• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] What to do with Gnex and Odin?

NaterTots

Android Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2011
CT
Hey Guys,
I just picked up a used Gnex and when I used volume down and power it said it had Odin.
I have no idea what this really means.
I rooted a Nexus S 4G and installed TWRP on it and was able to flash a new Rom onto it.
Do I need to do something special since it has Odin? I belive it just has a rooted stock Rom on it at the moment.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
and I also see where a bunch of Evo 4G users ended up.:D

Naters

So do I need to use ADB to flash a Rom then?

Can I remove it and just use the TWRP or CWM recovery?

I'm a little lost on this.

Yeah, I have an Evo 4G LTE but I was given a Nexus S 4G 6 months ago, that I use as a Wifi device at home, and I realize how great the Google phones are. So I found a sweet deal on Craigslist.:D

I'm becoming a phone junky I think.

Naters

Upvote 0
So do I need to use ADB to flash a Rom then?

Can I remove it and just use the TWRP or CWM recovery?

I'm a little lost on this.

Yeah, I have an Evo 4G LTE but I was given a Nexus S 4G 6 months ago, that I use as a Wifi device at home, and I realize how great the Google phones are. So I found a sweet deal on Craigslist.:D

I'm becoming a phone junky I think.

Naters

Just power off then back on while holding volume up and down, it'll take you to the bootloader. From there use the volume keys to navigate to recovery (it does have a custom recovery, right?). You can flash ROM's the normal way from there.

Reactions: NaterTots
Upvote 0
Ah, Thanks. I didn't know it was all 3 at once.

So the Bootloader is unlocked but it doesn't have a custom recovery. I get the Android with an Exclamation mark.

So I am in a position to install a recovery going by one of the guides and I should be all set.

What is the purpose of Odin exactly? I'm a little confused about it. Is it on my phone since I went to it before?
Thanks again for the help Frenchy!
If i pay for Odin in the market would I be able to flash through that?

Naters

Upvote 0
Well, I kind of cheated. I really need to learn how to do this stuff the right way. I booted up Ubuntu and tried to apply the recovery from there but I couldn't navigate to the DL folder.
So then I went back to Windows and was going to try that route but then remembered that with Goo I could download and apply the Recovery since I was rooted. So that's what I did. And I now have TWRP all set up.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Naters

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones