• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint's Hero or Moment phone?

I for one never had a problem with the notifications bar not being while browsing. The great thing about the hero's functionality is that it has numerous means to multitask. If u are in the browser and are reading texts/emails/streaming pandora, u can just press and hold the home key to bring up ur last 6 used apps. Viola... multitasking is still not a problem... u all have to do the research before u bash what the hero can and cannot do. And as acp pointed out, u can download the dolphin browser

Thats not HERO, functionality, ALL Android phones do that.

Upvote 0
I was in the same inquiry. Read reviews until I was sick of them. Spent a lot of time with a great rep at Best Buy. In the end, the keyboard was more important to me than pretty.

I am very pleased with the Moment. It is sleek and the keyboard is great. Android ROCKs and is so much better than Windows Mobile. You can't go wrong with either one, but if a keyboard is important you'll be glad you got the Moment.

For those choosing between the HTC Hero or the Samsung Moment from Sprint. I have found that from Sprint's website, both will come with Android 1.5 with CDMA support. But as far as I understand, Sprint will be working on an Android 1.6 update soon to come.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Nikhil

Upvote 0
Here is my thoughts on this.

My wife got the Moment and I got the Hero.

We went back today so she can trade her Moment for a Hero. It just had to many issues with it that she is willing to give up the physical keyboard for the Hero. It locked up on her 4 or 5 times. It would re-call the same person over and over, text someone without her wanting to. Most of this would happen while she was talking... mute the phone etc. I know that touch screens can do this wile talking but she is fed up.

I also find that my Hero does more things than the Moment does...that surprised me a little... even without adding apps it would do more things.

It is way to big for me to carry all the time. With Hero I just slide it in my pocket.

I am an Apple guy through and through but I am liking Android a lot. Plus I was not about to switch from Sprint to AT&T plus the extra fee just for the iPhone, so I am happy with my Hero and Android.

Peace

Upvote 0
Does any1 know if the gps problem has been fixed with the cl-14 update? I use nav alot and I like it to be fairly fast and at the least acurate. I want to buy 1 of these phones but the issue with the gps is bothering me. It seem the moment will be a better phone when 2.1 comes out cause of the faster cpu but if the gps says im in russia or something like that i cant deal with that. pls help.thanks

Upvote 0
Does any1 know if the gps problem has been fixed with the cl-14 update? I use nav alot and I like it to be fairly fast and at the least acurate. I want to buy 1 of these phones but the issue with the gps is bothering me. It seem the moment will be a better phone when 2.1 comes out cause of the faster cpu but if the gps says im in russia or something like that i cant deal with that. pls help.thanks

Yes it has been fixed

Upvote 0
sense UI will almost be pointless in 2.1 anyway, facebook is integrated and even if you dont use an alternate homepage, 2.1 default home has 5 screens now, i think i'll be going with the moment, i think currently the hero is the winner but i most certainly will regret that when 2.1 comes out, i also feel the moment has the potential to go further than 2.1 if sprint is so inclined (most likely not) simply because of the faster processor, but that is just my opinion, hero could get more updates too, just looking into the future for my purchase... where will my phone be in a few months when compared to other current android phones at the same level (hero eris mytouch moment, g1..... NOT the SUPER android class phones)

HTC has a history of making excellent phones...how many Samsung phones have been even good let alone great? Zero.

Upvote 0
HTC has a history of making excellent phones...how many Samsung phones have been even good let alone great? Zero.

Eh... The Behold II is a pretty phone but the UI bites pretty epically, so that is one point for Samsung. Now take the Nexus One... a lot of build problems at least from what some of the stories are coming out to be.
Just my two cents, but nevertheless, everyone is competing and going to have some strengths and weaknesses.

Personally I am debating jumping ship from T-Mobile with my "messaging" handset (sidekick, not the B2 beneath my avi). Only android devices I've got to extensively "play" with is the Behold II and the G1. :p

Upvote 0
i completely agree about HTC, i just think currently the only true advantage the hero has is it's sleek design and sense UI overlay, android 2.1 is pretty close to what sense UI does, 2 less homescreens but alternates homes fix that anyway, it has facebook integrated, had adobe, and the moment is currently running better hardware under the hood. sure it will take a LITTLE tweaking to get that SenseUI feel but it is completely doable with 2.1.
and i wouldn't go as far as to say samsung doesn't make good phones, they have had some pretty inovative phones come out of their backyard, first AMOLED display in the states, a 12mp camera phone, a projector phone announced last febuary, even a watch phone, i personaly like their slide out qwerty myself.

Better hardware is not really true. While the processor is technically faster on the Moment, you need to look at the clock speeds of both phones. The Hero runs everything about as fast as the Moment so the whole faster processor argument is a wash.

Upvote 0
The gps chip has always worked...
It was network location that was wrong (non-accurate general area)
*Cough*mogul*cough*
Better hardware is not really true. While the processor is technically faster on the Moment, you need to look at the clock speeds of both phones. The Hero runs everything about as fast as the Moment so the whole faster processor argument is a wash.
Bullshit... Both are Arm11 processors the Hero uses the Old Qualcomm MSM 7201a chip (the line has been dumped by qualcomm inorder to focus on the snapdragon) at 528 mhz on ARMv6 Arch. ... Samsung uses the S3C6410 at 800 mhz and is ARMv6KZ arch. ... Also the hero has to rely on an external graphics chip (which is small applications isnt a good thing) vs the moment having the 3d accelerator built into the chipset...
Saying the hero runs everything just as fast as the moment is like taking an Core 2 duo off the shelf and comparing it to a p4 HT in windows 2000... 1.5 has no real advances on it, plus the current stock kernel doesn't contain any optimizations for the S3C6410 chipset, when those optimizations are implemented (zefie did that in his custom kernels) a vast speed improvement can be seen...
Your attempting to utilize the Droid vs Moment argument saying the Droid runs as fast as the moment eventhough it has lower clock speeds.. What you fail to realize is the droid utilizes a Cortex A8 chip which is in the XScale family chip built on ARMv7-A architecture..

also note the MSM 7201A is a 90nm chip.. which the S3C6410 is a 65nm chip... if you dont know what this means dont bother responding

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
All I can say is go for the HERO! Samsung has crappy support for their phones, and HTC is the lead Android manufacturer. Also, if you don't like touchscreen typing try an app called "Shapewriter!" It makes typing on my Hero faster than my BlackBerry! I would recommend the Hero any day of the week over the Moment.
Idiot

The hero is yesterdays news.. it wont be able to support updates in the future even if htc wanted to make them because its hardware isnt up to par with the newer stuff.. if you dont want to go with the moment then wait for the next gen android device from sprint..

Upvote 0
Idiot

The hero is yesterdays news.. it wont be able to support updates in the future even if htc wanted to make them because its hardware isnt up to par with the newer stuff.. if you dont want to go with the moment then wait for the next gen android device from sprint..

Other than the screen resolution, I believe the Hero is nearly identical to the Droid, which just happens to be the number two Android phone now. I'm also sure that Google wouldn't make a version of Android that couldn't be run on Android devices! Though I can understand your hostility. I tried out the Moment, and I would be upset too if I had to carry around that brick with me all day. I also believe that the Moment won't support updates in the future because SAMSUNG won't provide them! Have a nice day! :D

Upvote 0
Other than the screen resolution, I believe the Hero is nearly identical to the Droid, which just happens to be the number two Android phone now. I'm also sure that Google wouldn't make a version of Android that couldn't be run on Android devices! Though I can understand your hostility. I tried out the Moment, and I would be upset too if I had to carry around that brick with me all day. I also believe that the Moment won't support updates in the future because SAMSUNG won't provide them! Have a nice day! :D
HERO IDENTICAL TO THE DROID? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA My original statement still stands
FYI: Samsung provided a real MR update faster then HTC did for the hero... HTC has a nack of dropping support for their previously line when the new stuff comes out, and that is exactly what the hero is, the old line...

Reactions: LaShayla36
Upvote 0
Not sure where you get any of your info but the processor is the slower one in the hero, the moment is much faster and yes they will make versions that won't work on all.. The g1 cannot support 2.x because of ram/rom limitations, pls don't be so stubborn and simple minded that you truly believe what you said above

No shit that the processor is slower on the Hero. I think the 22Mhz difference between the Hero and the Droid that I was referring to is pretty negligible, however (though I will admit that I ignored the GPU difference, but the Moment fanboys all seem to be focused on CPU speed, as that is the only real advantage of the Moment over the Hero). As for the Moment, it released what, a month after the Hero in the US? They're definitely in the same "generation" for devices (unlike the G1, which was the first Android phone and released almost a year before the Hero/Moment), and (assuming that Samsung actually keeps the Moment up-to-date) they should run the same Android version for the duration of their lifespans. The major difference is that you have a large brick in your pocket with a crappy physical keyboard in the Moment, and a very slim device with custom UI and a reliable manufacturer with the Hero.

Upvote 0
you said you were certain google wouldn't make a version that alll androids couldn't run, just pointing out that flaw, and as for calling it a brick, that seems pretty biased to me, it is a great phone WITH a keyboard, and one of the best i've seen. so YES it IS going to be slightly thicker and heavier but it is REALLLY not that much of a difference, it is a different phone for people with different tastes.

Yes, I admit that my statement was wrong. I should have included the fact that they were the same "generation" of devices, and therefore would most likely always have the same OS (assuming the manufacturers keep them updated).

As for the keyboard, I just found it awful. It's clunky, and the buttons don't feel anywhere near as good as those on a BlackBerry. The software keyboard on the Hero is absolutely fantastic (especially if you use Swype or Shapewriter).

Upvote 0
No shit that the processor is slower on the Hero. I think the 22Mhz difference between the Hero and the Droid that I was referring to is pretty negligible, however (though I will admit that I ignored the GPU difference, but the Moment fanboys all seem to be focused on CPU speed, as that is the only real advantage of the Moment over the Hero). As for the Moment, it released what, a month after the Hero in the US? They're definitely in the same "generation" for devices (unlike the G1, which was the first Android phone and released almost a year before the Hero/Moment), and (assuming that Samsung actually keeps the Moment up-to-date) they should run the same Android version for the duration of their lifespans. The major difference is that you have a large brick in your pocket with a crappy physical keyboard in the Moment, and a very slim device with custom UI and a reliable manufacturer with the Hero.
You obviously do not understand anything that you think you know if you state the only difference between the hero and the droid is 22Mhz... try reading about Xscale Cortex A8 vs ARM11 Qualcomm MSM 7201A before you spout out stuff that is dead wrong
Yes, I admit that my statement was wrong. I should have included the fact that they were the same "generation" of devices, and therefore would most likely always have the same OS (assuming the manufacturers keep them updated).

As for the keyboard, I just found it awful. It's clunky, and the buttons don't feel anywhere near as good as those on a BlackBerry. The software keyboard on the Hero is absolutely fantastic (especially if you use Swype or Shapewriter).
Once again.. read.. then attempt to formulate a simple thought cause it is obvious you do not know what you are talking about

Upvote 0
I have the moment and my wife has the hero. we both love our phones for different reasons. i upgraded from the first instict to the moment because i hate virtual keyboards. i love the fact that the moment has a real keyboard because it makes texting better for me. my only problem thus far with the moment is the battery life. i am losing battery life very rapidly and cannot find what is draining the battery. i have tried adv task killer/manager and neither has helped

Upvote 0
seriously, someone spouts off about a 22mhz difference and doesn't have a clue about the processors within. Someone rattles off they are two completely different processors, stating what they are, and it's his job to do further research? He's not the one claiming 22mhz difference is neglible. If the guy is a neophyte, a little research and reading could enlighten him so he realizes he was wrong. If someone else does it for you, then you don't learn nothin'.

Tired of fanboy responses on both sides. We all know what side Numus is on, but he at least backs some of his stuff up with quantitative info.
Perhaps you could provide a logical refutation on that post. The whole "go read" argument is pretty weak.

Upvote 0
the one thing I've learned in this forum is don't argue with numus

Aww don't you mean don't argue with me?!?
Although I do find many similarities between numus and myself.

Now for keyboard... the moment keyboard is great. I've used the tp, mogul, rant, palm based, bb, and many others. The moment has thebest keyboard I've ever personally used, and someone making a claim that its "shit" who hasn't owned a moment is the true "shit".

As for samsung making good products vs htc... if they didn't, why are they the #1 mobile manufacturer in the states? Hmmm? I tried the hero, both in store and a friends, and while sense ui was pretty, the hero was much slower than my moment.

And since when does a couple of millimeters make one device sleek and one a brick? The moment has a great in hand feel, fits in any of my pockets nicely. If your so concerned with phone size, get a razr.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones