint. ATT & TMobile get absolutely zero signal at my house, so not sure I'd take either of those as an option...but not ruling it out just yet.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the input thus far, everybody! All of it really did help me evaluate my current situation. I was told, I have until the 16th where I can leave Sprint without sustaining an early termination fee on my contract, so I'm going to take that time to evaluate what I'd be paying on every single provider.

Problem is, if Verizon has the same policy, I'll likely end up paying the same amount which makes this whole situation a moot point. I was under the impression that they still gave discount for an entire family plan, rather than just restricting it to the primary account, but I guess I was wrong about that. The only 2 providers that get decent/strong signal at my house are Verizon and Sprint. ATT & TMobile get absolutely zero signal at my house, so not sure I'd take either of those as an option...but not ruling it out just yet.

It actually depends on the type of discount you have. Some discounts do in fact apply to all of the lines on the account. Only way to know, is to verify your discount.

Some corporate discounts have negotiated this with Verizon, so yours may in fact be for the entire family.

Upvote 0
There is another thread about this in the Carriers section

http://androidforums.com/sprint/186...ng-family-share-plans-more-than-2-phones.html

It appears, according to this thread, that the change is for anything after the 2nd line. This wouldn't impact someone like me with only 2 lines since the second line is included in the original share plan. The additional line would be straight 19.99 with no discount.

If you factor in Sprint's current unlimited data versus capped data on other plans I can't see how you are going to get a better deal at other carriers but I haven't run all the numbers.

Upvote 0
I hadn't realized this had happened until I read this thread. Thanks for posting! I, too, have corporate discounts on my bill. This is a total drag since we just added three Evo's to the account which adds $30 a month automatically and now we lose the extra line discounts that total $20 - so we get the pleasure of paying an extra $50 a month!!! UGH!! I just got off the phone with Sprint and sadly they confirmed all and said that there really isn't anything they can do to adjust or offer other discounts. What a bummer!! :mad:

Upvote 0
Verizon has the same policy. Sprint just changed their policy to match the other carriers.

If you can find cheaper service on the other carriers, go for it. But for me, Sprint is still the cheapest so really no place to leave to.

I agree with this ^^

Ill stay with Sprint as long as they have the best prices.. and they do.. by quite a bit in many instances. Plus, I dont have to worry about data caps with Sprint.. a Huge plus. I dont even want to think about what my bill with be on ATT or VZW. In addition, Sprint's network has pretty good coverage.

Upvote 0
It actually depends on the type of discount you have. Some discounts do in fact apply to all of the lines on the account. Only way to know, is to verify your discount.

Some corporate discounts have negotiated this with Verizon, so yours may in fact be for the entire family.

I'll have to check into it. I've got roughly a week to decide.

Upvote 0
I hadn't realized this had happened until I read this thread. Thanks for posting! I, too, have corporate discounts on my bill. This is a total drag since we just added three Evo's to the account which adds $30 a month automatically and now we lose the extra line discounts that total $20 - so we get the pleasure of paying an extra $50 a month!!! UGH!! I just got off the phone with Sprint and sadly they confirmed all and said that there really isn't anything they can do to adjust or offer other discounts. What a bummer!! :mad:

Though they cannot offer discounts they have changed the contract structure...which gives one an out should they choose without repercussion from sprint.

They change the terms mid contract and you don't have to honor your side of the contract...because it isn't what you agreed to in the first place

Upvote 0
There is another thread about this in the Carriers section

http://androidforums.com/sprint/186...ng-family-share-plans-more-than-2-phones.html

It appears, according to this thread, that the change is for anything after the 2nd line. This wouldn't impact someone like me with only 2 lines since the second line is included in the original share plan. The additional line would be straight 19.99 with no discount.

If you factor in Sprint's current unlimited data versus capped data on other plans I can't see how you are going to get a better deal at other carriers but I haven't run all the numbers.

well that is good, i also looked at my bill and it is the same....i agree with a few others that as ridiculous as these plans really are, sprint is still the cheapest but it just stinks that you get nickled and dimed to death...this might signal the end of the landline....one less expense

Upvote 0
Keep the comments coming, everyone. All of them are really helping me in my decision. Right now, I'm leaning towards just staying.

