• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint's $29 hotspot vs Froyo 2.2 native hotspot

My 2cents, I figured sprint would disable the HotSpot/Tethering when Froyo comes out. I went ahead and opted for the $30 hotspot feature. I know that you can root it and PDAnet it.(Maybe on the PDAnet thing, have not tried) I just wanted to see how slick the Hotspot feature was and I can always have it removed at a later date.

I have to say the software for Hotspot feature is uber slick and works as advertised. I found one thing intresting though! I would do a speedtest.net on my EVO and get 3mb (4G)(avg) and do a Speedtest.net on my PC connected through my EVO and get ~6mb. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? I do know my home internet service..WAY History!

BSOD(>-_O<)

Reactions: DJMatthews33
Upvote 0
I have no idea but a buddy of mine has a mobile router on Verizon and he says that speed INCREASES with the amount of devices connected to the router. I have no clue why or what the reason is or even if it is true. But that is what he said so maybe your speed increase has something to do with that phenomenon.

PS...no need for PDAnet....there is a native tethering app on the phone.

Upvote 0
I have had my Hero since Dec 2009.. on 1.5 and now 2.1.
Rooted my Hero on the first weekend. Been using Wifi Tether since then... on all versions of android.

It is easy to use and very convenient.

There is one issue.. This is not a normal wifi network. It is an "ad-hoc" wifi network. Most devices can use this with no issues. But my PS3 will not see the ad-hoc network. So for you gamers out there... The Sprint Hotspot will work with my PS3. So for gamers, free Wifi-tehter via "ad-hoc" network will not work for your PS3; and I venture to guess that the other game boxes will not work too.

Upvote 0
I have had my Hero since Dec 2009.. on 1.5 and now 2.1.
Rooted my Hero on the first weekend. Been using Wifi Tether since then... on all versions of android.

It is easy to use and very convenient.

There is one issue.. This is not a normal wifi network. It is an "ad-hoc" wifi network. Most devices can use this with no issues. But my PS3 will not see the ad-hoc network. So for you gamers out there... The Sprint Hotspot will work with my PS3. So for gamers, free Wifi-tehter via "ad-hoc" network will not work for your PS3; and I venture to guess that the other game boxes will not work too.

Tested it today. $30 hotspot option and i was watching netflix from my ps3 in 3 minutes. No issues. Maybe you have a configuration problem?

Upvote 0
This might have been addressed (probably by PDANet), but on Windows Mobile there is a software called VMwifi which makes your phone act like a WiFi router. You can connect other devices off of it (though I am not sure how many). Is there a similar application for the Android market? Does PDANet do the same thing? I also presume that using such an application would be illegal and not following the terms of the service.

Upvote 0
My question with root is that this is the reason to root phone. But, do you still need to root phone even though there is still no 4G in your area?

There's no 4G here in Orlando yet, as far as I am concerned, why would I bother with rooting now?

And it appears with rooting, it's not yet complete. Some functions are still not working. I need a fully working root ROM for Froyo.

Upvote 0
Tested it today. $30 hotspot option and i was watching netflix from my ps3 in 3 minutes. No issues. Maybe you have a configuration problem?

yes.. the $30 Hotspot is a normal wifi network. so is the sprint Overdrive device.

I was referring to the FREE Wifi-tethering option with ROOT. It is an "ad-hoc" connection. Wanted other to know this...so there are no surprises with your game system.

OK??? :)

Upvote 0
My question with root is that this is the reason to root phone. But, do you still need to root phone even though there is still no 4G in your area?

There's no 4G here in Orlando yet, as far as I am concerned, why would I bother with rooting now?

And it appears with rooting, it's not yet complete. Some functions are still not working. I need a fully working root ROM for Froyo.

not a 4G issue here. has nothing to do with data sharing techniques.

You will have to ROOT to use the FREE Wifi-Tether option. It can share both 3G and 4G data services to other devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones