1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sprint to Host Network Vision Keynote on Tuesday at MWC

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by viber, Feb 14, 2011.

1. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

While this is not as exciting as a new phone, it is good news for Sprint customers as it will result in better coverage for sure.

Sprint to Host Network Vision Keynote on Tuesday at MWC | PhoneNews.com

Advertisement

2. How would it have better coverage? "Vision initiative would allow for the deployment of either WiMax or LTE in the same basestation as well as CDMA and iDEN" And that is an out and out lie. You could not run cdma and iden through a wimax/lte base station. To do so, would require shutting down a few antennas.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Actually I believe you can with these newer cell towers.

Alcatel-Lucent Shrinks Cell Tower - Tech Europe - WSJ

There's no reason why they couldn't fit all in the same housing.

4. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert

I wonder if something like this is involved in the $5 billion in network upgrades Sprint is going to be doing over the next few years... I'm not exactly sure what that involves... maybe this?

5. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert

Carrying iDen's not a solution. They need to go from the Now Network to the One Network.

Vision - ubiquitous, fast Wimax everywhere Sprint has coverage. Now that's a vision!

6. To be honest, if you have lte/wimax on the same tower as 3g, you are wasting spectrum. You really don't need to have 3g. LTE will pass a 3g signal through the tower, but at a much higher spectrum efficiency.

If you want to continue to roll out 3g, you are just wasting money and time.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

I don't disagree with that!

8. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

Evaluating is all they should do at this time, but Sprint would be crazy to turn their back on LTE.

The biggest problem with Wimax is Clear. They don't have the money to continue market penetration, and Sprint doesn't want to dump money into Clear if LTE proves to be tomorrows format of choice.

I'm indifferent. I use Wimax for home internet, and it works great. My next phone will be a Wimax phone as well. I'm not concerned about LTE at this time.

9. Doomstang

Doomstang Android Enthusiast

Sprint IS Clear(wire)...they own 54% of the company. They have already made a huge investment in the company and the technology. LTE could easily be adopted due to the huge similarities between WiMax and LTE.
    My question is if Sprint chose to adopt LTE, would they dissolve WiMax and convert Clear to be LTE based?