Verizon is the only realistic option, if I want to have cell service at my house, and just doing a temporary breakdown in plan pricing compared to what I currently have with Sprint, it was A LOT more than I expected. That's even breaking out the plan to have one phone with just calling. Right now, I have 1500 minutes (basically land lines and 800 numbers) and the rest of the calls I make are covered either under unlimited mobile to mobile or nights and weekends.

I really appreciate all the input though.

Upvote 0
Keep the comments coming, everyone. All of them are really helping me in my decision. Right now, I'm leaning towards just staying.

Verizon is the only realistic option, if I want to have cell service at my house, and just doing a temporary breakdown in plan pricing compared to what I currently have with Sprint, it was A LOT more than I expected. That's even breaking out the plan to have one phone with just calling. Right now, I have 1500 minutes (basically land lines and 800 numbers) and the rest of the calls I make are covered either under unlimited mobile to mobile or nights and weekends.

I really appreciate all the input though.

verizon's newest addition of data caps is the only reason I have stayed with sprint, though recently they dropped their monthly unlimited call and text rates they still have the data cap/levels . I am in the same boat with all other carriers..no signal.

Upvote 0
verizon's newest addition of data caps is the only reason I have stayed with sprint, though recently they dropped their monthly unlimited call and text rates they still have the data cap/levels . I am in the same boat with all other carriers..no signal.

Is the data cap just for downloading? I've never really understood how the cap works because I normally just browse from my phone and have emails. Other than that, I rarely download or use it for tethering (only every now and then).

Upvote 0
I am a firm believer in sticking with a company loyally because they provide the best service in comparison. That includes when they change things around to stay with industry trends but continue to keep the best service and products for me. So far, sprint has done this well over and above, so while i am effected by the discount policy change, I'll stay with sprint anyways.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
I am a firm believer in sticking with a company loyally because they provide the best service in comparison. That includes when they change things around to stay with industry trends but continue to keep the best service and products for me. So far, sprint has done this well over and above, so while i am effected by the discount policy change, I'll stay with sprint anyways.

I completely agree ^^

As often as this industry changes, you can be almost certain that if one carrier changes a policy (such as the one we are discussing), that the others will soon follow.

Just look at the past. It will prove this.

I would not switch carriers to save a few bucks. I can see needing to change if you are talking about $50 or more, but nothing less than that IMO. Its just too much of a hassle.

Upvote 0

Yeah, that's pretty much why I've stuck with Sprint over a decade (that and they by far have had the best connectivity at my house).

Right now, moving over to Verizon would mean not taking into consideration whatever they decide to charge when 4G/LTE is available, which I'm assuming there will be additional charges.

Upvote 0
I completely agree ^^

As often as this industry changes, you can be almost certain that if one carrier changes a policy (such as the one we are discussing), that the others will soon follow.

Just look at the past. It will prove this.

I would not switch carriers to save a few bucks. I can see needing to change if you are talking about $50 or more, but nothing less than that IMO. Its just too much of a hassle.

Yeah, that's partly why I'm leaning towards sticking with Sprint. Despite the really bad scenarios I've experienced with them, they've made up for it in form of great loyalty treatment making sure I stay around. Whenever I ask for them, it's rare that they'll tell me they can't hook me up.

In fact, at one point, because service was so in and out at my house, they said that they won't charge me for my Air Rave as long as I stay with Sprint, so I've never paid for that additional signal booster.

Really tough decision, but again, I honestly appreciate the pouring out of advice and input from everybody! All of this information is really great.

Upvote 0
Sprint has 24-48 hours to get back to me via email, after the last conversation I had with some pompous ass kid in the retentions department.

If I don't hear back from them within that timeframe, with a suitable solution, they may just have lost my business along with as MANY people in the corporation I work with that I can convince NOT to go with Sprint.

Unfreakingbeleivable. I thought retentions departments were built to MAINTAIN a good rapport with their customers and make sure that those LOYAL customers DON'T leave. As you can tell, the kid I spoke with did everything BUT try to give me reasons to stay around. In fact, he was borderline pushing me out the door and I was completely calm and patient until I heard the response (in a sarcastic tone), "Okay...so break it down for me then...what is Verizon going to give you that Sprint won't?"...That set me off. As a former Customer Service Manager / QA Supervisor, that type of ISH just doesn't fly with me and if I heard ANY of my reps speaking like that, I'd take them off phone support for a LONG time, until they learn how to develop patience with customers and their different situations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones