• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint tells me they won't sell EVO at full price

jdmlvr07

May 23, 2010
I called the two sprint stores near me and both told me that they are not 100% sure if they will sell EVO at full price the first couple of days. Can anyone give me some information of this. Maybe some stores are and othrrs not? I plan on camping out for this phone so imagine waiting 3 to 4 hours outside and when I go in they tell me I can't even get the phone. Please someone tell me they are going to sell them full price for sure. TIA

I called the two sprint stores near me and both told me that they are not 100% sure if they will sell EVO at full price the first couple of days. Can anyone give me some information of this. Maybe some stores are and othrrs not? I plan on camping out for this phone so imagine waiting 3 to 4 hours outside and when I go in they tell me I can't even get the phone. Please someone tell me they are going to sell them full price for sure. TIA

I brought this up a week ago, and this is exactly what i was afraid of. Another poster mentioned that he had the same experience with the palm pre on release day; he went to 3 sprint stores before finding one that was willing to sell him the phone for full price (one employee even told him that they were out of stock; he then watched the same employee sell a new contract/eligible for upgrade member a palm pre). I think this will vary greatly by store; calling all the sprint stores in your area will probably be your best course of action. I was pretty paranoid about this happening so i went ahead and bought an evo on ebay; there might still be some left at a decent price (525-600 dollars)

I hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
so you recommend just buying one off of ebay?

If you want some peace of mind knowing that you will have one in your hands before/by release day, then i would recommend doing this; i was in the same situation as you and decided to bite the bullet. I love the phone aside from a little bit of light leakage at the bottom below the capacitive buttons, and ive got a weird "faint earpiece" issue that i mentioned in the low call volume thread(havent researched this enough to know if it is a defect or not).

One bit of caution though...there is a small bit of ambiguity with these Google I/O phones on ebay. what i mean by that is that it comes with a free 30 day complimentary service, but some ppl, including me have had problems activating it on their own number/activating on a new line. A few have had success, but sprint now says that these phones cannot be activated on a new/existing line until june 4. Hopefully thats true. Another poster mentioned that these phones may not be allowed to switch numbers at all to possibly "penalize" the fact that so many of these "free" phones were sold on ebay for profit. I kinda doubt this though:D

Sorry for the long post

Upvote 0
I apreciate all the information. Even if you can't connect the phone to your already existing line by june 4th is fine by me anyhow. As long as I can connect after that I would have no problem then. Have you connected your's to your existing line?

No problem, like i said, i was in a similar situation so i definitely empathize with you. I have not switched to an existing line, but thats the first thing i will attempt to do on the morning of june 4th

Upvote 0
I'd suggest calling around and checking. I called a local corporate store, and they said they absolutely would sell the phone off contract at full retail. The non-corp store of course will as well. Obviously, lack of willingness to sell off contract is not a Sprint corporate policy. I wonder if it's a store-by-store manager decision or just a misinformed rep???

I would be pretty pissed if I camped only to be told no....that's just lame.

Upvote 0
I just found a non-corp store that will not only sell the phone off contract @ retail, but they're taking deposits on Monday. $50 guarantees me a phone on the 4th :p

i'm doing the same. The non-corporate stores have much more flexibility in pricing as well. I'm already locked in a contract and not yet eligible for an upgrade, but my guy will knock $75 off the phone for me right off the bat, plus buy my Hero from me for $63.00. $459.99-$138.00 =$321.99. Not too bad.

FYI - keep in mind that non-corp. stores will also likely renew your contract for 2 years (it's how they are able to cut a deal).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones