• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sprint's Mobile Sync Service - Not avail. for Epic - anything else to use?

Bmerz

Aug 30, 2010
Ok, so I ending up having to do a Factory Reset (after only 3-days), and now I am having to input ALL my contacts again manually - ugh! :mad:

After much searching on Google, I found that Sprint does offer a FREE backup service, however, it's NOT available on the Epic yet - I mean really?!? *rolls eyes*

So, are there any other safe + free services out there to backup my contacts? I'd much rather use Sprint's Mobile Sync service, but that may be a ways off yet.

TIA! :)

Thank you all for your responses! :)

I ended up just manually entering all my contacts into my Gmail account, and then syncing afterwards. While this was time consuming to do, at least (unless Google goes out of business - yeah right) it's all there, and should I ever have to do another factory reset, I won't have to do this again.

I am with you Android XTC!

Also, it seems to me with charging us the extra $10 per-month, on top of the extra $50 for the Epic - that Sprint could have gotten their Mobile Sync service ready for both the Evo AND the Epic!

Oh well, it is what it is. Gmail will do for now, but I do hope Sprint Mobile Sync gets up and running soon - as I think that offers a lot more than Gmail can. :)

Upvote 0
coming over from a dumbphone and having sprint move your contacts doesn't really help. it puts them into the phone's database not gmail's which means no syncing with gmail

You're in a smartphone world now. You have to break the dumbphone mentality which means you break ties with Mobile Sync. I think Mobile Sync was designed for dumbphones, not for smartphones because if you're using a smartphone there is the assumption you're going to be syncing info from some account be it an email based one, outlook, exchange, social network and so on.

Having all your contacts in gmail allows you to move freely from phone to phone and restoring everything by just putting in your gmail account info. It also gives you the option to edit from any computer by just going to www.google.com/contacts. The same can be done with your calendar as well (google.com/calendar). You don't even have to use gmail in general. I just use it strictly for market transactions and emails relating to apps. Otherwise it's strictly for calendar and contacts.

Not sure how old you are, but assuming you're on the younger side, You'll have more use for a real contact manager most likely down the road. You'll get into the habit of having one entry per person with multiple numbers for that person in one entry. You'll be able to enter personal info, adr's, b-days and so on. I know many dumbphone owners that have individual entries for each number (ie. mom home, mom cell, mom work) when on a smartphone you lookup mom and get a drop down of all the different numbers.

If you don't like gmail you can always sync to outlook via Samsung's sync software. So that can be done locally from your PC without an internet connection.

There are also backup programs available in the market for a few dollars. Sprite will backup just about everything except for apps (which I'm hoping it will do soon, at least the free ones). So text msgs, calls logs, settings and so forth get written to your microSd card and can be restored once you enter your gmail account and put sprite back on your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones